Devil's Third

Kayin Amoh

It wasn't a great trailer, and not least because the person playing was absolutely terrible - you don't need intimate knowledge of the underlying game system to see that, especially when they weren't using cover properly and appeared to have some sort of god mode activated.

Despite that, I'm optimistic this will turn out well (from a gameplay perspective, at least). Time will tell I suppose, but I find it very hard to believe that Itagaki would ship something he wasn't happy with, even if the survival of his company depended on it.

I first watched the IGN gameplay stream, and spent about 5 minutes wondering where the tens of Millions so far poured into this game's development all went, possibly up Itagaki's nose by the looks of things :(

The official trailer made it look a bit better, with some stark jump in the visuals at some points compared to what the real game actually currently looks like.

Talk about development hell, this needs another 4 years in the oven or Itagaki might as well retire if this is what you get for 4+ years of work.

I first watched the IGN gameplay stream, and spent about 5 minutes wondering where the tens of Millions so far poured into this game's development all went, possibly up Itagaki's nose by the looks of things :(

The official trailer made it look a bit better, with some stark jump in the visuals at some points compared to what the real game actually currently looks like.

Talk about development hell, this needs another 4 years in the oven or Itagaki might as well retire if this is what you get for 4+ years of work.

I'm not sure what the effect of a publisher pullout and having two separate graphics engines pulled out from you would do to a project, but I can't imagine that it'd be particularly cheap.

Kind of curious as to just how long it would take to get a game running on a new engine. I'd imagine it's not a quick swapover.

I think it looks fucking superb. Not graphically, but it ticks all the right boxes for me from a gameplay standpoint. One of my issues with most shooters is just how slow you are. Most first person and third person games suffer from this to varying degrees, and getting stuck trying to shove past a pebble in FPS games is annoying as hell. The fact that it's easy and slick to move around looks to be a huge improvement as far as gameplay goes, and there's a ton to the multiplayer outside the gameplay. From customizing characters to bases, to what seems like a persistent online battleground to try and conquer.

The single player's the main issue. I'm getting used to the main character now that the shock's wearing off, but the AI is terrible and the framerate's sketchy. Both of which Valhalla have promised they're working hard on fixing. The more I watch the videos though, the less that initial 'four years of work and this is what they have?' stuck and now I'm seeing all these cool things I wish had been in other games years ago.

I mean, I played the Destiny Alpha and it already feels old. Like a cross of Borderlands, Halo and Defiance that doesn't feel quite as good as the best FPS games from a mechanical standpoint. I look at this and I quite fancy leaping across a building to cleave some poor bastard in half before lobbing a watermelon into a blender to WIN AT LIFE.

I am gutted that THQ went under during development of this game. I'd love to see what it could have been if all the money and effort that went into its development ended up in the final game, rather than getting wasted as things went awry. In the end though, I think it looks like a blast to play, roughness aside. It's not AAA, but it should be a hell of a lot of fun.

I think it looks fucking superb. Not graphically, but it ticks all the right boxes for me from a gameplay standpoint. One of my issues with most shooters is just how slow you are. Most first person and third person games suffer from this to varying degrees, and getting stuck trying to shove past a pebble in FPS games is annoying as hell. The fact that it's easy and slick to move around looks to be a huge improvement as far as gameplay goes, and there's a ton to the multiplayer outside the gameplay. From customizing characters to bases, to what seems like a persistent online battleground to try and conquer.

The single player's the main issue. I'm getting used to the main character now that the shock's wearing off, but the AI is terrible and the framerate's sketchy. Both of which Valhalla have promised they're working hard on fixing. The more I watch the videos though, the less that initial 'four years of work and this is what they have?' stuck and now I'm seeing all these cool things I wish had been in other games years ago.

I mean, I played the Destiny Alpha and it already feels old. Like a cross of Borderlands, Halo and Defiance that doesn't feel quite as good as the best FPS games from a mechanical standpoint. I look at this and I quite fancy leaping across a building to cleave some poor bastard in half before lobbing a watermelon into a blender to WIN AT LIFE.

I am gutted that THQ went under during development of this game. I'd love to see what it could have been if all the money and effort that went into its development ended up in the final game, rather than getting wasted as things went awry. In the end though, I think it looks like a blast to play, roughness aside. It's not AAA, but it should be a hell of a lot of fun.

Totally nailed my take on it. It's the speed and absurdity which appeals. I genuinely miss stupid shit like this, and I'm delighted that this and Bayonetta 2 have found a home on the WiiU.

The multiplayer looks good and bad at the same time. Seems like online is the main point in the game and the single player is just an obligatory and worthless campaign mode seen in most multiplayer shooters.

Imagine the inventiveness and the "why don't we put this in" attitude of Valhalla combined with Tecmo's resources...

The other interesting thing is that the multi seems to have Monster Hunter esque armour sets. The headgear and vests in the trailer match up, with additional bonuses attached to them - wondering if syncing your gear can confer perks once the values hit a certain threshold.

Also, you cant block forever in melee - at least against heavier weapons. The sledgehammer knocks an enemy's weapon out of his hand after blocking two hits.

I don't mind the technical shittiness of the graphics, just the design. It looks so bland :( Western bland, even.

Da fuck outta here man. That bald chain smoker with Japanese tats is a winner!

It hasn't exactly been four years of work on a single engine with a dedicated team behind it. If I had to guess this is probably four to six months of porting old assets into yet another new engine and quickly stripping them down to make them fit. Either that or a longer period with reduced staff. I literally know nothing about game design, by the way. What I just said is undoubtedly completely wrong.

Remember how I was sad during the reveal? I got over it looking like ass and now think it looks like awesome fun. Mainly due to the post-IGN showcases - the Gamespot trailer and Treehouse segment were way better.

That said, there's still a lot of work to be done. I can handle it looking like it does right now from a aesthetics standpoint, but not if it's slowing down every time there's an explosion and someone ends up in pieces.

Ninja Gaiden managed to be bleeding edge in its gameplay, one of the most beautiful games ever released on the xbox, and a huge amount of fun. It just goes to show that giving one man all the praise for a great game is a stupid way to do it.

The multiplayer looks good and bad at the same time. Seems like online is the main point in the game and the single player is just an obligatory and worthless campaign mode seen in most multiplayer shooters.

Imagine the inventiveness and the "why don't we put this in" attitude of Valhalla combined with Tecmo's resources...

If people thought THQ had trouble paying their bills, you don't want to be asking Tecmo for a budget worth a damn if you're planning to make an ambitious game, Itagaki mentioned ages ago that THQ had poured as much money into the game at the time as he had got from Tecmo to make almost every single game he ever developed for them, that is the gulf in resources available.

I don't think you'd want to imagine what a relative fiver can buy you when trying to make big budget bombastic action games... :)

I saw a snippet of the multiplayer mode, looks more like what the original reveal trailer was about, and didn't look nearly as awful as the single player mode.

It looks totally ugly, but totally amazing. This is the kind of game that suits crap graphics anyway to be honest. I'm slightly hyped for this.

I'm also looking forward to this. reminds me of Outtrigger - best arcade FPS ever.

In all honesty, I think Outtrigger has the slightly better graphics, adjusted for whatever the graphics equivalent of inflation is.

After watching most of the Gamespot interview, the comments about it basically being imagined as a online multiplayer game seems very true, Bilson seemed to spend most of his time talking about the multiplayer features and how much fun the team at THQ used to have playing it, the amount of Avatar customisation and the talk of regional maps and territorial metagame convinces me that was the primary focus of the project from the very beginning, the THQ reveal trailer was pretty much all arena-esque, they've just gone less grounded Western in the art aesthetic.

The Gamespot stream even managed to make the single player look passable, so should deliver if you like online competitive games. I wonder what happened to the deal with Doobic games for the PC and tablet versions, apart from the obvious.