Mario Kart 3DS

matt!

Community seems bit of a bust, i rarely see more than 1 or 2 in there, joining friends in worldwide games is the way to go.

Still enjoying this immensely, every race has outrageous bad fortune and epic near misses, shit indeed happens.

Once you get in to the higher ranks of 3000 plus you start getting Mirror tracks with alarming regularity, it really messes with my head. Also everyone is REALLY good and one little mistake will cost you dearly, love it dearly.

Yeah, I've started coming across the mirror tracks online too. Keep you on your toes I guess!

The community stuff seems to suit larger groups, such as the ones Nintendo set up. I was racing in the GAF one the other night, each lobby I raced in had at least 6 players in, but then they do have around 500 players. The connection errors don't really help matters either, they seem to be completely random - I've had plenty of people join me and disconnect as the race starts, only to join me again later on and complete a whole GP with no issues, so it's definitely not a NAT thing. Hope Nintendo are on the case with a fix.

I love how time trials and ghosts just download through spot pass... you see your wee self on a graph and folks not as good as you and folks who are better... chose the ghost and away you go. Spent ages on some tracks trying to beat the ghosts of folks a bit faster than me. Reckoned that I just don't have the kart or wheels required to keep up with them...

It's not killed it for me at all; I'm still working through 3-starring the cups. I've not had a serious time trial session yet, but I tend to find one twisty track I like and just obssess. It would be so, so good to have friends wake up one morning with their 3DS' blue light on, and a message with a photo of your Mii, the track as the background, and a wee green number telling them just how many tenths of a second quicker than them you were.

It's not killed it for me at all; I'm still working through 3-starring the cups. I've not had a serious time trial session yet, but I tend to find one twisty track I like and just obssess. It would be so, so good to have friends wake up one morning with their 3DS' blue light on, and a message with a photo of your Mii, the track as the background, and a wee green number telling them just how many tenths of a second quicker than them you were.

aye - that would be good.

I've done all of 50cc to unlock stuff but moved straight onto 150cc and concentrating on 3 starring... is there any point in doing 100cc?

I'm sure i've spotted someone from my friends list turning up as a TT ghost. I reckon most people just haven't bothered doing any TT's yet.

Some ghosts i'm getting from Japan are insane, way, way quicker than the fastest staff ghost.

It's a massive oversight not being able to share friends time trial ghosts. I'm getting a bit fed up of racing against Japsnese people all the fruckin time too. I'd imagine we'd be guaranteed a steadier connection where there an option to limit it to UK or Europe.

It's worth time trialing tracks that give you bother, if you're that arsed about it. You don't necessarily have to nail all the shortcuts, but boosting wherever you can and keeping yourself protected from weapons (blue shells aside) should be enough.

It's easier than the previous games. The GBA version required you to finish the GP under a set time limit AND have coins maxed out on each race.

It's worth time trialing tracks that give you bother, if you're that arsed about it. You don't necessarily have to nail all the shortcuts, but boosting wherever you can and keeping yourself protected from weapons (blue shells aside) should be enough.

It's easier than the previous games. The GBA version required you to finish the GP under a set time limit AND have coins maxed out on each race.

Blue shells are infuriatingly cheap and I'd be happy if they weren't in the game.

Is there any reward for 3-starring everything or is it just for completists? I'm not that fussed if there isn't a reward.

Blue shells are infuriatingly cheap and I'd be happy if they weren't in the game.

Is there any reward for 3-starring everything or is it just for completists? I'm not that fussed if there isn't a reward.

You can dodge blue shells with a shroom by boosting just before it drops on you.

I believe the reward for 3 starring is

Gold tyres. And probably* a new title screen, if previous MKs are anything to go by.

*this could be a massive lie

edit - ah, gold tyres are awarded for getting at least 1 star.

Cleared all cups with at least one star this morning.

Unlocked :

Gold Wheels, which give the best top speed, but at the expense of every other stat.

The top picture on the main menu now changes each time I play. I think it cycles through all the characters. Had Yoshi and DK so far.

Cross the line in first for every lap of each race.

No, that can't be it. I think you have to win each race, and have been out in front for a certain period of time. Or win each race and get so many coins, as per Super Circuit. I'm not sure which one.

I've three started all 50cc and 100cc, and I'm working my way back through the 150cc and Mirror cups that I only one starred. Three starring Mirror is probably beyond my tolerance levels to achieve, as it's not a lack of skill that prevents me three staring each cup, but fucking blue and red shells.

Does anyone else have trouble playing online? I don't know if it's my crap internet connection or router, but if I try to join a worldwide game I just get 'please wait' forever, the same if I try joining the 'Mario Cup' community, and other communities (ike rllmuk) I can enter but there's no one there...