Batman: Arkham City - Reviews - Post #882

The Sarge

That trailer has potentially saved me a few points. I've never been a fan of Harley, but was prepared to get this for MOAR BATMAN! But I have to play as Robin? Fuck that. Unless it's labelled the best DLC ever made, then I'll wait for a price reduction.

I really can't stress this enough. They made Robin bad-ass in Arkham city. I've never seen a cooler incarnation of Robin, he's just enough different from Batman in the dlc fights and stealth challenges to be really enjoyable.

Also you can punt thugs off ledges with your shield.

If they have a few of his gadgets used intelligently (Rocksteady don't let me down!) then i'd consider it an essential purchase.

Last year, announcements for pre-order DLC and shop specific bonuses really started to annoy me to such an extent that I was actually put off buying games on release dates, Arkham City was one such game. I've been meaning to pick it up cheap then buy all the DLC but if there's a GotY Edition coming out with everything included then I'll hold out until then.

Only just started playing this recently and love it so far, really cool game and despite being a bit apprehensive because I don't always get on with these sort of games, think its pretty amazing.

One thing that's confusing me and I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong - after finishing each "level" section (inside the buildings, mainly, ending in the boss fight) you seem to have to backtrack through the whole level to get out again - is this right or am I just missing the secret passage exit from the boss room that takes me back to the surface world, that I've grown used to in modern videogames, every time?

It annoys me - because I'm rubbish at remembering my way around maps, so for the last few levels have had the huge bore of a mostly random wandering slog through empty tunnels after each boss.

For example, just beaten Ra's , then spent half an hour going back through all the subway tunnels - with no indication of whether I'm going in the right direction!

Maybe I'm just spoiled by modern games and their perma-beacons to the next destination.

Or am I doing it wrong?

I thought it was a shame that they wouldn't let you use the alternate costumes to replay the game unless it was in the harder new game + mode. I found the difficulty of the standard game pitched just right to be enjoyable & would've liked to do it again with the Classic, Animated or Beyond skins.

I do remember the section after R'as being pointed out as the worst for backtracking in the entire thing. I guess it's probably intended to allow you to mop up all of the secrets in an area rather than being chucked out when you might want to carry on looking around. Just a shame that sometimes you are so deep into an area and like you say there are no real shortcuts back out.

Just completed it:

Not really the angry bitch fest I thought it could have been. Playing as Robin is cool but definitely a cash in to try influence others to buy the DLC characters. The story didn't really add or enhance the original ending and Batman is still a cunt.

Oh, and Clown-Robots. lolwut.

Not really worth the hype fest but a decent investment all the same.

Just completed it:

Not really the angry bitch fest I thought it could have been. Playing as Robin is cool but definitely a cash in to try influence others to buy the DLC characters. The story didn't really add or enhance the original ending and Batman is still a cunt.

Oh, and Clown-Robots. lolwut.

Not really worth the hype fest but a decent investment all the same.

Same feeling here. Twas OK but hoping for more.

Nothing really happened in it. :unsure: I thought from the promotion that they were going to really twist Harley into a serious almost-sympathetic stockholm sicko. There was me hyped up on all the dark, serious promo art and soundbites for it, expecting it to start/end with Harley in a cell in the middle of a breakdown, fingers pouring with blood as she scratched the Joker's name into the concrete wall hundreds of times or something.

Also:

That mountain of negative pregnancy tests, were they there in the main game? Looks like they might have changed their mind about that storyline and might be trying to explain it away as a false positive.

Either way, that room must reek of piss.

• 1 month later...