IGNORED

Battlefield 3 - Rllmuk 360 Tag: rllmukBF3

The Sarge

That explosion effect is made of win. Looks mighty scripted, I wouldn't get hoes up for all buildings being collapsable in that way. But.. if it's possible to have that feeling of destruction in multiplayer, though.. :wub:

And I also love the Mirrors Edge feeling to the camera/player :)

I thought it was a portion from the single player experience, so whilst it IS scripted, it's still the engine/physics model? I'm sure I read that DICE said Frostbite 2 allows them to drop buildings like that, and that RPG/explosives fire in MP will blow glass out of buildings, and ultimately cause them to collapse in a realistic manner.

I'm not sure what you mean there since infantry has always been the best bit of Battlefield!

Really Ive been a big fan of them and played them all since 1942 and the infantry stuff has always been clunky feeling. Things started getting better but the console ones were a step back I thought. The gunfights were not very satisfying. Don't get me wrong the game as a whole is very good but the actual mano et mano gunfights aren't that great. It's only because there is so much going on they can't focus all their resources on that one aspect, like say COD can.

tbh the heavy feeling on foot is fine by me, it means you have to be quite deliberate in your actions rather than merely reacting. It's not fastest on the trigger like cod, it's whoever gets the drop on the other player. If you get shot up it's almost always because of poor movement discipline.

What I could do with seeing changed is the bullet-spongeyness. I actually think that may be a bit of an illusion bought on by poor feedback when you connect, and the guns feeling a bit unwieldy, though.

'Our competitors are getting lazy'

In a rather serious criticism, DICE boss Karl Magnus-Trodesson has said the Swedish developer’s rivals are “getting lazy.”

“Our competitors are getting lazy,” he told OPM in its latest issue, no doubt a shout to Activision and Call of Duty.

“They’re using the same engine, the same recipe for building a game. At some point you need to take that leap. I haven’t seen them take that leap since a long time ago.

“We are doing that now. They had better watch out. We are coming for them.

It comes as EA Games VP Patrick Soderlund said this morning upcoming shooter Battlefield 3 could have 256 players for the game’s multiplayer – most likely a nod to Sony’s MAG – but said it wouldn’t be fun.

deal-with-it.gif

Figured this might be of interest to the dirty console peasants like myself:

It’s seriously impressive stuff, but even a blind man could see that it clearly wasn’t running on an Xbox 360. So what about us mere mortals who don’t own a Skynet-style PC? How will our console cope?

“We knew that people would think that this demo was running on PC, but the good thing is that it’s all based on streaming,” Bach tells us. “We have a super-powerful streaming pipeline, which makes it possible to stream high-end data through the game so every frame we look at will have fresh data. This means you don’t have to load everything at once; you don’t have to fill the level at the start. In BC2, you have 512 megs of memory; you load it, you play it, done. The objects you saw at the end needed to be loaded at the start, and you think, ‘It took me an hour to get to this point where I can see it, so what’s the point?’

“That’s the whole magic with this. We can have 512 megs every hundred metres if we wanted to, as we can just flush the data out [and replace it] as you move along. I can promise you that the console versions will still look amazing because of the core technology. If you have a 360, we want to use that machine to the maximum.”

I'm not expecting too much from the 360 version. Certainly nothing akin to the immense graphical sexiness we've treated to thus far, but the above quote makes me a little more optimistic.

Just you wait. RO2 is going to be the Great Leap Forward online FPS has been needing since, uh... 2005.

The best thing DICE could do is to rip off like 80% of the feature list.

What's so great about the RO2 then? Genuine question as I don't know anything about it. Feel free to direct me elsewhere as I know this thread is about BF3! Which is looking amazing....