IGNORED

Gin

Luke

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK, so I bought some dry vermouth today, to make my first Martini.

Hit google, it takes me to wikipedia, panel on the right says 8cl gin to 1cl vermouth, so I mix it up 8:1.

It's a bit much for my tastes, so I tonic it up. Now, I get to thinking that 8:1 is pretty much neat gin, so I double check. The main article has it at 5.5 to 1.5, completely different. Also, the link from the 8:1 bit takes you to a recipe with it at 5.5:1.5.

Fucking wikipedia.

Anyway, what ratio do you mix it in?

Other recipes I've come across from google have it as close as 2:1.

• 1 year later...

With a G&T I find the tonic can be as important to the overall taste as the gin, if not more so. For ages I used Co-op own brand tonic, and Schweppes is just so much better. I also find nothing ruins a G&T more than a slimline tonic, just too sweet, yuck.

Any good tonic suggestions?

Can't say I've ever found one more suitable than bog standard Schweppes (and I agree about the slimline). Mind you, I haven't tried too hard.

I tried Gin recently, Hendricks + schweppes slim and diced cucumber. I liked it but the after-taste spoiled it a bit. Unsure if it was the tonic or if it's just the taste of gin. Anyway, the Mrs likes a Prosecco the local booze palace serves up and I was eyeing the Gin's up as he ringing it up on the till. They sell one called '50 Pounds', but I mentioned the after-taste I experienced and wondered if it was tonic. He mentions a tasting session they did a while back where the group swore by the tonic from Fever Tree, very 'clean' and didn't interfere with gin. I've never heard of the stuff before, has anyone here had experience of the stuff? I notice their 'slim' variant doesn't contain Aspartame like schweppes does.

Haven't had Fever Tree, but I'm sure someone upthread has reported on it.

The aftertaste is almost certainly the tonic. If it's a bitter aftertaste it'll probably be the quinine in the tonic, so slimline or not won't make much difference (it's the change to the nature/extent of the sweetness that's the main thing there). Easy to tell, though: just have some neat gin and see if it's there too. Or make a decent martini (i.e. one with hardly any vermouth in it - maybe about 8:1 (probably too much vermy for me) to 16:1 (about right). And have it very, very cold. If that still produces an aftertaste you don't like, you probably don't like gin).

Bombay doesn't deserve the hate it gets (I find it lovely with Talisker in a smokey martini) but it's very populist because it's not actually that gin-ny.

About four to one, in the original style of shaken with the spirit with ice in the shaker. Which is much against the modern fashion of just swilling a tiny dash with ice around the martini glass and then discarding.

I've grown up so much since 2010. Bombay Sapphire with Talisker? 4:1? My word.

Bombay is aftershave, vile stuff - my current gin faves are Sacred and Fifty Pounds - both super crisp and clean. As a fallback Tanq 10 is my go to.

Big difference for me was getting a spherical ice mould, one single large ball melts far slower and so doesnt dilute your drink, whilst chilling it better.

Haven't had Fever Tree, but I'm sure someone upthread has reported on it.

The aftertaste is almost certainly the tonic. If it's a bitter aftertaste it'll probably be the quinine in the tonic, so slimline or not won't make much difference (it's the change to the nature/extent of the sweetness that's the main thing there). Easy to tell, though: just have some neat gin and see if it's there too. Or make a decent martini (i.e. one with hardly any vermouth in it - maybe about 8:1 (probably too much vermy for me) to 16:1 (about right). And have it very, very cold. If that still produces an aftertaste you don't like, you probably don't like gin).

I took a small swig of Hendricks followed by a small swig of regular tonic last night. Now I didn't get the aftertaste from the gin but not from the tonic either. I think the sweetness of regular tonic drowned it out, but it also overpowered the gin when I had the two together. I prefer the pleasant, fresh taste of Juniper with the slim, but it comes with that aftertaste.

Next time I'll try a swig of slim tonic just to make sure but I'm going to look for some this fever-tree to compare as well.

Big difference for me was getting a spherical ice mould, one single large ball melts far slower and so doesnt dilute your drink, whilst chilling it better.

It doesn't chill it better. It can't cool the drink other than by melting, and so if it isn't melting as much (through lower surface area) it is not cooling as much.