IGNORED

Gin

Luke

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ohh, i love gin. Even the cheap stuff. I'm trying to train myself to like tonic but for now it's gin&juice.

Gin, cranberry juice, dash of lime. Delicious. I'd forgotten all about it until your post.

Also, my love of gin is so great that my daughter's middle name is Juniper. Trufax.

Gin, cranberry juice, dash of lime. Delicious. I'd forgotten all about it until your post.

Also, my love of gin is so great that my daughter's middle name is Juniper. Trufax.

Juniper? How faux middle class of you. Mind I suppose it's just as well your favourite drink isn't Ripple or Buckfast

Another gin hound here. Hendricks is the favourite, although I have a bottle of the Tanqueray export on the go at the moment.

I had a bottle of Martin Miller's a little while ago which was quite nice although it had a LOT of rosehip in it.

Anyone had any Dutch jenever? I know there are a few Dutchies around here.

As for tonic, quite partial to the Fever Tree stuff myself.

Juniper? How faux middle class of you. Mind I suppose it's just as well your favourite drink isn't Ripple or Buckfast

But what if he is middle class then there is no faux fo sho.

I'm no Gin expert but love a Bombay and cranberry.

But what if he is middle class then there is no faux fo sho.

I'm no Gin expert but love a Bombay and cranberry.

If Grandmummy had been named Juniper it would be a different story but it doesn't matter if he named her Juniper or Stella, he picked the name after an alcoholic beverage. FAUX!

Gin has become my "top shelf" drink of choice ever since I tried a Hendricks+tonic with a slice of fresh cucumber in a bar in Oxford. Fucking lovely. I love the way it looks in the glass, so refreshing and clean. I could drink one now.

Sean Ryder called G+T "the crack of booze" but he turned out OK…

If Grandmummy had been named Juniper it would be a different story but it doesn't matter if he named her Juniper or Stella, he picked the name after an alcoholic beverage. FAUX!

I'm not sure there's anything middle class about naming a child after an alcoholic beverage.

To be honest, we didn't consciously choose the name due to the drink, it was just a lucky coincidence (or the subliminal power the gin had over our brains). Our other daughter's middle name is Clementine, and I can't even think of a drink with clementines in; her first name is Freddie, after her gandmummy Freda, does that make us authentic middle class? I also bought a celeriac once, from Ocado.

Sean Ryder called G+T "the crack of booze" but he turned out OK…

It's certainly very moreish.

I used to get real gin cravings as a student, I'd wake up in the morning and really need some gin; I'm kind of craving it now, this thread was possibly a bad idea (though, luckily it's been moved now, so I'll probably forget all about it - I rarely venture outside OT and F&TV).

When looking up gin on Wikipedia I discovered that Borovička is closely related to gin. We bought some of that when in Slovakia, I remember it being rather rank.

I'm not sure there's anything middle class about naming a child after an alcoholic beverage.

To be honest, we didn't consciously choose the name due to the drink, it was just a lucky coincidence (or the subliminal power the gin had over our brains). Our other daughter's middle name is Clementine, and I can't even think of a drink with clementines in; her first name is Freddie, after her gandmummy Freda, does that make us authentic middle class? I also bought a celeriac once, from Ocado.

That's why I said faux :P I'm not being totally serious anyway, but no, buying a celeriac and shopping at Ocado doesn't make you authentic middle class. If anything, the last time I shopped at Ocado it was cheaper than Tesco.

Does the John Lewis advert make you want to cry or stab your eyes out?

vintage%20gin%20front-2.jpg

This should be your only Gin of choice. It's absolutly superb and a bugger to find.

failing that then Hendric will have to do.

Never Ever have britvic tonic and especially not the slimeline version. It tastes of orange concentrate for some bizarre reason ands completly ruins the gin.

Never Ever have britvic tonic and especially not the slimeline version. It tastes of orange concentrate for some bizarre reason ands completly ruins the gin.

Ahh, that's the reason the G&T I had in a pub the other night, where they only had slimline tonic left, wasn't as revolting as the one I'd had in the past. The one in the bast had been with Britvic slimline tonic, this one had been Schweppes.

I tend to go for gin & apple or gin & pineapple, cue lengthy debate with the barperson mainly composed of them saying, eyebrows cocked, "are you sure?". It's nice dammit!

I love all gin. At the mo I have Gordons, Bombay and Tanqueray. I do like Hendricks with a slice of Cucumber and I have also tried one called Pink 47 Diamond. Interesting bottle too

PINK-47-london-dry-gin-70cl-bottle.jpg

Interesting? :blink:

It look's like a whore's perfume bottle.

Just finished my first glass of Blackwoods' (+tonic + cucumber, no ice) ordered on Sidewaysbob's recommendation. Beautifully smooth but still with that Gin bite that you love so much.

I thought my tastebuds were deceiving me at first so checked up online, and yes, that slight saltiness on the palate is indeed a hint of seawater. Subtle but it definitely adds a unique edge to the drink. Now I know it's there, I'm looking out for the salty flavour and really tasting it.

Better than Hendricks' ? Early days, but I think it might be the more interesting drink.

Thanks for the recommendation, Sidewaysbob. Cheers!