IGNORED

80's/90's American Indie (some may call it 'grunge')

Oh Danny Boy

Hi, been listening to lots of 80's/90's american indie bands this year. I've been mainly listening to these bands:

-dinosaur jr
-nirvana
-mudhoney
-husker du
-sonic youth
-green river
-mother love bone
-buffalo tom
-the melvins

I'm now struggling to find any other good bands of the era, i hope i haven't already exhausted it. I listened to soundgarden, so far don't think much of them, same goes for pearl jam. I've just heard of a band called 'pavement' and they sound alright, i might give them a try. I've so far avoided all the bandwagon jumping post nevermind bands, but if theres anything decent among them let me know. Thanks, i know theres some good advice to be found on this board otherwise i would have never discovered 'Fugazi'. Cheers.

If you like Melvins and Dino Jr look no further than

[yt]Uu9lUbf5GQ0[/yt]

[yt]JQ7azI6OH9E[/yt]

[yt]CMR0J2bYDj4[/yt]

Also worth checking out

Butthole Surfers

Minutemen

Palace

Beat Happening

The Birthday Party

Mission of Burma

Silver Jews

Built to Spill

Lemonheads

Liars

mclusky

I don't think we're allowed to link directly from here but google shinygreymonotone for lots of lovely goodies

get shellac's first record

rockin'

Definitely this.

Some albums off the top of my head:

Sugar - Post-Husker Du Bob Mould project, both

and Beaster are essential. The Production has slightly dated them (Copper Blue especially), but the melodies burn through.
:rolleyes:

Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime

Helmet - Meantime

Sebadoh -

If you like Fugazi, you may want to check out

and Drive Like Jehu

I assume you've heard all the Pixies albums too?

[yt]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EgP3sNXdNU&hl=en_GB&fs=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EgP3sNXdNU&hl=en_GB&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EgP3sNXdNU&hl=en_GB&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

[yt]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

[yt]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

loads of great suggestions here. Especially chavez, who rule like fuck.

if you do try this stuff and like it i'd suggest Drive Like Jehu. Like everyone i go through phases but they're definitely my favourite band at the moment. To my mind their second record, yank crimes, is better than the first s/t one, but they're both awesome

Sugar - Post-Husker Du Bob Mould project, both
and Beaster are essential. The Production has slightly dated them (Copper Blue especially), but the melodies burn through.
:(

More love here for Sugar. Tilted definitely deserves another :D, and for the video to be embedded:

[yt]PrLcNWi94Wk[/yt]

Hmm

Afghan Whigs: Gentleman is the finest album of the period (probably) or maybe Black Love.

Sugar: Beaster is incredible.

Girls Against Boys: Venus Luxure No 1 Baby is pure filth.

Superchunk: On the Mouth, pure punk pop.

Codeine: Barely Real or the White Birch, awesome slow core.

Red House Painters: Ocean Beach, Mark Kozeleks voice is awesome.

Palace: Viva Last Blues. Possibly the finest palace album.

• 1 year later...

This is my kinda music. My Youth.

Great to see people talk up Chavez, they're an amazing band. Incredible.

You're lucky i wish i was there, its not just the music but the culture and fashion of the era too. Indie today is mostly just over produced pap. Its hard to find people who are very into this era of music, its too punk for the indie fans and too light for the metal heads, it kind of finds itself lost in-between. What i love most is the rough sounds, the thrashing guitars, the sometimes barely audible vocals and simple cords that is a feature of the era, some people don't like that, and i can understand why, but i love the music for that, these bands just sound more human, they are imperfect and you can hear their frailties in their sound. Music can all too often be overly manicured and in that process it loses its human touch. It becomes a product of a machine rather than a person. The music of this era was just the antithesis of that. Thats why i love this music :wub:

Been listening to a lot of the Babes in Toyland recently, the female bands of the era i just possess a lot of personality, a huge contrast to today where female artists are marketed purely as sex symbols and thus are never able to express their individuality.

You're lucky i wish i was there, its not just the music but the culture and fashion of the era too. Indie today is mostly just over produced pap.

Been listening to a lot of the Babes in Toyland recently, the female bands of the era i just possess a lot of personality, a huge contrast to today where female artists are marketed purely as sex symbols and thus are never able to express their individuality.

I hate this kind of attitude, it's just a sign that someone has given up looking for new music. There's just as much genius/shite in music as there always has been. I'm kinda growing out of indie rock but there's still some quality stuff about. A few tracks of me head.

My favourite song of the last couple of years:

I saw Babes quite a few times and they were unbelievably good. One of their gigs at the Marquee in about '92ish sticks in my mind as one of my favourite from that whole era and I went to see a lot of bands.

Female-lead bands of that time do have a special place in my heart. Stuff like Lunachicks, L7, Boss Hog, Hole (when they were good) and of course the mighty Silverfish still sound great today, to me anyway. Even bands like Daisy Chainsaw, Lush and Curve (Toni :wub: ) still get listened today, not American I know but for me that whole era just melded into noisy guitars and gigs......and cider.

Comparing them to todays is totally beyond me though as I nearly 40 and have no idea about anything.

I saw Babes quite a few times and they were unbelievably good. One of their gigs at the Marquee in about '92ish sticks in my mind as one of my favourite from that whole era and I went to see a lot of bands.

Female-lead bands of that time do have a special place in my heart. Stuff like Lunachicks, L7, Boss Hog, Hole (when they were good) and of course the mighty Silverfish still sound great today, to me anyway. Even bands like Daisy Chainsaw, Lush and Curve (Toni :wub: ) still get listened today, not American I know but for me that whole era just melded into noisy guitars and gigs......and cider.

Comparing them to todays is totally beyond me though as I nearly 40 and have no idea about anything.

Sounds like you were there to experience it all, i'm jealous. I was still sleeping in my PJ's back then, there wasn't a big cultural/musical movement in the 00's when i came into adulthood, indie was dying on its arse and hipsters started flooding our streets. Your a lucky guy.