IGNORED

Tomb Raider (2013)

Capwn

I'm enjoying most of the criticism of the game, it's totally valid but like Smitty, I'm not hating the experience either even if it does epitomise what gaming has become, a business that makes people feel like they are doing these cinematics.

If I'd paid full price for this, I'd certainly be singing a different tune, but I've wasted £20 and much more of my valuable time on things before.

It's certainly not our finest hour :(

How you finding the game?

Really enjoying it. Getting quite 'in character' and only killing when I'm under threat. It just feels right to try to sneak round baddies when possible. But the messy shootouts when I get spotted are fun too, especially now I've got the shotgun. I also like being able to choose upgrades to tailor the difficulty level to how I like it. For example, I like being short on ammo, so I've not spent any points of ammo capacity/looting ability. Similarly, I've kept my health to it's starting level to keep shootouts tense.

I don't have many reference points for the old TR games, except that TR1 was technically impressive and TR3 was one of the least enjoyable games I've played (so I gave up early on).

It's clearly very linear in an Uncharted style, but then that much was obvious from the pre-release videos.

I'm at the exact same point as you - just got to the shanty town.

Really enjoying it. Getting quite 'in character' and only killing when I'm under threat. It just feels right to try to sneak round baddies when possible. But the messy shootouts when I get spotted are fun too, especially now I've got the shotgun. I also like being able to choose upgrades to tailor the difficulty level to how I like it. For example, I like being short on ammo, so I've not spent any points of ammo capacity/looting ability. Similarly, I've kept my health to it's starting level to keep shootouts tense.

Yeah I'm managing skill points the same way.. I also havent upgraded any of the weapons other than the bow and axe, just trying to use them as much as possible. As has been mentioned finding the close quarter combat really opens up once a few skill upgrades have been invested.

There was certainly potential to use the skill points in a more original way though.. having it so that Lara continued to struggle to aim a gun until you invested in further training/upgrades for example.. This would have also helped smooth her development into a gun toting, axe weilding kiling machine.

I think this is the first ever thread that has made me question why I look at rllmuk.

Indeed. A shame, as there are interesting points being brought up, but it's getting sidelined by the name-calling and other inanities (a bit like the way Tomb Raider allows itself to get sidelined from the fun experience of exploring and shooting things with Constant Cut-Scenes, aha).

I've done three secret tombs now. They're a bit rubbish aren't they? So tiny. Any bigger ones further along?

Theyre too small but they do look nice. Id prefer if theyd havled the number of them but increased their size.

But yeah, this thread is a trainwreck so ill just say "i like this game and think its quite good" at the risk of being called a cunt.

Theyre too small but they do look nice. Id prefer if theyd havled the number of them but increased their size.

Yeah I think they may have taken the definition of a Tomb a bit too literally this time, so instead of the previous sprawling labrynths we got in previous games we now just get a small.. for want of a better word.. Tomb.

Definitely hope thats an area they expand on for future games... if they intend to build on this template that is.

Meanwhile back to the game - just gets better and better super slick and cinematic, some of the later stuff is amazing and the story is one of the best ones I've played. I'd take another of these please, the stuff I don't like is pretty inconsequential against the stuff that's done very well. You can see all the references from where they've taken stuff but its all bound together really well and I've liked the later puzzles too - short diversions from the narrative.

That's me, rationally making my point without reacting to the constant baiting. Point me to the post where smitty makes a decent, well worded argument and we'll compare.

Ban request for dr seedyman for being such a big ... fanny!

Are you really 33 years old?

Played quite a way into Shanty Town now and i'd say this is the first point in the game that has felt more open. The area is a good size, the graphics are amazing, but there's nothing to actually really do in the location. It just feels too open and empty. There are a host of collectables but there's no real point to collecting any of them.

In the old games this whole environment would have had a point to it. It would have been packed with exploration and discovery, challenging platforming and interlocking puzzles. You always felt like you were progressing, like you were getting somewhere. Here what exploration there is, is totally pointless. In this one area i've found something like 7/15 GPS caches. 4/4 alarms. 5/6 documents. 8/10 Crates and on and on and on, that all feel like they've just been plonked down on the map. There's no reason behind any of it, nothing to make you WANT to find these things. That's one of the big problems.

There's a bit in the Shanty Town, where you discover a big net hanging up, full of Salvage crates. To get at the crates you have to walk around and shoot fire arrows through gaps in the netting, to burn them and get them to drop down. Its simple but, quite a nice little idea. In the old games this would have had a point and felt fairly rewarding. Here it feels utterly pointless and like a total waste of time. Its entirely optional which makes it entirely redundant.

I then did another Tomb. "Tomb" makes it sound exciting, its just a room. What is REALLY doing my head in now, is that when you enter one, the old TR feel/magic is still there. The little jingle kicks in, it feels like you're entering somewhere interesting. The statues/architecture tower over you. You get that "right, what do i need to do in here" feel of the old games. You can easily see the game that could have been. A game that would have been fresh, unique, packed with top notch, intelligent gameplay and classy platforming. You then head back outside 2 mins later after collecting another pointless item and a map, that shows where all the other items in the area are, totally destroying what little exploration there is.

The combat is really good fun though. I get the impression that if you just charge through from setpiece to setpiece the game would be way better. In fact i'm guessing that that's what many people on here have done, seeing as they've finished it so quickly.

This is very spoilery this thread.

Whatever you may think, Aspel, can you spoiler must of that stuff. Some people don't want to read that out in the open.

Don't worry, there are no spoilers in my post. The net bit i was talking about is nothing special, its not a puzzle or anything. TBH i think most people would just run straight past it.

Really enjoying the combat in this now, especially using the bow. Feels very Resi 4. It could do with a few big boss battles though imo.

Hmm any PC players still not getting the camera effects working quite right? The lens flare and stuff is working, just the blood effects (i.e. during combat or when looting an animal) always look like lens flare effects :/ yay!