Tomb Raider (2013)

Capwn

Maybe it's because this is the first new AAA game I've played since last year but I'm enjoying this. I can definitely see both sides of the debate though.

Personally, this is the game I always wished Uncharted would be. Less combat, a bit more exploration and more quiet-time in general. I've always found the Uncharted games a rollercoaster where I would be enjoying the locations and the gentle traversal and atmosphere, and then it would lock you in a combat room for what felt like 20 minutes while 15 waves of enemies constantly respawned. So far at least (about 30% in) the combat hasn't overpowered the other elements of the game to that extent.

At times the design of the world has reminded me a bit of Alan Wake, which I like, insomuch as it feels interconnected and fairly seamless, and you can see a location in the distance and reach it two hours later with a journey entirely on foot. I appreciate that.

It IS a simple, straightforward game, no doubt about it, but sometimes that's all I want. I like a genuine challenge as much as anyone, but sometimes all I want to do is kick back, relax, enjoy some absolutely stunning visuals (the animation and graphics have to be up there with the very best of this generation), poke around the environment, indulge in some slick combat and complete some straightforward puzzles. It doesn't do much new, and I doubt I'll remember much about in 6 months time, but it's a very good example of its type.

It finally arrived! And it's beeauuuuutiful. Dunno about Uncharted 2, there's a bit of that I suppose. The early stages are reminding me more of Fatal Frame and survival horror games of yore. In fact it reminds me of the film Descent in its mud-caked persecution of young ladies.

When the dulcet tones of the old Tomb Raider music pipe up it warms my cockles.

Man, what a good little adventure I'm having. Super into it now. My grievances are fading, or rather are just being accepted now, ha - FFS SO MANY ARROWS LYING AROUND.

I was expecting more climbing and platforming though. I mean I was in an area a minute ago and I just couldn't climb up loads of things that looked like I should be able to. :(

Anyway, I'm up to the 'blue smoke' bit - having actually played the radio tower now I feel it was a good section - sure I was basically choosing when to press 'play' on a cutscene, and it is a little bit of a missed opportunity as they could've given me a good bit of manual climbing to do, but the overall feeling I had during it was one which made me :) more than :(

Though it's early to be thinking about the inevitable sequel, I'm really really hoping they go more for proper exploring and climbing and stuff in the next one. They can still keep the spectacle, just space it out more, letting me feel lost in some big maps. The gear I'm collecting is pretty sweet (I love the way that things are designed and that Lara physically carries stuff with her) and starting a new adventure with full equipment could be all kinds of great.

And the sequel better have Croft Manor playable from the main menu!!!

Yep, the shanty town is a great arena for combat. I'm pretty close to the end now and I am thoroughly happy with it. It would be nicer with more exploration/ puzzles but I think it's a victim of what publishers expect in the genre these days.

I really hope there is a new game+

Played shanty town tonight and a few levels after. Combat really ramps up as does the visuals! Hats off to the environment artists and the engine. I thought this looked great in that first preview from E3 but they've really pushed it on. Amazing detail and effects. Console benchmark visually and I didn't think Naughty Dog would get topped.

It's definitely focused on delivering an experience as well as some more open areas. Different approach but it works.

Played through AC Tow....sorry Shanty Town. Environment is shit, there's no real exploration, its just a pointless AC style collectathon, the third Tomb/room also had the same puzzle as the 1st and 2nd Tomb/room.......odd.

However, certain combat sections have been great. Hooray!!!! The bit were loads of enemies flood on after getting the bow upgrade was really good fun. Bizarrely it was ROCK HARD too, which made it even better. Hopefully the combat now ramps up and takes over. Never thought i'd be saying that about a TR game!