Batman: Arkham City - Reviews - Post #882

The Sarge

Fuck me this is good.

I mean I'm saying that despite being awful at it, my fights, instead of being a balletic display of choreographic violence and elegant brutality, are clumsy button mashed affairs. It's not a game you can take much of a break from, needs the muscle memory in the fingers. I'm getting better.

And the content, oh man! I thought the Riddler trophies, the AR missions and the Zsasz stuff were about the sum of the optional content. Now I've got Riddler riddles & informants to find, oh and hostages in their crazy challenge rooms, vats of Titan junk to fund, some sniper nutter going off shooting people, political prisoners, etc. etc. The amount of extra junk is mental.

I think this was this years most overlooked release

Im not sure over looked is the right word but it's certainly been eclipsed. Some nutters gave Skyrim 10/10; MW3 gained a billion in revenue; Dark Souls is considered one of the best games of all time and not to mention the game being released the week before Battlefield 3. It got mixed in with alot of quality but it's leaps and bounds ahead of the rest. Phenomenal.

I didn't realise that you were meant to destroy the Harley models, balloons, cameras, penguins, demon seals etc. until after I'd finished the story :facepalm: There's a fair bit of stuff along those lines that aren't really made clear. For example, I didn't (spoiler re. Titan vats)

find Bane and get that quest from him until after I'd already gone past all of the vats and wondered what they were for.

So yeah, if it's destructible, destroy it. You may need to attack all the scenery with several gadgets before you discover what is and isn't destructible in any given scene.

I didn't realise you had to actually destroy the Harley dolls until about half way through either. I saw the achievement in the menus but thought you just had to get them to talk. Wasn't until about 10 hours in I noticed that the completed number wasn't going up. :facepalm:

...and I completely missed those fucking penguins :facepalm: :facepalm:

This is still my GOTY but yeah, you're right, signposting and tutorials on just about everything leave a lot to be desired.

I think breakable objects actually appear on the map? Been awhile since I last played it, so I could be wrong. I focued on the story first, then the side-missiosn and then went on a collecting spree where I just made sure every secret is on the map. Not that many left, might be a good time to return to Arkham City. My game of the year as well. it just oozes quality.

For me, Arkham City is pretty much the pinnacle of the videogames medium thus far. Everything it attempts to do, it does virtually flawlessly. Every single gameplay element (of which there are many) is brilliant, and it all fits together smoothly. The fighting and stealth are possibly even best in class. Even just moving around the map is fun. There's no point where I thought, "oh no, I've got to do more of X now".

Plus it's a totally solid experience. Great framerate, few bugs, polished to a shine. Rocksteady are aptly named.

One of the best games of the generation, easily.

I think breakable objects actually appear on the map? Been awhile since I last played it, so I could be wrong. I focued on the story first, then the side-missiosn and then went on a collecting spree where I just made sure every secret is on the map. Not that many left, might be a good time to return to Arkham City. My game of the year as well. it just oozes quality.

Yep, breakable objects start to appear on the map like riddles/trohpies do, once you start interrogating the Riddler goons. I didn't break any of the objects on my first run through (except a few Demon Heads) but got them on New Game Plus instead. And everyone should treat playing new game plus as part of the singleplayer core content (ie you should all do it.)

It's pretty remarkable that a studio few had heard of before this gen takes on a big licensed property and not only does justice to it, but also comes up with new gameplay mechanics, nails them to a tee and is not afraid to take risks with the sequel. That and the presentation is top-notch. These guys are damn good.

It's pretty remarkable that a studio few had heard of before this gen takes on a big licensed property and not only does justice to it, but also comes up with new gameplay mechanics, nails them to a tee and is not afraid to take risks with the sequel. That and the presentation is top-notch. These guys are damn good.

Yeah but if you read about their past and I've sat in a lecture with the lead artist, they come from an extremely strong background in games with heavy knowledge of solid mechanics and they are passionate about comics. Put that together with years of experience with the Unreal Engine, help from the Mortal Kombat and Gears of War guys and you get Arkham City.

It's incredible.

Picked this up for 16 quid int he GMG sale, and have beenr eally pleasantly surprised by how much im enjoying it. I liked AA, but thought all the plaudits people were throwing around forums at the time ('its better than HL2!!' etc) were a bit ridiculous, and all the overhyping got to me as i thought it was a solid, fun game but nothing mindblowing.

I expected AC to be the same but ive really enjoyed this alot more. I think its cause the overall look of AC reminds me of Batman Returns. And i much prefer the tim burton Batman films to the Nolan ones. I loved the museum section, that was brilliant. Also surprisingly loved the catwoman levels, tho so far ive only gotten 2 different catwoman missions, i hope theres more.

I haven't got this yet, one of the things I loved about AA were the beautifully strng together Scarecrow sequences. The extending corridor changing into the street alley and then the 2d platforming section. Was sublime and really made me think they just nailed the atmosphere so well. Does anything like that exist in AA?

I haven't got this yet, one of the things I loved about AA were the beautifully strng together Scarecrow sequences. The extending corridor changing into the street alley and then the 2d platforming section. Was sublime and really made me think they just nailed the atmosphere so well. Does anything like that exist in AA?

There are a couple of surreal sequences involving certain villains.

There are a few Scarecrow nods hidden in the game, but he is not in it in any other way.

Finished this yesterday. (Well saw the credits for the 1st time) It's far from finished. Despite struggling with it in places it all came together over the last couple of hours where I was able to get through each big fight and predator section the way Godamn Batman should. I was finishing fights surrounded by groaning bodies and wishing for a little dirt off the shoulder animation to kick in.

I found it a difficult game to approach at first mainly because I was expecting a fairly linear adventure, but the wealth of content proved bewildering and daunting in equal measure. There's just so much stuff to do and see.

I don't finish many games but I managed to get to the end of this one without that feeling of forcing yourself to see it through and despite making an effort to do the sidequests and other activities outwith the main story I don't think I managed half of them.

I've downloaded all the DLC for this so I've that to look forward to as well in time. Then of course there's the Calendar Man visits, but seeing as I managed to miss the New Years Day one even though I put the game on for a wee bit to specifically do this and got distracted by something else, I'll probably never manage that particular mission. I've got plenty more Bat action to enjoy in 2012 and the new movie to look forward to too.

http://youtu.be/-yh6SriAjdE

I don't know the details of the save bug but lately when I fire up the game from the 360 dash I've been getting a black screen and nothing else. The game is installed and it can taken a couple of attempts to get it started. I don't think it's the machine as I've had no trouble with anything else and it's relatively new.

I don't know the details of the save bug but lately when I fire up the game from the 360 dash I've been getting a black screen and nothing else. The game is installed and it can taken a couple of attempts to get it started. I don't think it's the machine as I've had no trouble with anything else and it's relatively new.

Have a look at this

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_360_games/a_d/f/2130/t/111117.aspx

It appears to be a bug that relates to any installed dlc. Basically start the game whilst signed out of xbl and the game will sign you back in when searching for downloadable content.

I was panicking my new 360 slim was knackered but seems to be linked to AC.

man I would love for Rocksteady to take a crack at a Spider-Man 2 game, that would be amazing. Shame that it will never happened as they're owned by Warner :( None of the other DC superheroes are as suited to videogames as Batman and most of the Marvel characters.

A Green Arrow game could work really well from a gameplay point of view but I can't imagine there being much of a market for him unfortunately :(

Yeah but if you read about their past and I've sat in a lecture with the lead artist, they come from an extremely strong background in games with heavy knowledge of solid mechanics and they are passionate about comics. Put that together with years of experience with the Unreal Engine, help from the Mortal Kombat and Gears of War guys and you get Arkham City.

Got any links?

Daft question - but there's no danger of locking myself out of any secrets/collectibles if I plow on with the story is there?

Even the Catwoman ones?

I'll never forget the bobblehead in Fallout 3 that was unreachable after a certain point in the story <_<

Daft question - but there's no danger of locking myself out of any secrets/collectibles if I plow on with the story is there?

Even the Catwoman ones?

I'll never forget the bobblehead in Fallout 3 that was unreachable after a certain point in the story <_<

As far as I know there's only one brief meeting with a character that you can't do if you missed it at a certain point in the story (like I did). Apparently it doesn't count towards your 100% completion anyway from what I've read.

Maybe a minor story spoiler:

You can only meet Killer Croc in the sewers while Batman's in a bad way.

You can just pull out the either net cable and change the clock to the date :coffee:

That's called achievement whoring/cheating in my eyes. Would you actually do this ? Wouldn't it be a lot of hassle and half way through you maybe catch yourself reflected in the TV and then decide to go for a walk on the motorway.

That's called achievement whoring/cheating in my eyes. Would you actually do this ? Wouldn't it be a lot of hassle and half way through you maybe catch yourself reflected in the TV and then decide to go for a walk on the motorway.

Yes. I am not hanging around for those bloody dates to come around. So you're going to wait around for new years again. What about the less know dates that are there? Nobody is keeping track of them. I always take the less time consuming route for a achievement anyway.