IGNORED

80's/90's American Indie (some may call it 'grunge')

Oh Danny Boy

• 3 months later...

Shellac are the best live act I've seen every time I've seen them and that goes right back to their first UK gig at the garage so I try to make every effort to catch them whenever they play over here although it's been an aghe since the last time, a Halloween thing in Birmingham I think. We're off to Dublin to see them this time round as I couldn't get London or Bristol tickets..

Saw Big Black on the final tour in a real fucking sweatbox but missed Rapeman after their show was cancelled.

I fucking love Albini.

Shellac are the best live act I've seen every time I've seen them and that goes right back to their first UK gig at the garage so I try to make every effort to catch them whenever they play over here although it's been an aghe since the last time, a Halloween thing in Birmingham I think.

I think the last time I saw them was at the London leg of that, was it ATP's Release the Bats thing? They did the best fancy dress by far, Albini was covered from head to toe in bandages, Bob Weston was Frankenstein and Todd Trainer did an AMAZING Dracula. They stayed in character through the whole thing, I don't think Bob Weston bent his knees at any point :lol:

There still seem to be tickets available for Slint's first shows here in years if anyone's interested.

Yeah, that would have been the same tour, it was definitely an ATP thing. Or, at least, they were using the same costumes. I do remember Bob communicated in groans through the whole show and that people in Birmingham are very polite when it comes to bar etiquette.

I'm sure Lightning Bolt played that night too.

Yeah, I have Slint in Manchester on the 28th and Shellac the week before. It really doesn't get any better than that for me. Helen Money is an absolutely excellent support for Shellac too..

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Somehow this bypassed me at the end of last year - the Super Deluxe reissue of Badmotorfinger. Definitely one of the defining albums of my youth, and has become my unofficial 'Friday album' since then. If you've got 4 hours to spare...

In terms of newer grunge, I do enjoy some Senium, though I feel like their first album was their best. They've steadily lost some of the rawness in their latter efforts.

• 2 weeks later...

Sleater-Kinney are one of the best bands ever. Name checked big style on the previous day page. The band members early and later work is superb too, Heavens To Betsy, Excuse 17, Wild Flag and the Corin Tucker Band.

The Gits, band of the late great Mai Zapata, are another group often overlooked from that era. 

There were a few great women lead bands back then. I still regularly play the above along with 7 Year Bitch, Throwing Muses, Babes In Toyland and Bikini Kill.

Fugazi are the band from that era that hold a special place for me. Add in some Minor Threat and The Evens and I'm a happy man.

Goingto see Helmet next month. The new album is poor, so hopefully they stick to playing stuff off Betty.

On 2/7/2017 at 20:28, JohnnyNolan said:

Fugazi are the band from that era that hold a special place for me. Add in some Minor Threat and The Evens and I'm a happy man.

Totally on board with your choices here, but you're showing your age a bit with Minor Threat. ;)

Fugazi are one of my all time favourite bands.  Man, the 80s was such a good decade for music.

On 07/02/2017 at 20:28, JohnnyNolan said:

Sleater-Kinney are one of the best bands ever. Name checked big style on the previous day page. The band members early and later work is superb too, Heavens To Betsy, Excuse 17, Wild Flag and the Corin Tucker Band.

The Gits, band of the late great Mai Zapata, are another group often overlooked from that era. 

There were a few great women lead bands back then. I still regularly play the above along with 7 Year Bitch, Throwing Muses, Babes In Toyland and Bikini Kill.

Goingto see Helmet next month. The new album is poor, so hopefully they stick to playing stuff off Betty.

Joining in with the Fugazi love here, the last truly great punk band imo.

Babes in Toyland recently released a new comp. I saw them live a couple of years ago after they soon reunited. They still have it.

Good call on the Gits, it's a tragedy what happened to Mia Zapata, the band was no where close to reaching their peak. 

On 2/10/2017 at 03:45, catinthehat said:

Totally on board with your choices here, but you're showing your age a bit with Minor Threat. ;)

Fugazi are one of my all time favourite bands.  Man, the 80s was such a good decade for music.

Fugazi, Minor Threat and Big Black  were big for me but  I think Minor Threat  certainly pushed into the punk category. Started  listening to NoMeansNo recently again too. Quality stuff. 

This is the music I listen to when I want to regress into my late teens/early 20's.  Currently pulled this band's LP out to give it a quick spin, haven't listened to it in a very long time, its better than I remember it being.  They are a bit forgotten and never made much of a noise in theit own time but certainly worth a listen to.

On 15/02/2017 at 05:24, lolly said:

Fugazi, Minor Threat and Big Black  were big for me but  I think Minor Threat  certainly pushed into the punk category. Started  listening to NoMeansNo recently again too. Quality stuff. 

Minor Threat were definitely considered punk (or "hardcore") at the time, much like Black Flag and the Minutemen.

NoMeansNo are another phenomenal band. They peaked for me with 'Wrong' and '0 + 2 = 1'. Two of my favourite albums.

2 hours ago, JohnnyNolan said:

Minor Threat were definitely considered punk (or "hardcore") at the time, much like Black Flag and the Minutemen.

NoMeansNo are another phenomenal band. They peaked for me with 'Wrong' and '0 + 2 = 1'. Two of my favourite albums.

I love all of these bands. 

I've been lucky enough to have seen both Fugazi and nomeansno a few times before they both called it a day. Two of the best live bands I've ever seen. 

8 hours ago, JohnnyNolan said:

I was lucky enough to see them play live a few times too. I'm glad I was a gig monster in my youth, I saw most bands I like from that era.

Been to more NomeansNo  and Fugazi  concerts than any other band, my wife , who is in no way interested in that type of music though the NoMeansNo gig we went to in Whelans in Dublin (I think)about 6 years ago  was the best one in terms of performance and energy she's ever been to. There's a group on facebook- "NoMeansNo:We're so Wright we're Wrong" that you can join , has a lot of cool stuff- there was a dropbox link to 0+2=1 1/2 a few months ago which was nice, hadn't heard it before . Apologies if you already know of this and I'm just bumbling and  again apologies for hijacking the thread.