IGNORED

Dragon Age 2

JPR

There's the big down side to having voiced characters right there, it simply kills your character choices as you can't expect the devs to hire 12-14 VA just to cover the player so you end up with one race and a male/female choice. Dragon Age really felt different depending on if you play as a Dwarf or a City elf.

A survivor of the blight? we'll hardly be assuming the role of a character that has a disapproving mother will we?

I take it this is so at least in part they can fully voice the main character this time around. Still, I shall miss the joys of being a Knife-Ear straight outta the Alienage, elf steel in the hour of chaos and all that. Fare thee well, City Elf - you shall be missed.

I know how you feel.

I'm loving my lesbian City Elf far more than my bisexual human. :(

I don't think being stuck as a filthy shem is all that bad. Origins deals with the, well, origins of each race, and outside of those openings the experience isn't that divergent. Not enough to hire six lead voice actors instead of two, anyway.

You play as human called Hawke. Comfirmed here by Bioware's community manager, Christ Priestly.

I had a feeling they might do this. I suspect this isn't the only lesson they'll have learned from Mass Effect, and we'll be seeing more parallels in due course.

I had a feeling they might do this. I suspect this isn't the only lesson they'll have learned from Mass Effect, and we'll be seeing more parallels in due course.

That was my thinking too. It was an obvious way for them to go really considering one of the most common critisms of DA was the lack of voice acting for the player character. Given how well Bioware showed it can take on board criticism and improve with Mass 2 I get the feeling DA2 could be very special.

I don't think having a pre-defined protagonist is necessarily a bad thing either, Planescape: Torment was certainly a better game for having one.

Even though it's a great feature of Mass Effect, and it works well, I'm not that bothered about importing a character into the new DA game. They've created a huge fantasy world from the ground up, and there's all sorts of possibilities for new, different characters, and exciting original stories within that world. Playing as the same guy game after game would get a bit dull, I think.

From reading some of those details it seems the art style will be updated and if they're going for a look that the cover suggests then I like it, could really set itself apart especially for what will no doubt be a massive game. I've not played the first one but am tempted to pick it up at the weekend if I can't hold out for a GOTY edition.

I hope they expand on a few of the ideas it looked like they were trying to half-heartedly implement in Awakening, like the castle/lands upgrading and management stuff.

I hope they still do another expansion or two for Origins too, I really liked the self contained, compact nature of Awakening.

I really really must finish the first one asap. I started playing it on the 360 but I didn't quite get along with the combat system and after seeing pics from the PC version posted by various forumites (layte and Uzi iirc) I decided to get the PC version and leave the somewhat shoddy 360 version for what it is. I'm now planning on starting all over on the PC. Only this time on easy, because the combat was my least favourite part of the game - loved practically everything else about it though.

The combat is different on PC as well, the top down isometric view can make a huge difference I find

Yeah from what little I played of it, that alone seemed to be a decent improvement. I'm still planning on playing through it on easy though, because I found that I especially liked the lore, the story, and the setting of the game. I want to be ready for what no doubt will be an epic sequel!

You really want a game that actually lasts 87600 hours :(

Well........the number of playthroughs I am up to on the original now may be getting to that.

I just hope there is a little more too it than leaping ahead drastically.

One year per chapter maybe, with your actions dramatically changing the next year?

I hope they thoroughly Mass Effectify it for console scrubs like me.

"Hawke"

"Sten"

"Hawke"

"Sten"

Anyway. This has a real big pile of potential. I hope they keep the idea that you're usually picking from a selection of fairly crappy choices. Making the best of a bad situation and all that. But generally less brown please.

[quote name='False Roman Cancel' date='Jul 8 2010, 10:25 PM' post='7236117'

Anyway. This has a real big pile of potential. I hope they keep the idea that you're usually picking from a selection of fairly crappy choices. Making the best of a bad situation and all that. But generally less brown please.

Play The Witcher mate, I've never seen another game that forces you to constantly make the best of a number of crappy choices, there's very rarely a pure good or bad path.

At first I was a little concerned about them striping away parts of the original but I keep thinking they did the same with ME 2 and it turned out to be one of my favourite games ever.

We have The Witcher 2 and Dragon Age 2 coming early next year :(

Play The Witcher mate, I've never seen another game that forces you to constantly make the best of a number of crappy choices, there's very rarely a pure good or bad path.

I second this. What's also great is that choices from past chapters will suddenly have repercussions much later on and they actually affect the story as you're playing it as opposed to just in an epilogue. For instance I was tasked with speaking to someone to get some information, but as I'd decided to aid someone else earlier my contract was dead, forcing me to find another lead.

If anyone's enjoyed Dragon Age but never played The Witcher you now have the perfect game to play before their respective sequels come out.

If anyone's enjoyed Dragon Age but never played The Witcher you now have the perfect game to play before their respective sequels come out.

I've finally got round to playing The Witcher and it really is a fantastic game from what I've played so far, agree with this and would definitely recommend it.