rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
StephenM

Prince - 20ten

Free with The Mirror tomorrow in the UK, or with European newspapers in places where foreigners dwell.

Reviews, coincidentally written by the publications giving it away, all say it's great. They're also completely made up of the Prince review cliches - 'Greatest album since <Purple Rain/Sign o' The Times>', 'Return to form', 'Really, really funky'.

But it could be good.

(And I'm surprised that there's not already a thread on it! What's happened to rllmuk?!)

There's some OK moments on most of his recent stuff - with Black Sweat being a genuinely great song. But for most part it's only middling and often wanders into a muzak parody of his former glories.

Edit: It's just leaked on What.cd. Investigating.

Five tracks in and it's "worth the 65p I paid for the paper, but I probably won't listen to it again", though I was never really a fan of his in the first place.

It's pretty good.

Remember guys, if your copy of today's Mirror didn't have the CD in it, email cservices@mgn.co.uk for a copy to be sent to you :D

Wow, I had a feeling this would be decent but I had no idea I'd be treated to a LinnDrum Tour de Lovely. Seriously good album on first listen.

I like it! Linndrum central!

Beginning Endlessly is great. Sticky Like Glue is great. Act of God isn't great, but something about it works, I have no idea what.

But, most importantly, above all else, I think Laydown is incredible. A really hip hop influenced sample, sounds like it's a rap production of sorts, but with all the funky Prince I love.

Sticky Like Glue is so catchy and Everybody Loves Me is properly smile inducing. The whole thing is such a cohesive package. Wadda guy.