IGNORED

Driv5r... sorry, Driver San Francisco

Harsin

Only had a quick go at each of the missions so far so these are pretty uninformed impressions. All this "shifting" stuff is pretty confusing. Jumping from car to car via taking over the drivers by some sort of telepathy. I haven't read much about the game before trying the demo so I wasn't expecting this at all. Its a bit bizarre.

It all goes at a decent lick though and theres lots of traffic and pedestrians about. The handbrake seems a bit shit, I'm finding it hard to do a decent U-turn. Hopefully thats just because I'm not used to the handling though and it'll come.

The three demo missions are called "Prove It" where your introduced to the shifting mechanic, "Team Colours" is a street race where you have to "shift" between 2 members of the same father and daughter race team to ensure a 1st and 2nd place finish. The last mission is "Escapist" which is a good size mission involving lots of losing the police and making it to a some check points under a time limit.

Gonna spend a bit more time with it now so will hopefully be able to post some more informed impressions a bit later.

Not blown away by the demo, it's short and doesn't really allow you to see much of what the final game will probably offer. The handling is pretty wooly at first but starts to make sense once you are weaving in and out of traffic coming directly at you and getting those "phew, that was close moments" rather than just smashing into everything. I expect that once the handbrake and drifting around the massive corners of the environment make sense you could have some really good fun in SF.

As mentioned there's an impressive ammount of traffic and pedestrians considering it's all moving at 60fps and they seem to have nailed the opportunity for manic yet controlled driving through it all.

The demo won't sell the game to anyone who is looking to be impressed by it but it will give those who are interested in the game a wee taste of what to expect.

The MP demo could be the one which gets people genuinely excited for this.

If the cars handled like in GTA IV, I would be all over this.

If the cars handled like GTA IV's cars it wouldn't be a Driver game though, plus I hated GTA IV's driving model so I'm grateful in that regard.

As for the demo I loved it. Grinned like an idiot and in the muscle cars at least it felt like a Driver game to me. Really enjoyed the handling of all the cars they had in the demo to be honest. Shift worked a treat too. I don't really understand the complaints about the shift mechanic, it's fun and it works really well in the game. I don't give a shit about the story or however the fuck they present it. The Driver games aren't some prime example of storytelling. As long as there's muscle cars, cops chasing you at high speed and lots of alleyways with cardboard boxes and motorways to speed along and hills to fly over at very high speed it should be a blast. Can't wait for it.

Can you run people over? I kept trying but they all somehow had instant reactions and dodged at precisely the last moment

It's impossible to hit them, which is probably how they got their PEGI 12+ rating. Otherwise they might have been looking at a PEGI 16+ or even a BBFC 15.

Played quite a bit of this earlier. Bit disappointed really. It feels really polished and well presented, with fancily animated cut scenes and neat menu screens. And in-game it looks fantastic, but surprisingly (to me) I really didn't get on with the handling of the cars - it feels quite rigid to me, too rigid, and I loved the original Driver. As multiclunk says at the top the hand brake seems to do sod all. I can steer around slow oncoming vehicles fine, but tight turns and sharp manouvers are just impossible. Tight corners quickly became a total ballache.

It's like pressing the left stick as far to the left or right barely registers. I gave it a go for a good 30 minutes too thinking that maybe I just need to get the hang of it and brake more, or something, but no. I'm wondering now if there was a 'steering sensitivity' option in the menus I missed.

Just had a go at the demo and I still do not see the appeal at all. Identikit world/art, unexciting racing, sluggish handling and overall just boring to play.

We all loved the original Driver back when it first came out but the industry has moved on since then. This does not even come close to the impact it of that particular game. Ubisoft haven't managed to capture 'it' since then and it seems they did not succeed with this one either. Lets move on.

Just had a go at the demo and I still do not see the appeal at all. Identikit world/art, unexciting racing, sluggish handling and overall just boring to play.

We all loved the original Driver back when it first came out but the industry has moved on since then. This does not even come close to the impact it of that particular game. Ubisoft haven't managed to capture 'it' since then and it seems they did not succeed with this one either. Lets move on.

Just shows you though doesn't it, different strokes for different folks. This is probably the only racing game I've been genuinely interested in for a while. Last two arcade racers I genuinely loved were Blur and Flatout Ultimate Carnage, which I still think is the best arcade racer on 360. Sure there's been others I've enjoyed too but none of the recent racers have really stuck with me such as Dirt 3 or Hot Pursuit, which funnily enough I didn't really get on with handling wise. By no means bad games just didn't really do much for me. Saying that I still have Shift 2 to get so I must try that sometime. Of course I could play the full game for San Francisco and hate it but going by the demo I can't wait for it.

I don't think it's a bad demo as such, it's got something to it, it's just not one I'd buy at release. Given the sheer amount of stuff out at the end of the year and the pile already taking up space at home it's going to have to go on the "Buy when cheap" list, if at all.

Yeah not really impressed by the demo. The psychic shifting thing seem really out of place and odd to use, and the controls are wooly as fuck. Don't think I'll bother.

My sentiments also, although I didn't have much of a problem with the handling.

As is often the case, the three levels in this demo are the same as ones playable at E3 from now 3 months ago. Had hoped they'd include the director mode. Thus it's even more wishfully thinking they'll have it in the multiplayer demo later this month.

Is it just me or could the roads be any wider? Maybe this makes some the multiplayer more fun and manageable, but it's taking me away from the experience of this being somewhere relateable. The original Driver seemed far truer to life and thus made it feel more like a car chase sim than a game.

The super wide roads could be a nod to the accessability of Outrun 2, which to a degree, Burnout Paradise picked up on. But the boost feature, so massively takes the satisfaction out of losing the tail of cop cars. Makes it far less special as before it required some skill and cunning.

Looking back and seeing a cop that was right on you, then crash straight into a parked car or on coming vehicle, those were great great moments in PS1 gaming for me.

I've played the demo and enjoyed it, particular the shifting mechanic which is handled very well, but as others have said the steering just doesn't seem responsive at all. At any kind of speed trying to turn sharply just doesn't register and the car ploughes into a wall. They've almost nailed it but I just think the handling is on the wrong side of unforgiving. I'd be interested to go back to the original driver and see if it was similarly unresponsive. From memory I don't think it was.

Oh and I don't have a problem with the shifting mechanic. It's just a good idea to get away from the usual drudge of having to get out to change cars and fight with a wholly third person character. I don't really car how it is presented, the fact is that it is a useful addition.

I'll give it another go tonight, but unless I hear of revisions to the handling or a sensitivity option it probably won't be an on release game for me. Also I hated the handbrake being on B, these days it feels completely unnatural and I really want to be able to move it to X. Hopefully the final game will have additional control layouts.

Basing off my own experience, many of the roads in San Francisco are wide as shit.

I liked the demo, but the handling does take some time to get use to. I've been too used to games recently where fully pressing down on the handbrake gets you a sweet drift, whereas here it will almost make you 360 if you continue to accelerate. So, that's a hurdle to overcome, though when you do nail a drift it feels sooooooooooooo good.

The coppers are unfathomably relentless, which I quite like, it's a damn challenge to escape them and is damned hard to do just by using speed, it requires you to implement good turning, weaving between traffic, maybe pulling a 180 at a busy junction to send them the wrong direction. The game makes you work for it, but this was in a mission where I wasn't using Shift liberally, so clever use of that could be the effective way of escaping.

Could be a contender, now for the multiplayer demo next week.

Wow, such mixed impressions. I'm still pretty impressed by the preview version, and did a bit of the demo last night. Will get back to that one later tonight, or over the weekend.

Really, I couldn't disagree more. The other day I was playing Driver 1 on my PC again, and pretty soon got that great feeling. Driving around casually, flooring it when necessary, getting cops on your tail, waving through traffic and ultimately making the getaway - only to enter a chase after that!

So far, I think they've captured 'it' quite well in Driver SF. Yes, the roads are wider (not all of them by the way, mostly the main roads, which is actually true for real-life San Francisco) and the shifting is very silly at first - yet when it clicks, it's definitely a brilliant way to switch cars without having to run around, not to mention the (imo) quite brilliant gameplay mechanic added during races and chases.

As for the way the cars drive: right trigger, guys. Right trigger ;)

Basing off my own experience, many of the roads in San Francisco are wide as shit.

Really, six lanes wide as shit?

San%20Francisco%20-%20Streets%20-%203.jpg

Compare to the original game in the same city:

490450-driver-playstation-screenshot-streets-of-san-franciscos.jpg

Oh this is worth a watch:

But skip ahead to 1:18, that's when the interview begins. A tad uncomfortable when Driver 2 & 3 get politely mentioned, as not as well received critically as the original.

:unsure:

Well when you have to jump around buildings while on foot, I can understand why you'd obsess about this.

I dunno, it is pretty mixed. The buildings around City Hall and the TransAmerica building seem pretty detailed, others when viewed from up above less so for sure.

Oh, this is from Biglime's Twitter yesterday:

They've already started digging a hole in the desert for unsold copies of Driver: San Francisco.

hatersgonnacat.jpg?1269800767

If you want an extra challenge once you've completed the three different sections, chose the last one again.

Only this time once you've got the cops chasing you, shift into a reasonably fast (but not super fast) car and then try and keeping up with the cops chasing the car you were in.

Deplete one or more of the cop cars energy bars an extra challenge on top of this.

:coffee:

Anyone found this in the demo yet?

Gonna love the in-car view. It zooms in when you boost as well.

Really? Great, here are the things I'd like answering if possible:

1. Is the Film Director mode as extensive as in Driver, i.e. can you set up cameras anywhere and at any angle?
  2. How do you save & share 'films' you've made?
  3. It says there are 200 missions. Are these missions all available on leaderboards to compare with friends, or are there a seperate set of challenges instead? If so, how many?
  4. Apparently there are 19 co-op/multiplayer modes, what are they?