Tomb Raider (2013)

Capwn

I wouldn't mind reading decent post-mortem of this in a future Edge. I get the feeling its undergone some pretty major changes during its development. In particular the stuff with animals and plants strikes me as having a bit too much effort put into it for just kill a chicken and get 10xp. I suspect that in some earlier iteration of the game there may have actually been a hunger mechanic and since they'd already done the work thought we might as well leave the animals in when it was nixed.

When word of this first surfaced, it was said to be a open-world game with a J-Horror theme. Remember these guys?

7Icdbz1.jpg

I wonder if the sheer abundance of corpse caves is a holdover from this.

I actually think the animals and plants were added afterwards so you could grind XP once the island was devoid of enemies. I did some post-completion running around looking for trinkets yesterday and found a few enemies here and there, but once I cleared out an area they didn't come back, whereas the animals did. But either could work. I think the horror stuff came from an initial pitch they made to Square, they said something in an interview about a video pitch with Lara riding a horse along a beach with a voiceover talking about survival, and I think the enemy drawings came from that batch of pitch artwork rather than something they were actively working on and later scrapped. But who knows.

view_320200_1_1247420848.jpg

Ha, I did wonder whether I should spoiler it but thought it was in the public interest.

I'm loving it otherwise though, as a shootymans action adventure.

Just wish there was more puzzling. Fingers crossed for Tomb Raider 2!!

To save me looking through the entire thread can someone explain how the "Survival Instinct" thing works in regards to how long it lasts. Sometimes it goes off after a second or two, other times it stays on for ages and you can't turn it off. Is it random or are there some kind of environmental factors involved?

To save me looking through the entire thread can someone explain how the "Survival Instinct" thing works in regards to how long it lasts. Sometimes it goes off after a second or two, other times it stays on for ages and you can't turn it off. Is it random or are there some kind of environmental factors involved?

It stays on if you don't move.

Should get this finished today I reckon....What do ya'll think ?

Edit - please only look in if you've completed it -

Roth's dead, standing on a boat with the others, just been sent off to find a pulley of some sort, how long have I got left ? Got a doctors appointment in two hours so don't know wether to carry on now or after I get back !

All done :)

I really enjoyed it, I agree that some of the "hand holding" got a bit annoying, there were times I felt like shouting at the screen "piss off telling my what to do, it's my game and I want to figure it out" altogether though I found it to be a really enjoyable experience, especially from a game I wasn't really expecting fireworks from. Like it enough to keep it and see how the DLC pans out anyway

Completed it and I loved it, was a joy to play and gave me some great gaming moments. It doesn't feel like Tomb Raider at all, the optional tombs are just rooms but later the game goes on, the more it start to feel a bit like tomb raider. Despite not feeling like a classic Tomb Raider game, I can't really fault it. A lot of love went into making this game and it shows. A solid, enjoyable single player experience which I feel I haven't felt in a while. I can't recommend it enough, look forward to the future of the series now.

Lara's understanding of what was actually going on changed throughout the adventure but I thought

that she said she needed to burn the body in order for the storms to subside? Whereas at the end she just drives a stake into Himiko and all's well.

Still, it was good to see that Lara's Snowdon experience stood her in good stead for this outing.

Lara's understanding of what was actually going on changed throughout the adventure but I thought

that she said she needed to burn the body in order for the storms to subside? Whereas at the end she just drives a stake into Himiko and all's well.

Still, it was good to see that Lara's Snowdon experience stood her in good stead for this outing.

Well, technically it was a burning stake.

But at one point didn't she say that it had to be carried out in the ritual chamber? Or was that simply where she discovered the dead general?

Yeah, that's where she found Himiko and she did say that. I just assumed that Mathius moving her body out into the open meant Lara tackled here there, as and when she could.

Despite the fact that she stated it was necessary to dispose of her in the ritual chamber? It doesn't make sense. They could have moved the final fight (or at least Himiko's body) into the chamber.

The platforming in this game frequently looks spectacular but feels completely wooden to perform. At points it's as smooth and athletic as something like the Sands of Time but because everything is so dreadfully telegraphed, and coupled with the fact that there's little to no emphasis on timing, it means you end up feeling like you're a chimp being dragged along on a lead.

Flipping heck I know some of us have complained about having things spoon fed in this game but sheesh, I'm about halfway through and someone's only just told me you can (related to rope arrows):

pull enemies with it!!

:facepalm: I feel silly.

Whilst not exactly the reboot I was hoping for, I am very interested to see where they take things from here. Mechanically it's the best in the series, there are typically multiple ways to traverse the environment, and although there aren't enough of them CD clearly remember how to make puzzle rooms. The pieces are in place for them to deliver something more in line with my lofty expectations, so fingers crossed they take a sequel in a slightly different direction.

This game is too ready to wrest control from the player, especially at the outset; the first hour or so is the weakest part. The amount of mandatory punishment Lara endures is also farcical, managing to fall off or through pretty much every bridge and rocky outcrop she encounters. Such lack of restraint also rears its head during combat, the number of enemy waves inspiring incredulity at times; I feel they try to compensate for giving you too great an arsenal, when limiting your combat options to the bow, pistol and climbing axe would have likely made for a more interesting experience. As previously mentioned the puzzles are also few and far between, although conceptually I'm not adverse to the idea of sectioning off potential roadblocks into optional areas.

The above complaints could be easily remedied in a sequel. Of course the worry is that they'll double down on the combat and "hold up" bombast if the game's a success, so for now I'm back to twiddling my thumbs optimistically for a couple of years.

Purely on its own terms this is a very good mix of Uncharted and Arkham which I've little issue recommending, especially if you don't own a PS3.

Flipping heck I know some of us have complained about having things spoon fed in this game but sheesh, I'm about halfway through and someone's only just told me you can (related to rope arrows):

pull enemies with it!!

:facepalm: I feel silly.

Oh god. OH GOD.

Edit: just to be clear, I had no idea you could do this either and it's totally blown my mind.