Mario Kart 3DS

matt!

No, that can't be it. I think you have to win each race, and have been out in front for a certain period of time. Or win each race and get so many coins, as per Super Circuit. I'm not sure which one.

Just did a quick test on 100cc Mushroom Cup. Won every race, finished with 6, 6, 8 and 10 coins respectively, lead for the majority of every race. Got overtaken a couple of times but managed to cross the line in first on each lap and got 3 stars. So I reckon your first theory is the winner.

edit - tried it again making sure I collected no coins in the first two races and 3 starred it again, so coins definitely don't appear to be a factor.

I'm Shy Guy, Pipe Frame, Red Monster Wheels, Bat Glider. Decent acceleration, top speed and off road, but nothing great. I just wanted a car that would get me up and going again after being shelled up the rear.

I'd probably choose something different if I started concentrating on Time Trials.

I was reading up on this star ratings guff for the Wii and no-one seemed to know but some guy who did an awful lot of thinking about this has argued convincingly that star ratings depend on time and time alone. Not race time, but each individual lap of each race time. This may be in practice almost the same as being first in every lap in every race but not exactly - you may be allowed one duff lap (depending on how generous their limits are).

Managed to get some Worldwide action earlier. Had such a painful moment on Wuhu Island circuit - was in first place and taking the detour near the end where you hangglide from the lighthouse, got hit by a blue shell midair, landed on the grass below on tyres ill-suited to off-road, got passed by EVERYONE and finished in 7th.

Had a better time later on DK Pass, was leading until a Japanese guy playing as Wario hit me with something, I stuck in 2nd, though, as everyone else was a ways behind, he got blue-shelled and as I was passing him I tanuki-tailed his face. I got blue-shelled just before the finish line but still made it over in 1st.

It's hard to decide whether things like blue shells just make the whole thing too cheap, or whether it evens out the whole experience so that less-skilled players can still play with really good players. Blue shells rarely directly benefit the one using them all that much.

Getting hit with a blue shell is not much different than a red shell and theres rarely more than a couple per race. It's there to stop the leader mincing off in to the distance with a clear track ahead. Yeah they can fuck you up big time but it's usually amusing.

Getting hit with a blue shell is not much different than a red shell and theres rarely more than a couple per race. It's there to stop the leader mincing off in to the distance with a clear track ahead. Yeah they can fuck you up big time but it's usually amusing.

Red shells are much easier to defend against. All you have to do is trail a weapon behind you and the red shell will hit it.

It's hard to decide whether things like blue shells just make the whole thing too cheap, or whether it evens out the whole experience so that less-skilled players can still play with really good players. Blue shells rarely directly benefit the one using them all that much.

I can just about accept the existence of Blue Shells when playing against other people. But offline, they can get fucked. It's never, ever been fun in games when you feel the CPU has cheated to beat you, and Blue Shells are the physical embodiment of this.

Beat the first two cups on 50cc - lots of fun and looks great, with a much lower reliance on weapons than before! Seems like there's much less rubber-banding too, since I managed to get miles ahead of the AI players. And played two lovely online games that worked brilliantly. Think I'll be spending lots of time with this.

One question - is there an options screen of any sort? I thought my 3DS stick had broken due to my car veering everywhere in first-person view, then realised it was steering using the gyro sensors. Can you turn this off? Otherwise the first-person view is a bit useless, if you want to play with 3D on.

Beat the first two cups on 50cc - lots of fun and looks great, with a much lower reliance on weapons than before! Seems like there's much less rubber-banding too, since I managed to get miles ahead of the AI players. And played two lovely online games that worked brilliantly. Think I'll be spending lots of time with this.

One question - is there an options screen of any sort? I thought my 3DS stick had broken due to my car veering everywhere in first-person view, then realised it was steering using the gyro sensors. Can you turn this off? Otherwise the first-person view is a bit useless, if you want to play with 3D on.

Goto the Mario Kart Channel, then click on your Mii on the right, then goto Settings ;)

This my favourite Mario Kart since the Super Circuit, no question. Tracks are still a bit wide, but they've managed to distill down the stuff thats worked in past titles to produce a magic games. No bikes, great customisation and tricks on the jump button are brilliant. And no snaking. Really, really enjoying it. Only played a bit online, not seen anyone else one when I have gone to the rllmuk community page, but thats probably me playing at weird times :)

I like the game loads but im struggling with the circle pad, im missing the way the gamecube pad locks into fully left or right. When im holding L to keep hold of a shell, im not able to steer fully in a direction without looking at the pad.

Yeah have to agree with that, in more than a few instances with different games the circle pad has proved quite inaccurate. Really miss the stick locks from the nunchuk/gamecube pad.

Playing Fusion again now and the jumping/grabbing while shooting is occasionally hampered by the inherent imprecision. The d-pad is just too uncomfortable for longer sessions, together with having to use the shoulder buttons.

Sadly not VN1X - and while I am unhealthily addicted to MK7 and think it's possibly the best MK yet, some of the retro track choices are a little disappointing. I have no idea who thought Kalimari Desert would be a great pick...

Even with ramps, Kalimari is a dreadful track. Kudos to Retro for making it less dreadful, but it's just proof you can't polish a turd. Easily the worst track in the game.

That said, it's balanced out by the quality elsewhere. Even the fairly basic Toad Circuit is probably the best opening track yet.

Even with ramps, Kalimari is a dreadful track. Kudos to Retro for making it less dreadful, but it's just proof you can't polish a turd. Easily the worst track in the game.

Seriously? What about the Mario Circuit from the original SNES game. I know they feel they have to put these in for fanboys of the original, but it's just a bunch of primary colours and right-angle corners. At least rainbow road has some obstacles and fenceless edges, but I would've prefered almost any track from any other game to Mario Circuit bloody 2.