Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, gravity0 said:

Anyone playing this on Fightcade? Up for some matches this weekend if anyone’s keen. @Qazimod? Has @TheShend retired his legendary Q?

Let me know. :) 

I've been playing on Fightcade a fair bit recently, trying to improve my Necro. I'll be on for the next hour or so if you want a few matches? I'm joffocakes on there too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This popped up in my recommended on YT and thought I would share.

It’s a competition of Street Fighter 2 Turbo on the SNES from 1993 in Japan.

I find this type of thing pretty interesting to see, just to get an idea of the level of play for the time. TBH it’s really impressive! 

• 4 weeks later...

Tougeki 2009 / Super Battle Opera 7

DVD release was a sparse affair this time. Whereas the previous years we got all matches, for 2009 we got just 26 spread across the event. Boo. (Match Time-line in the vid description)

5 hours ago, joffocakes said:

Been playing this a fair bit on Fightcade recently and watching streams of Necro player JMotive to learn from and I finally managed to land a post-stun corner juggle. It's not the optimal one for Twelve but it worked at least. 

“wow you think that guy would learn to block that opening setup” is what I thought for at least three loops of that. 

On 09/12/2020 at 10:04, joffocakes said:

Matt Leone has another Street Fighter Oral History article up on Polygon, this time for Street Fighter III. Some interesting insights from the devs of how the project was run and market perception at the time.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/12/8/22151873/street-fighter-3-an-oral-history

It's been twenty years or whatever but finally I can honestly say I liked something about SFII better than the equivalent SFIII feature.

• 1 month later...

Daigo Umehara parrying every single kick of Justin Wong's Chun Li super in Street Fighter 3: Third Strike at Evo 2004 is one of the most iconic and impressive feats of video game skill ever caught on camera. But it's enduring legacy is more than just being a viral internet video. To find out just how important this moment, Evo Moment 37, truly is in the big picture of the fighting game community, we talked with three FGC pros: James Chen, LI Joe, and Justin Wong himself. This is Pros React to Evo Moment 37.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Motives Unknown has put together an excellent Necro tutorial; nicely timestamped and links to even more info in the description. I look forward to implementing some of the ambiguous drill antics because my post-knockdown pressure is extremely weak.

I'm only just now finding out that backdashes do not have throw invulnerability in 3rd Strike. :doh:

I do pretty poorly in defence overall; partly due to backdash attempts being thrown but also to the temptation to parry meaning I rarely just block. My throw-tech timing is also slightly off because I have USFIV/SFV rhythms stuck in memory. You're throw invulnerable for 6(?) frames after wakeup in 3rd Strike anyway so I'm almost certainly too early.

I'm aware (but do not yet utilise) the defensive Option Select of blocking for 4 frames then jumping, which will allow you to block meaty attacks and only jump if they throw. I'm mostly hoping to punish Makoto's attempts to karakusa. It's a risk-reward move for her that carries no risk when used against my Necro.

I've also read a bit about the SGGK Option Select which I think originated as an advanced Chun Li technique where you'd enter the parry input (forward or down) immediately followed by a kara-throw (hard kick plinked into lp+lk) so that if the opponent attacks you'll parry, your hard kick will come out after the parry and you can cancel into Super Art. If they do nothing you'll throw them and continue your pressure from there.

For Necro I believe it's similar but he'd use a kara-throw of back+mk~lp+lk or just mp~lp+lk. The first would give a back throw if they do nothing but the latter would be forward throw, which is incredibly strong for Necro in the corner since he can juggle most characters afterward. Unfortunately mp goes over the heads of some crouching characters though.

I haven't tried to practice this yet; I plan to dabble in some Lua script training mode stuff in Fightcade if I get some free time. I don't have a strong enough understanding of when I should be implementing it either, or how to deal with it when I'm not the aggressor.

Are there any advanced, universal techniques in 3rd Strike I should be aware of to improve my play? It can be quite difficult to get useful, accurate information about the game without scouring dozens of old forum posts and contextless, flickering footage of CRTs.

Todays ramble has been brought to you with thanks to a mind-numbing Easter Sunday work from home shift.

RESSURECTION!

Resurrection.gif.55e07dfb7af48f1095c82ad27b3353e6.gif

• 2 weeks later...