Battlefield 3 - Rllmuk 360 Tag: rllmukBF3

The Sarge

The helicopters are incredibley difficult i find, way more than in BF2 and i was playing with a bloody mouse!

They're trickier to get the hang of, but highly manoeuvrable when you do. That, combined with all the unlocks, means the choppers are likely to be even more powerful than BC2 once people get all the radar and weapon upgrades. However, there are counters such as the SOFLAM which should hopefully balance things out.

I've unlocked the heat seekers for the attack choppers now, and the air combat is starting to click. It's starting to feel like an ecosystem - me in my chopper hunting ground-based targets, but having to hide from jets divebombing me from above. But I can chase the fighter pilots off by locking onto them and sometimes even take a careless pilot down. Plus of course engineers are quite well equipped to take down choppers now, especially if two work together. Then again, two engineers on the ground are countered by a chopper pilot/gunner combo both using flares, which is fair.

The hunter/hunted balance for the different vehicles seems to be very well thought out. While in an attack chopper, I can never relax, but if I play sensibly and make use of the equipment, I can make a difference to the team. It's less about spawn-raping and more about disabling vehicles, distracting engineers into watching the skies, and harassing fighter pilots. None of that nets many kills but it all helps the team.

I haven't seen a single jet be anything other than a slight annoyance yet. They seem like a pretty meaningless addition tbh.

I think that's because the majority don't have the air to surface missiles for taking on tanks.

The rocket pods are great, but most folk don't seem to use them in exchange for the heat seekers where they can have dogfights. I find the machine gun is a much better option for jets anyway. It doesn't give them a locked warning for a start, and if you line them up it will rip them to pieces.

In a jet the first thing I'll go for is helicopters. Helicopters can win matches for sure. They're massive tank killers, which in turn are massive infantry killers. I got a 17 kill streak in a tank yesterday for example, because the team just weren't focusing on the ground in the choppers.

ive yet to have much trouble as a tank commander from a helicopter. I make sure i have a heavy machine gun and smoke equipped, and remembering you can reverse out of trouble just as fast as you get into it with the turbo, i can usually keep alive from everything other than a cluster of RPG weilding soldiers. the Radar is ace too. But deaths from choppers has not happened yet. only once have i been forced to take refuge in a building as a tank, but Smoke is a great defence.

In the helicopter with a decent gunner, tanks can be taken out with ease I find. Even with smoke. Relying on a barrage of 14 rockets and machine gun fire alone.

Maybe the tank drivers I go against are just a bit turd ;)

In the helicopter with a decent gunner, tanks can be taken out with ease I find. Even with smoke. Relying on a barrage of 14 rockets and machine gun fire alone.

Maybe the tank drivers I go against are just a bit turd ;)

The biggest thing you can do to keep a tank alive, is to keep your ass away from pain. Maybe ive been blessed with riding with a good machine gunner/ aerial spotter / mechanic.

pro tip: use smoke out in the open to give cover to your mechanic while you're getting repaired.

This game needs some sort of match making system..

Last night I was on a team of between lvl 3 to lvl 5.. Up against a team of lvl 28 to lvl 32.. We pretty much got our arses handed to us.

It annoys me that people do not spot!! They still make for the tanks and planes when they have no clue how to use them!! Nobody speaks!! Nobody uses cover! Nobody drops Ammo! Nobody drops Health! Nobody revives! The list is endless!!

I can't wait for COD to come out.. Half the idiots will go..

Matchmaking smatchmaking, I don't want to play exclusively against people as good or better then me. It's not like I don't constantly get killed by level 1s and 2s anyway.

People on the previous page talking about the IR optics - has anyone else unlocked the Thermal Optics for the tanks? I think that's broken - I got a 12 kill streak on Damavand Peak, the poor fuckers didn't stand a chance, especially coupled with the coaxial heavy machine gun.

I have a huge problem with the right stick, it gets me killed.

When I get into a gunfight I press on it too hard by reflex and then Lie down , which stops you firing :/ Usually it gets me killed. In the vehicles it switches me to outside view in the middle of and attack dive which also has a tendancy to get me killed :/

You cant remap individual controls can you on the xbox

I've recently had a revelation about this game that I thought i'd share with anyone else who - like me - is new to the BF experience of how to get the most out of the game. One word - Rush. And I have Keraig to thank for this.

THis may be of interest to no-one but in case anyone else is sort of on the fence if they're enjoying it or not, or just feeling it's not quite what they hoped for I thought i'd pass this on.

I've played about 18 hours this week. And my experiences have been as follows.

Hour 1 - This is BRILLIANT... now what the hell am I doing?

Hours 2-4 Okay Conquest. I understand this, it's a bit like MW but more tactical. THIS IS BRILLIANT.

Hours 5 - 7 Hmmmm.... Conquest is all a bit bottle necky... Grand Bazar for example went from being great fun to just a MW style stand and shoot fest. And many of the more open maps just people lone wolfing / snipping the crap out of me.

Hour 8 - virtually at hurling controller to the ground frustration with it. All bloody Rocket spammers. General feeling of this being like Modern Warfare and without much of the teamwork i'd hoped for.

Hour 9-11 - playing with Keraig and gang - who have played the shit out of BF and they were only playing Rush. I'd only played one game of Rush me before so I must admit fucking rubbish because I didn't really understand what the hell was going on in Rush nor where I should be at the appropriate points. Fun to play with people but confusing.

Hours 12-13 Back to conquest... because that's the one I understood. Some good games some bad games depending on teams but generally left me feeling a bit 'meh'... lt still felt very much like a K/D obsessed game to me. And to be honest I reached a stage of thinking well I don't really know if this is actually the game for me or not.

Hour 14+ I decided Keraig probably new what he was doing so only started playing Rush. And my god NOW I understand why he loves this game so much. Suddenly armed with the meagre skills i'd grasped from the previous 15 hours the game it just changed totally. Every match like something from a war film. Epic moments of pushing forward, battle on all fronts, and the action constantly shifting. Even with a team of randoms none of whom are communicating it is still so much more fun because you've all got a clear objective

Now you all may be a lot cleverer than I and have worked this out all for yourselves. But in case anyone - like me - had stuck to 'what they know' and was predominantly playing CQ i'd urge you to change because it's given me some of the best experiences i've had in a game for a very long time.

NOW - speaking of communicating would anyone have any interest in joining up for a weekly Rush session? I know all the lot who play this a great deal have their own mates they run with regularly, thought it might be nice for some of us new to the series to get together and set up a weekly session. It's by a mile better when you're playing with a team full of communicators (and RUSH as i've learned is quite annoying when you're stuck on defence with randoms...) so thought it might be nice if we set up a weekly squad of newcomers from the MUK platoon? I'll post something in the online folder see if anyone wants to sign up.

EDIT: Sign up here

The biggest thing you can do to keep a tank alive, is to keep your ass away from pain. Maybe ive been blessed with riding with a good machine gunner/ aerial spotter / mechanic.

pro tip: use smoke out in the open to give cover to your mechanic while you're getting repaired.

Truth accepted - had a great handful of games last night with a like minded squad member - he kept jumping into vehicles (mostly tanks) as driver, I kept joining him as engineer / gunner, capping and defending flags on conquest maps to contribute to winning 4 out of the 5 maps we remained together for. A symbiotic relationship really, gaining me the best round scores I've achieved so far. In the end I was so confident in his vehicle skills that I was jumping out whilst under attack and repairing whilst he manoevered to protect me and fend off incoming attacks and then I'd pop back into the gunner seat and help mop up remaining attackers.

i wish i could re-map spot on the Xbox, back is an annoying button to use.

I thought that - maybe having it on 'B' and using the Halo method of combining reloading and entering/existing vehicles onto one button (X), but then I realised that being able to spot without taking my hand off the right thumbstick is extremely useful. It'd be much more difficult to spot accurately using one of the face buttons.

Playing mostly as an engineer, I don't have access to C4, but I do enjoy sneaking up on enemy tanks and dropping mines directly in front / behind them and then baiting them into movement. To be fair, it's a technique that usually ends up in my death, but there's unabounded joy to be had when the tank suddenly blows itself to shit when the driver moves it forward a few inches. :D

Rush has its moments but its conquest all the way for me. You say Grand bazaar is too much of a bottleneck, EVERY rush game is a bottleneck, it ends up with all the players heading for one spot on the map :)

Theres only so much sitting on an M-COM while everyone spams rockets and grenades onto it I can take.

Whereas in Conquest there is ALWAYS an alternative. Stuck on the middle base on Grand Bazzar, go the other way, keep the end two flags capped.

Sneak past B on Metro and setup a spawn beacon behind enemy lines.

ANY mode you play with everyone from here one one team will be awesome though.

I thought that - maybe having it on 'B' and using the Halo method of combining reloading and entering/existing vehicles onto one button (X), but then I realised that being able to spot without taking my hand off the right thumbstick is extremely useful. It'd be much more difficult to spot accurately using one of the face buttons.

i wouldnt mind that to be honest. spot on the B Button. I have one of these Avenger controller addons

avenger-product-shot-2.jpg

Ive modified it a bit to widen the holes around the control sticks so my FPS Freek control stick addons fit properly

fpsfreek%20pnp.jpg

KontrolFreekEpic.jpg

The added length of the control sticks i find helps massively with aiming. Ive also got some spikey Gears Of War themed ones.

As for the Avenger shell for the 360 pad, It takes a few minutes for your mind to get itself used to using the Hair triggers and stuff, but in Battlefield having to only extend your index fingers to reload, or cycle weapons is great. A slight twist of the controller in your hand fires off the Red Button as it makes contact with the side of your right knuckle. Just a shame the A Button is untouched. I may Fimo up a button mechanism for A

going back to tanks, What's the deal with the Heat Seeking Shells? ive unlocked them, but are they any good?

These are great - I've been running with them plus the long-range optic perk as a tank-driver. Theyr'e like heat-seekers for tanks. Against enemy armour they absolutely destroy if you lock on, fire one then quickly switch back again to main cannon and fire a volley of normal shells - enemy tanks go down in seconds. One hit from a guided shell and two quick hits with the cannon pretty much does 'em. It's also hugely satisfying watching your shell streak along the ground towards an enemy vehicle, and deffo my favorite tank unlock so far :)

They also lock onto SOFLAM targeted vehicles and/or aircraft.

i wouldnt mind that to be honest. spot on the B Button. I have one of these Avenger controller addons

avenger-product-shot-2.jpg

Ive modified it a bit to widen the holes around the control sticks so my FPS Freek control stick addons fit properly

fpsfreek%20pnp.jpg

KontrolFreekEpic.jpg

The added length of the control sticks i find helps massively with aiming. Ive also got some spikey Gears Of War themed ones.

As for the Avenger shell for the 360 pad, It takes a few minutes for your mind to get itself used to using the Hair triggers and stuff, but in Battlefield having to only extend your index fingers to reload, or cycle weapons is great. A slight twist of the controller in your hand fires off the Red Button as it makes contact with the side of your right knuckle. Just a shame the A Button is untouched. I may Fimo up a button mechanism for A

WTF? Is that even real?

Conquest is probably ace on pc with so many players, but on 360 it can seem a bit sparse and sporadic and lacking in structure. The reason I love rush so much is because it has a clear and distinct front line of combat so the whole teams tend to face off. This creates really spectacular battles and shows real tactical possibilities of covering and moving forward.

Had some games this morning and I'm really feeling the love now. Some spectacularly hard fought wins and narrow defeats. Damavand is an incredible map and I'm even loving caspian now I'm starting to understand it.

I have a huge problem with the right stick, it gets me killed.

When I get into a gunfight I press on it too hard by reflex and then Lie down , which stops you firing :/ Usually it gets me killed. In the vehicles it switches me to outside view in the middle of and attack dive which also has a tendancy to get me killed :/

You cant remap individual controls can you on the xbox

I don't really agree, for me rush is all about flanking the enemy. Most of your team will go toe to toe but the good players will be finding another way in undetected.

Conquest doesn't really allow for flanking because there is no front line, it's more just pockets of action here and there