rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Capwn

Tomb Raider (2013)

Some rumoured details about the game from last year.

The folks over at 4Player Co-Op are asserting that a mole of theirs, deep within Eidos, alerted them earlier in the day with snapshots of new details for a Tomb Raider series reboot. The new concept art for Lara has her in a red tank top, a bow and arrow, what looks to be a hatchet and a torch. She’s also partially covered in mud, bringing a Christina Aguilera type of dirty sexy to the proceedings (anybody else smell advanced dirt technology being announced?). Other art depicts our fair maiden riding horseback (presumably covered in dirt) and fighting off demon smurfs (I think) with claw arms. Art of the enemies has a creepy looking Samara-via-Alex Mercer little girl and the aforementioned claw armed demons.

Other important details of note:

* The game has a large M label on it, which marks a first for the series. Can underaged boy gamers finally see Lara nude? Probably not, but they can expect her eviscerating stuff. With blood and everything!

* It’s open world, folks. Labelling it “One Colossal World,” the game purports to have a large, diverse multi-region island filled with things to kill, M-rated style.

* This is an origin story explaining why Lara is the way she is. I had always thought it was because she was rich and British, and therefore felt entitled to rob priceless artifacts and shoot endangered species in the head. At least now she can do it M-rated.

* It’s a survival actioner, with enemies “hunting” you. Possibly looking to kill you in M-rated glory. Or have a tea party.

* Did I mention the game was M-rated?

http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2009/07/1...reboot-details/

Artwork

w21XO.jpg

hHp72.jpg

DuDXC.jpg

:lol:

To be honest, I quite liked the fact that Tomb Raider was non-gory. The stories feels like a Saturday matinee type of thing, harking back to a more innocent age of gaming where things didn't have to splat into a million pieces, leaving their innards decorating the floor a fetching shade of crimson.

In short: it's yet another game I can't really play in front of my kid. And that disappoints me.

• Upvote 4

Make it like Uncharted 2 but with a bit less shooting and a bit more platforming. Done

• Upvote 1

I wish they'd get rid of the supernatural shit. I know it's been there from the beginning, but it was always the worst part.

Sounds like it's open world, with horses? Sounds familiar.

• Upvote 1

I'd like Tomb Raider to be more like Prince Of Persia mixed with Bayonetta. I thinkt he supernatural shit has a place but should be kept to a minimum so it seems 'creepier', like in Indiana Jones.

I would like more concentration on tombs and on the process of raiding them. The sense of isolation and of truly exploring a forgotten world in TR1 is peerless and has never been as well replicated (IMHO, of course!)

• Upvote 1

I've enjoyed all of CD's Tomb Raider games so far, so I'm glad they're making another one. Hope it's got a similar vibe of discovery and scale that Underworld had, but fewer bugs.

Not sure I like the M-rated survival horror idea, but we'll see how it ends up.

I thought Underworld was awesome. Great sense of scale. I hope they put in a more engaging collecting sub-game this time though. Finding those shards was a pain in the arse.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like it's open world, with horses? Sounds familiar.

Oh...Chr....nnggngn....

This might be getting it's worldwide reveal in next months GI...

When a sudden storm destroyed her research vessel, the young and inexperienced Lara Croft finds herself stranded on a mysterious island hidden and off the coast of Japan. Despite several signs of different people, the island is strangely deserted, and a sense of unease settled when strange sounds emerge from the shadows. With only her determination, inner strength and ingenuity, Lara faces challenges of a harsh and unforgiving journey that takes her through a wild and deep in the tombs claustrophobic and menacing from the past of the island. As she struggles to overcome brutal combat, Lara will push its limits and will adapt to her situation in order to survive and escape the deadly predators lurking every movement.

This island is apparently an open world in which Lara could move about freely. This episode is also the revival of the series that explores the origins of Lara and what led her to become the formidable adventurer.

The message is "A survivor is born" and we see a huge boat apparently being stranded. A survivor is born site was even created for the occasion and some have noticed that the tag Google Analytics page is similar to other sites maintained by Eidos / Square Enix.

The history of the boat aground on an island off the coast of Japan is obviously think we see in the image below, then wait a few weeks to get to the bottom of this story.

jsPbk.jpg

:)

Lara is a man now :blink:

Nono, it's her origin story. I guess the ending will be her sex change op. Not for the squeamish, I bet.

This is just a heads up that any Tomb Raider fans who haven't played the excellent Guardian of Light yet owe to themselves, especially since the equally-excellent online co-op is now available.

• Upvote 1

I gotta be honest, Underworld was a fucking mess. It had a good game in there somewhere, but it was hidden by a god awful camera and amazing new dirt technology on Lara.

Having recently played the good Uncharted and the amazing Uncharted 2; Lara is gonna have to do a hell of a lot to stand out in the field she once owned.

I gotta be honest, Underworld was a fucking mess. It had a good game in there somewhere, but it was hidden by a god awful camera and amazing new dirt technology on Lara.

Having recently played the good Uncharted and the amazing Uncharted 2; Lara is gonna have to do a hell of a lot to stand out in the field she once owned.

Oh look someones made the mistake of thinking Uncharted is a Tomb Raider game again.

Uncharted is a third person cover shooter with some easy platforming thrown in. I'm not denying it's quality. But it's not a Tomb Raider game.

Tomb Raider is a exploratory platform/puzzle game. It's - when done right - atmospheric isolation is totally at odds with Drake's wisecracking everyman and his team of double crossing partners.

• Upvote 4

I'd love a Tomb Raider with Uncharted's sense of place. The best Tomb Raiding moments do capture this of course, but Uncharted 2 absolutely nailed each and every one of the environments you found yourself in. That Nepalese village was just stunning.

In terms of platforming there's absolutely nothing between them; Uncharted presents you with the façade of platforming disguised with a thousand and one scripted 'fall and grab' moments, though I must say it did a far more convincing job of 'urban' platforming than Tomb Raider ever managed over 8 games and countless attempts.

Also I'd like to see them put some work into their 'setpiece' platforming, quite often what would have been a QTE in the recent Tomb Raider games you'd get to actually play in Uncharted. I'm thinking of things like the Helicopter and Tank attacks here, managing to convincingly mix the action and the platforming together without taking the player out of the game.

is this a reboot with a shipwreck, rather than an air crash, being the making of a young lara?