Tomb Raider (2013)

Capwn

Couldn't agree more. They really fucked up that bit if the game. The biggest dissapoinent I had in an otherwise fantastic game was that Lara's character progression was dealt with either a cut scene or something that was overly controlled.

Yeah, definitely. Pretty much every defining moment in the game control is wrestled from you and you're left to press a button, or hold right to continue.

It's a really weird game, I definitely enjoyed the time I spent playing it and the moments you were let loose to run around and explore were fantastic, but far too rare. There is an incredible amount of move forward, watch cutscene, climb a couple of ledges, speak on the radio, shoot some dudes who appear, collect item, watch cutscene, QTE, move forward etc. The spectacle of the thing was awesome, some of the set pieces were incredible fun to watch/experience but when you boil it down it's just holding a direction and occasionally jumping whilst everything looks incredible pretty around you.

What I really don't get if people hate it so much why don't they just stop fucking playing it and move onto something they may actually enjoy (whatever the hell that may be).

... I just find this incessant need to express how utterly shit it is, baffling.. If I get something I don't like I'll stop playing it, trade it, have a "bit" of a moan in the thread and move on.

To be disappointed something hasn't lived up to your expectations is fine. But to call people idiots/morons/fuckwits for liking something you don't is just playground shit that we really should be above!

Please note, i'm not calling anyone an idiot or a moron for enjoying this. There are currently occasional small sections that i'm enjoying enough to keep me playing.

Amusingly, its the combat sections (the one thing TR never really needed imo), as they contain real gameplay to get stuck into. Problem is these bits are linked together with pointless, totally linear corridors. Or mind numbingly simple interactive cutscenes masquerading as gameplay.

There's the basis for a great 3rd person shooter here. Also, with the incredible graphics and sound, the setting, the fluidity of Lara's movement, there's the basis for a great Adventure game too, one that could really take the style and complexity of the original games and run with it. Problem is, almost every design element is totally undercooked and contradictory.

On top of that the game treats you as though you're a right 'nana. It does most things for you, prompts you constantly, signposts everything over and over. It feels like the game is just one long massively condescending tutorial. For fucks sake, there's even a constant prompt telling you what button to press, in order to get help with the massively signposted, totally linear, corridor funnel environment. That despite the fact that i've played for hrs and hrs and am over 30% complete. Its like a game made for the gaming challenged. Its fucking ridiculous.

What I really don't get, if people hate it so much why don't they just stop fucking playing it and move onto something they may actually enjoy (whatever the hell that may be).

... I just find this incessant need to express how utterly shit it is, baffling.. If I get something I don't like I'll stop playing it, trade it, have a "bit" of a moan in the thread and move on.

To be disappointed something hasn't lived up to your expectations is fine. But to call people idiots/morons/fuckwits for liking something you don't is just playground shit that we really should be above!

Everyone wants to be a game reviewer, it's a childhood fantasy. What you are witnessing is just a way for grown men to live out this fantasy and pretend they are are saying something meaningful and Edge-worthy, and at the time taking potshots safe in the anonymity of an internet discussion board. Oh, and they often try (fail?) to be funny whilst doing so, thinking 'lol, someone's gonna laugh at that'.

Basically, I blame Charlie Brooker and Rab.

Dinobot, fuck off. You're polluting the thread just as much with your snide jabs at Smitty and shit attempts at humour.

You agree with what he's doing, and worse he's smashing out these long posts that people barely read. Because they're so long.

Then he complains people haven't read the posts.

I was hoping that a thread might not get Smittified.

I probably agree with a lot of what he has to say, except its just a horrible wedge of samey text.

Everyone wants to be a game reviewer, it's a childhood fantasy. What you are witnessing is just a way for grown men to live out this fantasy and pretend they are are saying something meaningful and Edge-worthy, and at the time taking potshots safe in the anonymity of an internet discussion board. Oh, and they often try (fail?) to be funny whilst doing so, thinking 'lol, someone's gonna laugh at that'.

Basically, I blame Charlie Brooker and Rab.

I think the problem is more that, people spend £30 on a game, they love it, then for whatever reason they start to associate themselves with it. Just like a Football fan will talk about his/her team as if they're a part of the squad and won't hear a bad word said about them, some people on here seem to read negative comments and take them as some kind of personal attack. They see everything as right and wrong. "If this guy's saying that the game's not that good, then he must be saying that i'm wrong. Fuck you random internet guy, you're talking shit, i'm never wrong"! This leads to people trying to explain themselves clearly, often repeating certain points. They're then usually met with "Fuck you random internet guy, you're talking shit, i'm never wrong". And so on and so forth.......:)

Welcome to the internetz!

I think the problem is more that, people spend £30 on a game, they love it, then for whatever reason they start to associate themselves with it. Just like a Football fan will talk about his/her team as if they're a part of the squad and won't hear a bad word said about them, some people on here seem to read negative comments and take them as some kind of personal attack. They see everything as right and wrong. "If this guy's saying that the game's not that good, then he must be saying that i'm wrong. Fuck you random internet guy, you're talking shit, i'm never wrong"! This leads to people trying to explain themselves clearly, often repeating certain points. They're then usually met with "Fuck you random internet guy, you're talking shit, i'm never wrong". And so on and so forth....... :)

Well, no. A lot of people have argued their points that they are actually enjoying the game, but are being told that they're idiots or just plain wrong and that they must be stupid for not wanting more from the medium. It's very tiresome.

Well, no. A lot of people have argued their points that they are actually enjoying the game, but are being told that they're idiots or just plain wrong and that they must be stupid for not wanting more from the medium. It's very tiresome.

Brilliant! You've actually told me outright that, you're right, i'm wrong. Excellent work on demonstrating my point!

It works both ways, there are people on here, myself included, that are being insulted and told they're talking shit for posting their honest impressions.

Truth is subjective. If you believe the game's great, then you're right, the game's great. If i think the game is poorly put together and horribly simplistic, then i'm right, it is. If someone thinks its a crock of shit, then its a crock of shit and they're right too. You want the truth?.........you can't handle the truth! ;)

Oh good, we're onto Kierkegaard.

I see Clippa is calling people "cunts" again. Will we get to the next page before the inevitable "What did I do, why are you all bullying me, I'm just one guy, I love games me, I own an arcade stick, come on then neg me you cunts" cyclical meltdown?

Brilliant! You've actually told me outright that, you're right, i'm wrong. Excellent work on demonstrating my point!

What? I'm not telling you you're wrong. I'm saying it's tiresome being told you're an idiot for enjoying a game.

What? I'm not telling you you're wrong. I'm saying it's tiresome being told you're an idiot for enjoying a game.

The start of your post was.........."Well, no". Thus you're right, i'm wrong! Doesn't matter though 'cause i'm right. See what i mean?

I agree though, i think its a bit shit that people go around insulting others just for the sake of it.

I think the problem is more that, people spend £30 on a game, they love it, then for whatever reason they start to associate themselves with it. Just like a Football fan will talk about his/her team as if they're a part of the squad and won't hear a bad word said about them, some people on here seem to read negative comments and take them as some kind of personal attack. They see everything as right and wrong. "If this guy's saying that the game's not that good, then he must be saying that i'm wrong. Fuck you random internet guy, you're talking shit, i'm never wrong"! This leads to people trying to explain themselves clearly, often repeating certain points. They're then usually met with "Fuck you random internet guy, you're talking shit, i'm never wrong". And so on and so forth....... :)

Well I wouldn't be saying anything like that for Aliens Colonial Marines. I got burned fucking hard with that one and I've only myself to blame for that one :lol: