Batman: Arkham City - Reviews - Post #882

The Sarge

No co-op please, this needs a really strong and really immersive single-player experience - like the Arkham games but even betterer. Adding co-op would hamper that and make it a different kind of experience.

Not necessarily. Historically, yes, lots of games have been hampered by the addition of coop. But the two are not mutually exclusive. And this is Rocksteady.

I'm already on media blackout. UE4 with any luck. See you in a couple of years :)

Man, I'd love to see what Rocksteady could do with characters like Superman and the Flash.

Supes no... Flash, yes please! Or a Tommy Monaghan game lol (not sure if they can use the Hitman name tho)

Started this last week, is it a bad idea to choose Hard for a first runthrough? Every fight is taking me about 5 goes. They take so many hits and the knock out move seems hard to pull off when surrounded.

Not sure why I got it to be honest, I much prefer focussed games to open world ones and it seems extremely similar to the first game.

Started this last week, is it a bad idea to choose Hard for a first runthrough? Every fight is taking me about 5 goes. They take so many hits and the knock out move seems hard to pull off when surrounded.

Not sure why I got it to be honest, I much prefer focussed games to open world ones and it seems extremely similar to the first game.

Hard is brutal first time through. Restart now if you aren't happy.

If you do continue hard, stick some upgrade points in Catwoman (if you got her too). If not, you will hit some horrible spikes when it switches back to her and prevents progression.

Combat takes time to get used to but, when you are in the zone, you will be unstoppable and knocking each person out in 1-hit. Practice the challenge maps first to get used to it.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't want to read the thread for fear of spoilers, but was there a feeling of lack of... I dunno, whatever it was that made Arkham Asylum (which I LOVED) so good at first? I'm struggling to really get into it - it's all flying across rooftops like a clumsy twat at the moment, trying to do the VR training (which I'm finding very hard!). I'm starting to learn the rhythm of the combat again which is helping, but yeah, struggling with it a bit which I never did with Asylum.

Is it worth getting the Catwoman DLC too? I got it secondhand so no code...

@timmmo: restart on normal. Hard isn't worth it. The combat is incredible when you get into it. Yes the ground takedown is hard to use when surrounded, so don't! You've played the first game by the sound sof things, the better you do in fights the more bad ass you become. You can knockout the enemies without using the ground take down, you know! Also, I found it horribly overwhelming when I first started. Once you are used to the 'open' world though, it really comes into its own, and it completely trumps the first game in every way.

@looper: I'd say the cat woman dlc isn't really worth it.

There's probably no info about it atm, but i'm wondering if the WiiU version of this will come with the Catwoman & Harley DLC.

It's called "Armored Edition" right? That better not be just the Armored Batsuit from Asylum as the "exclusive" extra.

• 2 weeks later...

Double Post.

So after a few posts mentioning that Arkham Asylum is better than Arkham City, I picked up the prequel and will throw in my 10 cents.

- The combat is AA feels withheld, lots of moves aren't available and free flowing is much more restricted as is the camera

- There are some moments like AC where they don't make it obvious what to do next causing confusion

- I read that the graphics were supposedly better in AA. No they are not.

- The Scarecrow sections weren't as good as I remember but the build up to them was still fantastic

(including one I forgot about with young Bruce)

- Enemies are fairly limited, alot more thought went into the different types of approaches for each enemy

- Gadgets feel clunky and their quick fire usage isn't up to scratch with AC, even if that had too many of them

- Only one enemy can attack at a time, which is what the new Assassins Creed is doing. It feels primitive.

- The variety in Riddler trophies was really poor compared to AC

Arkham Asylum is still a great game and alot of people like the hub and spoke structure, but it's just not in the same league as Arkham City. That game is uber polished.

Good post but I disagree. Yes Arkham City had more of everything, more combat moves, more enemies, more bosses, more lighting effects. And as great as those things were, it's not what made AA so great, it was the well developed storyline, the unique moments I hadn't really experienced before. AC feels to spread out, it doesn't feel as well directed. Much like the new film compared to the second Christopher Nolan Batman film, the second one popped with charisma and genius scripting and casting. AC in contrast feels like they just tried to jam too much in, the pointlessness of Bane being in AC for example.

I'm not going to lie the Scarecrow sections for me (and the build ups) were some of the best surreal moments I have had in gaming.

When that corridor started extending and slowly turning into the street

That alone was a stand out moment in gaming this generation for me, something which the sequel lacked and felt very much like it missed out in favour of having the sprawling city.

I will agree that some of the mechanics far exceeded the original. The combat was so much fun. But the game felt like it lacked the vision and structure of the first one.

To me at least!

That alone was a stand out moment in gaming this generation for me, something which the sequel lacked and felt very much like it missed out in favour of having the sprawling city.

Although I agree with you that City was sorely missing the WTF moments of Asylum, I don't think this has anything to do with the open world and more to do with the fact that it's a lot more difficult to pull the same trick twice. As it is, the mindfuck bit in City seems to be put in purely as a cursory nod to the Scarecrow bits in the first game.

Although I agree with you that City was sorely missing the WTF moments of Asylum, I don't think this has anything to do with the open world and more to do with the fact that it's a lot more difficult to pull the same trick twice. As it is, the mindfuck bit in City seems to be put in purely as a cursory nod to the Scarecrow bits in the first game.

I'm only guessing at why those style bits were left out tbh, I can imagine it took a lot of time to come up with in AA and the mindfuck bits in AC, maybe it is the fact it was done so well in the first game, but I couldn't help but feel like there was something special missing, that special quality that made AA stand out regardless of the actual mechanics. It was the direction. I dunno it's really hard to pin down.

Just started playing Harley's Revenge. Probably already been mentioned but after the cut scene with Gordon if you press A to talk to him he says "after this is all over, we need to talk about that other problem. Remember?"

Hints at a third game?

Third game is going to be a prequel.

Just started playing Harley's Revenge. Probably already been mentioned but after the cut scene with Gordon if you press A to talk to him he says "after this is all over, we need to talk about that other problem. Remember?"

Hints at a third game?

I always assumed this was a reference to

Azrael

or

Hush

I always assumed this was a reference to

Azrael

or

Hush

Azrael would make more sense I think cause wasn't he was going on about loads of other stuff rather that just Arkham Cities situation.

Although if you go onto the Cryprographic Sequencer there are 3 hidden message in there in the form of number which suggest that it was be Scarecrow.

*edit*

Third game is going to be a prequel.

Just read this on Wikipedia, not sure if I'm as keen on the Justice League aspect tbh.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, so I've picked up the GOTY edition of this and have been loving it. a couple of questions for those who've completed.

1:

Can you go and "mop up" remaining sidequests and riddles after finishing the story? or do you have to go new game+ for that?

2:

if the answer is new game+, what's the point of no return for the game currently in play?