Mario Kart 3DS

matt!

Tbh the more I see of the 3DS, the more the graphics on this thing look only slightly better than the ds, certainly nowhere near the wii.

My iPhone/iPad will be more powerful. Of course I'll get one, but couldn't ninty have put more power under the hood?

IGN says about the 3DS version of Snake Eater:

"The demo is slow crawl through the jungle where the camera will push through the foliage and slide along an enormous crocodile – this really shows off the texturing and lighting effects of the engine used in the game. Eventually you'll meet up with Snake and watch him bolt across a rope bridge after being pursued by a swarm of deadly jungle bugs. After a quick bit of acrobatics to show off the amazing depth of the 3DS system's stereoscopic display, you hit the title screen that shows off even more stereoscopic 3D in the title itself. "

"The graphics look on par with (or even better than) the PlayStation 2 version of Snake Eater – developers told us prior to the debut of the 3DS that the hardware is well beyond Wii and approaching 360/PS3 capabilities with what the system can do, and when you see this demo in action you can see why they would have said that. "

Judging from those shots this won't be as Plastic wheel-wide or as overly saccharine as the Wii game. It looks much more hardcore and focused, the tracks in those shots look nice and tight. The visual style is spot on, just the right balance of fun colours and shades. Also, yay for actual go karts.

Driving through that Princess Peach castle entrance will look amazing in 3D.

"The graphics look on par with (or even better than) the PlayStation 2 version of Snake Eater – developers told us prior to the debut of the 3DS that the hardware is well beyond Wii and approaching 360/PS3 capabilities with what the system can do, and when you see this demo in action you can see why they would have said that. "

Hmm.

Graphics don't look *that* good.

Tbh the more I see of the 3DS, the more the graphics on this thing look only slightly better than the ds, certainly nowhere near the wii.

My iPhone/iPad will be more powerful. Of course I'll get one, but couldn't ninty have put more power under the hood?

Someone on GAF has this to say:

As far as graphical fidelity, it looks like it's on par with current generation PowerVR-ish hardware - programmable shader class mobile hardware, I think. Definitely more powerful than PSP, maybe even better than Wii.

IGN:

Then why does Nintendo come up with slightly uprated N64 games? Where are my GameCube ports? I want F-Zero GX!

F'ing-ZERO GX!!!

• 11 months later...

Gameplay video!

Too much like Mario Kart Wii: over-sized, wide tracks, and lots of speed boosts. :(

If only we could have a new Mario Kart that was like Super Mario Kart – like actual karting, short, tight tracks and lots of laps, which was a big part of the gameplay appeal. Rather than just Mario Characters in Fantasy Vehicles, as the series has become.

Worse still, is it looks like it uses 'A' to accelerate. I found playing Mario Kart DS on the original phat DS to be crippling experience. The button placement was a big part - the A button on the entire DS line is too far to the right edge to be in a natural, comfortable position.

Retro are working on this.

Indeed. More details:

- Releasing this holiday (!!)

- Kart customization (wheels, glider, body can be changed)

- Can go underwater

- Going off jumps automatically launches a glider function, allowing you to glide

- Runs at 60FPS (!!)

- Retro Studios involved with track creation

- Hang gliders are on every bike

- Miyamoto wanted to call it "Super Mario Kite” because he loves gliding

• 5 weeks later...