Good comedy novels recommendations

Lothar Hex

Well the very first thing you need to get hold of is "The Princess Bride" by William Goldman. Brilliant, wonderful, awesome book.

Christopher Moore I quite like, very wacky. Try "The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove" and "Fluke".

I used to read quite a lot of Tom Holt and Robert Rankin when I was younger too, enjoyed them quite a lot. Most of Holt's novels are standalone so just pick one up and try it. Rankin has a bit of a loose continuity that flows through his books so I'd start with one of his early novels, "The Antipope".

Larry Niven's "Ringworld" is also quite funny. Douglas Adams and "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" goes without saying of course.

That should be enough to get you started.

On a completely different note, the first Red Dwarf book, 'Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers' is very good.

I was going to say that :) The second book isn't too bad but don't bother after that.

Hitchhikers Guide is excellent too.

I've got to say though the book that cracks me up more than anything is American Psycho.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

confederacy_of_dunces_cover.jpg

The main character, Ignatius J. Reilly, is a fantastic comic creation.

This. Amazing book, genuinely funny. The story of the book is tragic. Myrna Minkhoff... yes please.

Oh yes and if you read any Robert Ranking books read the Brentford 'Trilogy', starting with The Antipope (as mentioned), then The Brentford Triangle, East Of Ealing, The Sprouts Of Wrath. I love that world, some memorable characters, Norman the rubber-fetishist newsagent is a legend.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...