Batman: Arkham City - Reviews - Post #882

The Sarge

HAXWr.jpg

Hope no-one minds me creating this thread. I know there isn't much info, but I thought it best to have all the info in one place. Scans should be available in a few weeks.

Announcement Trailer

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/spike-vga-batman-arkham/59828

Pop Up Trailer

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gt-pop-block-batman-arkham/60075

Interview with Paul Dini (Arkham City writer)

Dini is going to be working with the voice cast of the game this week, which means much of the dialog and major story elements have been locked down. "We're well on our way through production," said Dini. "We're doing recordings all this week here in Los Angeles. I actually have to go over to some of the recordings later this week. It's all sounding great and it's looking terrific."

Unfortunately, Dini was unwilling to give us any details about the story or which characters will be appearing (even though we've made plenty of educated guesses, and Catwoman is prominently displayed on the Game Informer cover).

He did say, though, that if you're looking for hints at the "Arkham City" story, play through the original game again.

"The more we got into developing the first game, we were like, 'Hey, let's do this. Let's put in this clue for the second one.' At that point we were pretty sure we were doing a sequel at some point."

Dini also spoke about some of the elements that had to be cut from that first game, due to time and budget...elements that could possibly show up in "Arkham City." "There were some ideas we had for the exteriors," explained Dini. "Some fights we would have outside [the asylum] and perhaps a little more Batmobile action."

It sounds like there was a desire to expand the scope of the map of "Arkham Asylum," but certain limitations (it taking place on an island, for example) made that infeasible. For "Arkham City," though, there's a lot more freedom, now that the action has moved into the streets of Gotham City (as evidenced by the first teaser trailer).

For the time being, Dini is definitely keeping his cards close to his vest on anything "Arkham City"-related. Stay tuned, though, as we'll be hearing a lot more about the game when Game Informer drops later this month.

Villains Outed

More Batman: Arkham Asylum 2 voice actors have outed their work on the sequel, following this morning's slip up that Two-Face will appear in the game.

Actor Maurice LaMarche is next to out his Arkham Asylum 2 post, stating in an interview; "I'm about to go in and do Mr. Freeze for Arkham Asylum 2."

When asked to give a taste of what Mr. Freeze will sound like, LaMarche claimed, "To tell you the truth, I think, contractually, I can't. I've got to keep it under wraps.

"He's out for blood right now because, err... I can't tell you the situation, but he's actually somewhat a sympathetic character within the framework of the game."

That's Freeze and Two-Face on board for the sequel then. Next up on the PR naughty list is actor Stana Katic, who posted on her Twitter: "Just recorded a character voice on the next Batman video game. Never did that before. Helpful hint: plenty of water and pineapple slices."

She followed up the Tweet with this, before quickly removing both messages: "For those who were asking: I'm voicing Talia al Ghul, the daughter of Ra al Ghul (played by Liam Neeson in "Batman Begins")."

That's at least three villains confirmed for the follow-up then, not including the Joker himself.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=243423

Game Informer Covers.

JiSdt.jpg

EZi5G.jpg

:)

stupid name is stupid.

Yeah I agree it's kind of a misleading name... But looks like its just set in Gotham City which is awesome. Just being like the last one but with more free-roaming play would be awesome. Like little side-missions you can do throughout Gotham and stuff.

Mark Hamill has said it's the last time he's gonna voice the Joker.

What else has he got going on though? You never see him in films or television. Mark Hamill as the Joker? More like...Mark Hamill's the bloody joker! Mark Hamill's A bloody joker. Wing Commander? More like BELLEND commander!

Mark Hamill has said it's the last time he's gonna voice the Joker.

What else has he got going on though? You never see him in films or television. Mark Hamill as the Joker? More like...Mark Hamill's the bloody joker! Mark Hamill's A bloody joker. Wing Commander? More like BELLEND commander!

:lol:

Imagine a sandbox adaptation of Year One, with you switching between Batman and Gordon at various points in the story.

You've just imagined a sandbox adaptation of Year One, where you switch between Batman and Gordon at various points in the story.

Yeah, I quite like the white look too, though the shadow brightness does give it a bit of a dated, 'Maya render default settings' feel. I'm guessing it's just some fun time artsy artin' by their character modeller, and it's been created exclusively for GameInformer. Or... is it meant to be all like OMG A SNOW STORM IS COMING. THERE WILL BE WHITE TEXTURES. Goddamnit, Mr. Freeze is my least favourite Batman nemesis. Stop shooting snow and ice everywhere you twat.

Either way, it's a striking cover. The first one at least. Proper ace.

As an aside, is it just me or does the dark red, standard header font for the BATMAN: ARKHAM CITY text on the back cover look infinitely cooler and more contemporary than the actual logo? What does the actual logo actually mean? It doesn't make sense. Why would someone write "Batman" on a batwing covered in flakey paint? Why isn't Arkham scrawled in blood, crossing out and smudging over the word Gotham? Photoshop layer effect-stylee for the sake of it, that's so very 90s action figure packaging. And yeah, the name is rubbish sounding, though there is some logic behind it, I mean, from a marketing perspective, the first one being so successful and creating a new brand name, Rocksteady wanting to keep their influence and legacy obvious etc. etc. But if it were called Batman: Gotham City it'd go on to shift even more units, I mean, who wouldn't want to play Batman: Gotham City.

Imagine a sandbox adaptation of Year One, with you switching between Batman and Gordon at various points in the story.

You've just imagined a sandbox adaptation of Year One, where you switch between Batman and Gordon at various points in the story.

Yes I did and in my imagination it was great, the Gordon sections would be balls compared to Batman though.

Imagine if in Arkham City they "Did a Raiden" and you had to play as Robin

And yeah, the name is rubbish sounding, though there is some logic behind it, I mean, from a marketing perspective, the first one being so successful and creating a new brand name, Rocksteady wanting to keep their influence and legacy obvious etc. etc. But if it were called Batman: Gotham City it'd go on to shift even more units, I mean, who wouldn't want to play Batman: Gotham City.

I think the plot is going to be that Arkham Asylum has been moved from the island and is now a walled section of Gotham City, like a ghetto. This gives the devs a believable reason for sectioning off a bit of Gotham for the game to take place in.

Yeah, I quite like the white look too, though the shadow brightness does give it a bit of a dated, 'Maya render default settings' feel. I'm guessing it's just some fun time artsy artin' by their character modeller, and it's been created exclusively for GameInformer. Or... is it meant to be all like OMG A SNOW STORM IS COMING. THERE WILL BE WHITE TEXTURES. Goddamnit, Mr. Freeze is my least favourite Batman nemesis. Stop shooting snow and ice everywhere you twat.

Either way, it's a striking cover. The first one at least. Proper ace.

As an aside, is it just me or does the dark red, standard header font for the BATMAN: ARKHAM CITY text on the back cover look infinitely cooler and more contemporary than the actual logo? What does the actual logo actually mean? It doesn't make sense. Why would someone write "Batman" on a batwing covered in flakey paint? Why isn't Arkham scrawled in blood, crossing out and smudging over the word Gotham? Photoshop layer effect-stylee for the sake of it, that's so very 90s action figure packaging. And yeah, the name is rubbish sounding, though there is some logic behind it, I mean, from a marketing perspective, the first one being so successful and creating a new brand name, Rocksteady wanting to keep their influence and legacy obvious etc. etc. But if it were called Batman: Gotham City it'd go on to shift even more units, I mean, who wouldn't want to play Batman: Gotham City.

just... eh

Is this not the trailer that was out ages ago - near certain I seen it before.

Yeah, it's pretty old (it was shown mid last year). I only put it in the OP as details are still pretty scarce and for those people who might not have seen it/forgotten what was shown in the teaser.

Apologies if it was in any way misleading.

:)

Secret Room (Arkham Asylum)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nlxLOHgj40

Arkham City Map

SsMXA.jpg

Many gamers spent hours scouring every nook and cranny of Arkham Asylum last year. Whether it was Riddler trophies, interview tapes, or Chronicles of Arkham, the game wasn't short on hidden goodies. However, there was one area that most people never even knew existed...Warden Quincy Sharp's secret room. Inside this area, you can clearly see blueprints that lay out Arkham City. We ask developer Rocksteady how it remained hidden for so long and we provide a video guide on how to find it yourself.

Even if you've played Batman: Arkham Asylum through and through, got 100 percent clearance, and unlocked all of the achievements or trophies, you still probably haven't found Warden Sharp's secret room right off of his office. It's not located on any of the maps. You can't see the weak wall with Batman's detective vision. And you can only blow it up with several applications of explosive foam. We asked Rocksteady Studios lead narrative designer Paul Crocker how the team kept it hidden in the Internet age:

While building Batman: Arkham Asylum, we placed a number of ‘hooks’ into the game that tie into the ‘Arkham-Verse’. From the beginning we knew that Quincy was a bad guy, and planned what his next move would be. The room obviously ties into Arkham City, but to be fair, we hid it pretty well. We did assume that it would be found eventually and after following forum posts for 6 months or so, decided to announce it in the ‘Game of the Year’ podcast. The fans of the game have been amazing and again, reading the forums, we can see how much they value the efforts we have put into creating the background stories for the various characters and it was great to see all the posts and theories about the secret room once it was discovered. What I think people are really going to enjoy is not just how Arkham Asylum led to Arkham City, but also how the story in Arkham City sheds new light on the events you saw in Arkham Asylum.

http://gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2010/08/09/arkham-asylums-secret-room.aspx

Wow, pretty amazing that they kept it secret for so long and that no-one found it. :)

First details from GI (nicked from GAF):

Gameinformer Story info:

- Quincy Sharp is now running for mayor.

- Arkham Asylum and Black Gate Prison are unfit to hold inmates.

- Quincy Sharp buys off part of the slums and walls it off, creating Arkham City.

- Hugo Strange is in charge of Arkham City.

- Two-Face plans to execute Catwoman to gain respect of inmates.

- The overdose of venom may not be what's wrong with the Joker.

Gameinformer Gameplay info:

- You are now able to counter two attacks at once.

- More puzzles.

- All gadgets included in the first game are available from the start.

- Side missions now feature in the game.

- Gangs roam Arkham City, these are recorded in Batman's criminal database.

- You find people who work for Ridler to find Ridler challenges.

- Batman has his smoke bomb.