Batman: Arkham City - Reviews - Post #882

The Sarge

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Santa brought me the GOTY edition and I can't believe how excited I am to get tore into the full game again. Having completed the normal edition will my ave game carry over to the GOTY edition? Wasn't sure if it is a completely different disc, etc. or just the normal version with all the extras in there as DLC codes.

Robin > Nightwing > Batman > Catwoman

He feels brutal yet nimble. He does feel different to Robin mainly because of dual sticks. He has some awesome electric moves for grinding high scores.

Talking about it makes me want to pummel some people again.

Robin is fucking awesome though.

Robin > Nightwing > Batman > Catwoman

He feels brutal yet nimble. He does feel different to Robin mainly because of dual sticks. He has some awesome electric moves for grinding high scores.

Talking about it makes me want to pummel some people again.

Robin is fucking awesome though.

Well do that then and we will compare scores as I get right back into it ;)

Been thinking about it all day so can't wait to start playing it again. Might re-download the demo to have a mash about with it in preparation, mental.

I only used Robin briefly in the challenge rooms first time round but will spend a lot more time with him on this go. It's been long enough that it will all feel fresh as I play through. Hopefully be able to fire up new game + on hard and make for a real challenge!

I've completed this... 4 times, I think? Since getting it for Christmas last year. By far one of my favourite games of all time. The only downside is that it has completely ruined other games for me. Any other 3rd person close combat system pales like a fucking ghost compared to the flow, ease, and at the same time, difficulty of the Arkham games. Playing Assassin's Creed is a nightmare; I just spend the whole time thinking 'This would be a much better game if they just had a combat system like Arkham'. Nothing comes close.

Goddammit I'm going to start playing this again now.

Bear in mind that only Batman has the move where you destroy weapons, which means that combat challenges with the other characters are significantly harder when knives, electric batons and car doors make an appearance. When using Batman, you can build up sufficient combo to take out those weapons so you can just pummel people without worrying about whether you're doing the right counter or whether you have to attack the guy from the back or do a cape swirl first.

If me getting the GOTY edition for christmas and starting to play it again gets others back involved then that would be quality :D never been this excited about replaying a game before. In fact, I wasn't even this excited about most of this year's new games.

And you are spot on about Assassins creed 3 Tunisia. As much as I enjoyed parts of the combat it doesn't even come close to the polish and tightness of Arkham City. Like Nolans movies, the Arkham games have made it very difficult for everyone else.

Yeah, it's good.

I still think Arkham Asylum is the better game though.

Hmm I'd disagree. For me, City is easily the better 'game' (refined combat, lots more things to find, exploration is awesomer) but Asylum is the better 'adventure'.

But nobody has any excuse not to play both. Though I think going back to Asylum is weird as you miss all the little refinements to the controls and stuff.

I've completed this... 4 times, I think? Since getting it for Christmas last year. By far one of my favourite games of all time. The only downside is that it has completely ruined other games for me. Any other 3rd person close combat system pales like a fucking ghost compared to the flow, ease, and at the same time, difficulty of the Arkham games. Playing Assassin's Creed is a nightmare; I just spend the whole time thinking 'This would be a much better game if they just had a combat system like Arkham'. Nothing comes close.

Goddammit I'm going to start playing this again now.

+1

Was just going to post these exact sentiments. I'm currently half way through my 4th playthrough (twice on 360 and now on PC) and every time I play it I find something new. It's one of the few games I've played where I think 'how did they manage to get this game sooooo right?'

The combat, story, pacing, side missions and voice acting are all top notch. I love the way anyone can play it enjoy a superb action game but for DC fans the Batman lore is all there if you look in the right places - one of the best games of all time for me.

Gonna be rattling this when get home from work tonight. GOTY copy didn't arrive until this morning. As if going back into work today wasn't bad enough I had to leave this behind too :(

I did mess about with the demo last night to get a feel for things again and I actually forgot how ridiculously good the combat is. Mixing in gadgets with normal attacks and seeing it all come together is fantastic. Challenge room marathon kicks off around 6pm :D

It is just fucking brilliant isn't it ? I preferred Asylum's story and Metroidvania style, but the combat in City is just an absolute pleasure. The challenge rooms have kept me going for ages, they have that 'Just one more go' factor that used to make the old Tony Hawk's games so irresistible.

Even Sleeping Dogs feel clunky by comparison and I enjoyed the combat in that game too, and it makes GTA's on foot stuff seem downright unplayable.

Can't wait to see what Rocksteady come up with next.

Not just the best game of last year, but one of the best of this entire gen. I too prefer it over Asylum. Loved the freedom. Grapnel boosting yourself through the city was awesome and yes, the combat system is superior.

Can't wait to see what Rocksteady does next either. But I'm sure it'll be good.