Tomb Raider (2013)

Capwn

From the end of the Shanty Town section onwards the game's really started to pick up. Its gone fully Resi 4, proper all out shooter and its all the better for it. Loving the bow, its all about the headshots!

I'm guessing i'm pretty close to the end now though, even though i'm only on 48%, as things seem to be really ramping up. Shame it wasn't like this from the start, they should have just ditched the tedious corridor wandering, condescending hand holding and all the shitty collect-em-up aspects and made a full on, all action, 3rd person shooter. Then just stick a seperate, proper, old school, TR game up on Live. Job done.

Has anybody got 100% on this? The exploration aspect seems to just be the GTA pigeons in disguise, only here they're all displayed on the map, turning it into a massive collectathon based chore. In fact, it appears there's no way of looking at the map without going into the menu, which seems like it'd get incredibly annoying, incredibly quickly.

Yeah, that's what i mean. On GTA, you have the on screen hud in the bottom corner, showing your location on the map. Here, to check where the items are, you have to keep pressing the back button, checking the map, going back to the game. Pressing the back button, checking the map, going back to the game. I went around collecting a few things in the Shanty Town. It gets REALLY annoying.

Oh yeah, also, the graphics on this really are fucking MINDBLOWING. I can't believe some of the stuff i'm seeing. It almost feels next gen in places!

...and finished. Nice little reference to future Lara near the end.

going back now with a previous save hidden item collecting.

I don't understand how anyone could actually want to go back to collect stuff after finishing; I'm not knocking you or anyone that *is* doing so, but.. you don't get anything for getting them, do you? Bar some XP maybe? And well, it's hardly like they're hard to find, (in my experience so far) they're just literally randomly spread over each map for the sake of it. If they had related puzzles, meaning you'd get that magical eureka moment for each one, sure, I could see the draw, but man, running through the same old maps again just looking for twinkles doesn't interest me in the least.

Did the second optional tomb tonight. Another single room. :( I really, really want a game that is basically a series of those tombs interseped with some exploring and combat. The ratio of gameplay styles seems all off in this, it's likw 5% puzzles, 10% exploration, 85% shooting/action cutscenes. Dial those up to an even spread and you'd have a super good game.

Yeah the 'optional tombs' are a bit of a tease really. They're like a small segment of a really good puzzle from an old TR game, that just make me want to play TR Underworld. It'd almost be better to leave them out altogether. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if they released something with large tombs as DLC.

This game looks fantastic at times even on my distinctly subpar laptop. There's some really nicely designed environments, For a laugh, though, turn everything down to Low settings. YIKES.

I don't understand how anyone could actually want to go back to collect stuff after finishing; I'm not knocking you or anyone that *is* doing so, but.. you don't get anything for getting them, do you? Bar some XP maybe? And well, it's hardly like they're hard to find, (in my experience so far) they're just literally randomly spread over each map for the sake of it. If they had related puzzles, meaning you'd get that magical eureka moment for each one, sure, I could see the draw, but man, running through the same old maps again just looking for twinkles doesn't interest me in the least.

Did the second optional tomb tonight. Another single room. :( I really, really want a game that is basically a series of those tombs interseped with some exploring and combat. The ratio of gameplay styles seems all off in this, it's likw 5% puzzles, 10% exploration, 85% shooting/action cutscenes. Dial those up to an even spread and you'd have a super good game.

Personally, i think the real problem is the original TR games pretty much hit a hole in one. If they followed that template and expanded on it, with the added power of the current consoles, they could potentially create a classic Adventure game. Not sure why they don't just do this and release it as a seperate download only title. Trying to do everything in a single game is bound to alienate people.

The best bit of this TR is, hands down, the combat. They should have just focused on that instead of adding all the kitchen sink style tat. One of the flaws with this is that the open area collectathon bits just don't sit well with the Action packed 3rd person shooter stuff. The pacing of the game is all screwed, and neither element gets to really shine. Its like trying to mix Die Hard 3 with Through a Glass Darkly. It just doesn't work.

I don't understand how anyone could actually want to go back to collect stuff after finishing; I'm not knocking you or anyone that *is* doing so, but..

I normally hate collectathons and tacked on stuff that stretches content out but I want to go back and experience the game world that I probably went through pretty quick. Ill probably not do all of it, but there's so much great art in it I want to go back and look at it all. Not finding all those ghosty dreamcatchers in the forest is also bugging me.

God knows how, but maybe because I speed runned after that game breaking fast travel bug but I've also missed a 'hidden' tomb! :o

..except for the few occasions where I'd like her to lean out to the left but she goes up/over instead. I agree its a good system though. Just a bit of a shame it spoils the surprise of stumbling on some enemies, and removes any mystery regarding how many enemies are left.

I've had to shelve this, due to my PC being crap. The benchmark runs fine, but when I'm in open areas my framerate dives; presumably due to my crappy CPU (Core2duo). Even if I put the settings to low it struggles.

One for the list when I upgrade I guess.

From the end of the Shanty Town section onwards the game's really started to pick up. Its gone fully Resi 4, proper all out shooter and its all the better for it. Loving the bow, its all about the headshots!

I'm guessing i'm pretty close to the end now though, even though i'm only on 48%, as things seem to be really ramping up. Shame it wasn't like this from the start, they should have just ditched the tedious corridor wandering, condescending hand holding and all the shitty collect-em-up aspects and made a full on, all action, 3rd person shooter. Then just stick a seperate, proper, old school, TR game up on Live. Job done.

Has anybody got 100% on this? The exploration aspect seems to just be the GTA pigeons in disguise, only here they're all displayed on the map, turning it into a massive collectathon based chore. In fact, it appears there's no way of looking at the map without going into the menu, which seems like it'd get incredibly annoying, incredibly quickly.

You're about half way through the game, if that. The second half is a mix of big fun shootouts, small fun stealth sections, better puzzles and large hub areas to explore. Personally I got a real kick out of the story (didn't overreach itself, always stayed fun) and watching Lara go from hunted to hunter. The change in her situational VO from frightened "ooh err, ahhh, ohh no" to full on Ellen Ripley "COME ON YOU BITCHES!" is pretty gratifying.

if you want to, you can hit LB and it'll show you where everything is once you've bought the perk. It adds them to the map but it'll also shine through the walls.

I at 71% when I finished the story. I fully upgraded my two preferred weapons and the hand to hand skills. I think I missed out on a single tomb about 1 - 2 of every thing you needed to collect for a challenge.

I thought about going back, but I think I've had my 12 hours fun on this for now! Back to Dark Souls!

Okay I went back about 7 pages but I don't see any classic clippa. C'mon, help me out here.

I can't, I have him on ignore so I have no idea what he was saying :( I can probably work it out though using my pound shop clippa-bot

Ironically, I think I found the answer for you in Off Topic:

What I want, is a [Tomb Raider] controller with a trackball. And an attachment thats lets me adjust FOV on the fly. Not just of videogames, but of real life.

What do you mean you don't agree? Well fuck you, and fuck your mum, fucking bitch, I'll slit her cunt throat. Haha nahh only joking mate, you're alright.

I fucking love consoles. But they are for retards really. Anyone that owns one is a cunt, plain and simple. A shit cunt. Nah not really. I'm just joking innit.

Oh look now the threads all about me. Anyone else and it would just be ignored or discussed sensibly. But because it's me it's different rules. Why do I get special treatment? What do I do differently you fucking diseased son of a whore who best part dribbled down the milkmans leg.

Nah only kidding its all part of the fun.

The really weird thing is he's only played about an hour of the game. His Steam profile says he's played it for two hours, but half of that was spent on the forum calling people gay, cunts and fannies. And you just know at least half of that first hour was spent in the menus too. Weird.

The really weird thing is he's only played about an hour of the game. His Steam profile says he's played it for two hours, but half of that was spent on the forum calling people gay, cunts and fannies. And you just know at least half of that first hour was spent in the menus too. Weird.

I wish this forum was around in the days of the Spectrum and C64, we'd all be playing excellent games while clippa rummaged around with POKEs trying to get the graphics to run full screen instead of bordered.