Batman: Arkham City - Reviews - Post #882

The Sarge

Just checking in after resurrecting this thread for my GOTY edition arriving. Up to the

Rhas Al Ghul

fight and loving every second of the new game + run. The

Rhas Al Ghul

fight has got to be one of the best boss fights out there, absolutely incredible. Really enoying messing about with all the new suits too, some of them are quality.

Its ridiculous but Arkham City is up there for my personal GOTY for the 2nd year running :lol: now that is either a sad endightment of the 2012 release schedule or a tip of the hat to just how how good Arkham City is. I think its a bit of both probably.

Like my first run I just dont want it to end. But wait, there are hundreds of challenge maps to hit up when I am done :) tremendous stuff!!

Really loving this now, just dont the ra's al ghul trials, those wre excellent. taught me more about the gameplay than the entire gameplay that had gone before. The multiple knife attack counter is tricky, but really satisfying when you pull it off. Had no clue you could use the divebomb like that before either, which explained why I had no idea how to do one of those AR missions that opened early in the game.

For a AAA title there is surprisingly little hand holding going on which is really refreshing. I can be stuck in a room trying to figure things out for a while, where normally a game would start showing me where the solution was. Also no big floating arrows in the sky showing you where you should be going. Its good, but takes a little readjusting to.

On that note though, are all the joker trophies in those claw things accesible at any time in the game? I still havent done one, and they all seem impossible for now, I am thinking they are tied in with abilities I dont have, or perhaps I need to wait for a certain point in the game? more likely I am just being rubbish.

I am loving this, just played the freeze boss battle (excellent). However I have come to realise that I should have got the GOTY edition, as this is the bog standard one with the catwoman code already used. GOTY seems to be about £15, should I get that, or are there only a few bits of DLC I should worry about and would be more cost effective just to get those?

Not sure I will play the challenge rooms much if that helps (well I didn’t in Asylum)

I imagine it's more cost effective but most of the DLC content is based around the challenge rooms.

DLC = New Characters = Can only be used in Challenge Rooms

Also included is Catwoman, all additional maps, all Batman costumes and the bonus extra story chapter with Harley.

I am loving this, just played the freeze boss battle (excellent). However I have come to realise that I should have got the GOTY edition, as this is the bog standard one with the catwoman code already used. GOTY seems to be about £15, should I get that, or are there only a few bits of DLC I should worry about and would be more cost effective just to get those?

Not sure I will play the challenge rooms much if that helps (well I didn’t in Asylum)

The Catwoman stuff integrates with the campaign, so by this point you've probably missed her first two missions. Most people didn't think her missions were much cop, but I quite liked them. The last one adds a nice little extra dimension to the story. The costume DLC can be used whenever you fire up the campaign or a challenge room. It's a nice little extra for bat-fans.

All the other DLC sits apart from the campaign, so you can choose the stuff you want from Live I would have thought. If you can't get enough once you've done the campaign, you might want to check out the Harley Quinn DLC, which is an extra little story after the main campaign. Robin is excellent in this, by the way. It's worth getting the extra character DLC so you can use him in the challenge rooms.

It sounds like the most cost effective option is for you to download the Harley DLC judging by smithstock's comment above.

While I can understand people preferring the first game, I respectfully disagree; this is one of the the games of this generation.

Probably, but when its good its mainly inside interiors being like a refined AA. I enjoy traversing the open world in terms of the mechanics, but dont think it adds much else, in fact a lot of it is annoying.

Just replayed it; due to being a freebie on Playstation Plus and it really is a brilliant, brilliant game. I think I appreciated it even more the second time through. The movement and combat of Batman is just spot on, that's what makes it a joy for me. Everything you do is satisfying because the feel is so nailed down. The only down side is for me to buy all the DLC from the Playstation Store would cost more than buying a copy of the GOTY edition. So, I think I'm going to have to make another physical purchase.

Finished this for the second time over christmas with extra Harley. It really is a brilliant game, as well as everything else the music is superb

Song 16 is the one that I really noticed. It plays in those parts where you're stalking people in a room... stirring stuff! :)

All games developers need to play this. There isn't any aspect of it that isn't brilliant. The controls, tone, combat, stealth, gadgetry. It's everything a modern videogame should be and Batman just works superbly as the lead character. This blows away the pretentious shite that is The Dark Knight Rises. This is where the real Batman fix is. Even if you don't like Batman it's just a brilliant, brilliant game.

Aye I said it pages ago, this game is a high level template for not only games but game development.

Source Unreal Engine > Amazing License > Focus on Quality

The amount they do in the game which is quite cheap but is well disguised is fantastic.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

The way in which it doesn't hold your hand, even at the start, is great too. The menus for weapons, upgrades etc. are there when you're ready but they don't force you through tedious training sessions or tutorials. Traversing the city is training in itself, and really enjoyable.

The combat is something else. It never falls apart even with loads of enemies and it always makes you want to learn new combos and techniques. And it just so solid. You really feel the weight, bulk and toughness of Batman as an armoured assailant.

And it's liberating in a way other games just aren't. Use stealth or don't, gadgets or your fists, detective vision or plain sight. It doesn't let anything get in the way of excellent game.

I could go on and on :)

• 1 month later...

http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/12/new-batman-arkham-due-in-2013-warner-financials-suggest-rumour/

Batman: Arkham City is getting a follow up later this year, as confirmed by license holder Time Warner’s investor call last week. Seems it went under the radar.

batman-3.jpg

The full transcript of the investor call can be found via Yahoo! Finance.

During the call, Time Warner’s CFO and chief administrative officer John K. Martin stated, “And we also have a strong games release this year, which will include the next release in the Batman Arkham franchise. So all in all, we expect Warners to post another very strong year in 2013. And with a little luck, the year should be as good or maybe even a little bit better than 2012.”

VG247 own sources confirm that Rocksteady Studios is not developing this particular game.

This could mean a new game in the ‘Batman: Arkham’ franchise is due before the end of the year, or as part of the next financial year. We’ve contacted Warner Bros. to confirm.