Mario Kart 3DS

matt!

Are the unlocks random then? It's just I dont think I have a bat glider yet.

I also havent played any of the 150cc GPs yet and have spent all my time online so no hidden characters for me (although I did charge through the 50cc races when I first got it to unlock them all and get my Mii).

Do you get anything for completing the 100cc races? I tend to run through everything in order before moving up to the next class but I'm not sure there is much point if 100cc doesnt offer any unlocks.

I've done a few of the 150cc cups. Surprisingly stress free. I haven't had to redo do any yet, even with the inevitable blue shell shaftings. Disappointingly slow, though. Or maybe I've been playing too much Motorstorm Apocalypse this week.

Once you've unlocked Shy Guy, how can you use anything else? My Mii has Yoshi's voice, so he can sod off.

I've done a few of the 150cc cups. Surprisingly stress free. I haven't had to redo do any yet, even with the inevitable blue shell shaftings. Disappointingly slow, though. Or maybe I've been playing too much Motorstorm Apocalypse this week.

Once you've unlocked Shy Guy, how can you use anything else? My Mii has Yoshi's voice, so he can sod off.

My Mii kept making some really annoying noise every few seconds. I don't know if it's Yoshi's voice.

Are the character choices in this purely aesthetic and all the difference is in the customisation options? Or is it still like the old ones where DK and Bowser are faster top speed with low acceleration and heavier etc? I can't seem to tell at the moment.

I also don't really get the point of some of the options because you're stuck in a set of races that could be totally random (if online) so going with a certain setup could end up being worse through bad luck. I generally go middle of the road as I haven't got the super 7 yet, which I imagine is the best.

Also, I saw a ghost snaking on straights in the 7 at once mode and he did just beat me although it wasn't my best bit of racing, I thought this didn't work in this one? Like I say, he didn't wipe the floor with me so I think the ghost wasn't aware it's not as borked in this one.

I did everything in order (and the bat glider was my first unlock, I think) and I don't remember there being anything for 100cc. I'd never not do things in order though.

It must be random yet, as I haven't got it yet. On my train ride today, as I'd collected 800 coins I unlocked the final kart. The only wheels missing are the gold ones you get for 1 starting (or better) every GP in all the speeds. That just leaves the bat glider, I think.

EDIT: reading other comments, I'm still missing a bunch more.

As for general unlocks, winning all cups in 50cc makes your Mii available to race with. You get nothing for winning 100cc. With each 150cc cup you win, you unlock a hidden character. Once you've got gold on all 150cc cups, you unlock 150cc Mirror Mode. Getting gold with a minimum of 1 star on every cup (all 50cc, all 100cc etc) you unlock the golden wheels.

I think that's about it.

I fucking love this game. Played my first online last night, and won three out of three. I might retire now, with a perfect win-loss record.

I've just got the mirror mode cups to gold now, than I have aced single player. The big, big difference between this game and every other one in the series is how the difficulty of the faster modes isn't increased with cheap, CPU cheating. The few times I have failed to win a cup, due to getting shelled / knocked off on the latter stages of the final lap, have been annoying, by my blood has stayed at body temperature rather than boiling due to these being infrequent. The tone down nature of the items is a huge relief, as getting spammed by multiple items was a huge issue in MK DS and MK Wii.

In the faster speeds, they're harder to win as the CPU drivers are better at racing. As far as I can tell, CPU drivers always appears to abide to the same rule-set as you. I like that in 150cc, 5-6 of them will get speed starts and just how aggressive they are. On Rainbow Road this morning, I was having a nerve wrecking battle with Honey Queen - the fat bitch was trying to nudge me off the track, and I was trying to do the same to her. While I would be happier if blue shells didn't existi in the game, the number of times I had not come first due to a cheap blue shell is on a par with the number of times I have been able to claim first after the CPU driver in first getting hit by one.

Overall, this is probably my favourite Mario Kart. Which is some complement seeing as how much I love Super Mario Kart. I will always prefer the original for time trials and battle mode, but for actual racing, this one trumps it.

Had some good games tonight, it's getting fierce. Managed to join Angel, Harsin and Andrew - whose muk name I'm not sure of.

I know everyone keeps repeating everyone else but this game is insanely honed and polished. It's stopping me playing Zelda it's that good.

I don't think I've read one word of criticism in this thread, which is something even the top, top games don't manage.

I'm excited! Go easy on me!

I'm still unsure as to the merit of gliding in relation to lap times. It seems to be slower than going on the ground.

I went from 2nd to 6th on Rainbow Road (the new one) in the section at the end where you can either glide through all the stars, or go on the ground and over the boost jumps.

Problem is, gliding feels really nice in this and I love doing in. In fact, gliding in this is so well done that Pilotwings Resort now feels like a bunch of Mario Kart mini games, rather than a fully fledged game in its own right.

This game is vicious online, i'm sure i've just witnessed Donut being Blue shelled right on the finish line, he was suspiciously absent from the next race.

Tip, use the racoon tail to glide and swim longer distances.

:lol:

Awesome races there! Some horrendous last minute robbery going on. I will be back :P

They've got the weapon balance down much better than the Wii version.

Had some good games tonight, it's getting fierce. Managed to join Angel, Harsin and Andrew - whose muk name I'm not sure of.

I know everyone keeps repeating everyone else but this game is insanely honed and polished. It's stopping me playing Zelda it's that good.

I don't think I've read one word of criticism in this thread, which is something even the top, top games don't manage.

I'm excited! Go easy on me!

I saw you in one race but it gave me a bunch of new people the next race. Boo.

Was that a race I was in Donut? I remember storming into second or third place from about 7th right over the line through sheer ridiculousness and chaos, explosions and shells everywhere - drivers all over the show :D

I saw you in one race but it gave me a bunch of new people the next race. Boo.

Yeah I for a connection error and tried to rejoin you bit it wasn't happening. Tomorrow :)