Batman: Arkham City - Reviews - Post #882

The Sarge

Completed the NG+ Story last week and I enjoyed it even more second time around. It took some time to get used to the lack of prompts for countering enemy attacks but very satisfying once I began to remaster the combat.

It's still great fun giving the Combat and Predator maps a go for an hour, but I can't take the frustration of losing a freeflow bonus!

I think after last of us I am going to try and pick this back up, I got to shortly after a disappointing bit that involved grappling onto a load of helicopters and gave up. The tricky controls, sprawling landscape, complicated story (in terms of number of characters involved) and fighting system means it's quite inpenetratable to pick back up after a long lay off.

I think after last of us I am going to try and pick this back up, I got to shortly after a disappointing bit that involved grappling onto a load of helicopters and gave up. The tricky controls, sprawling landscape, complicated story (in terms of number of characters involved) and fighting system means it's quite inpenetratable to pick back up after a long lay off.

Play a few Riddler Challenge Rooms to get back into it. That's what I always do after a break. Means you don't bungle your way through story missions being very un-Batman-like

Such a good game, damn. Origins looks fun enough and even the MP announced today with its whiff of Spies versus Mercs could be interesting, but I can't wait to see what Rocksteady is working on. VGA reveal would be my guess.

The thing I love about that clip - halfway through you hear coughing from behind the camera and the shot wobbling a bit -

A little hint that the Joker in front of the camera is Clayface and that it's the real - and still sick - Joker that's filming him :-D

Shit did I just read an ending spoiler? (I don't know who that is btw).

I thought the coughing was Harley or something.

Wait... I just realized that I don't even remember why he got sick in the first place? Because of the Titan overdose during AA?

In anticipation of Origins I decided I would finally get around to playing Arkham City. I loved Arkham Asylum BUT I was most annoyed when I got to the final boss battle and my save file somehow got corrupted / disappeared. At the very end.

So now I've been playing Arkham City for the last 2 weeks. Put it on when I got home from work today and... gone. No save file detected. It's the Game Of The Year edition and it's all patched up.

Gutted.

Edit: Screw it, I'm going to start again. I'll just make regular backs up of my save game this time!

Yes, the riddler trophies carry over.

I picked this back up about a week ago and started an NG+. so far it's not been too bad, with the exception of the Catwoman brawl at Ivy's house. that took me at least 25 attempts.

• 5 months later...

So I managed to finish this on the Wii U.

Well, I think I finished it. Got what felt like a big ending - won't spoil it - but it feels like a pretty big deal.

So I thought to myself - thank god that's over. What an absolute slog. But maybe I'll unlock some of the riddler things or something.

And then it bloody goes back to Catwoman and the game isn't actually finished. Except it's some crappy mundane mission where you have to collect some stuff from her apartment...

That sums up my whole issue with this game. It's got so much bloat in it. Just way too much filler that makes it a drag.

Imagine if that was done in the Dark Knight Rises. The end shot where Alfred sees Bruce Wayne. Except instead of fading to black and the credits, you then got another 30 mins of Catwoman trying to get some laundry from her flat.

If it had been half the length, it would have been fun. It was just an utter chore by the end.

If Origins is ranked worse than this, I'm not going to bother with it,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So I'm finally getting round to playing this after having it on my shelf for years, not really sure what to think yet. It seems rather bloated and to be honest, ugly, but I suppose it is a few years old now. The thing I'm finding most depressing is the way all the female characters exist only to flash their cleavege and/or be beaten up and called a bitch. Having spent most of the last decade gaming mostly in the Nintendo ecosystem, it comes as a bit of a shock, is this what it's like in AAA land?

• 4 months later...

Finished Arkham City a few days ago. From what I gathered, for a lot of players it's not quite as highly-regarded as Asylum - it lacked the benefit of being a pleasant surprise when it turned out to be a brilliant superhero game, not as good a story, not as tightly-structured, a lot more sprawling with many more distractions from the story mode. And the problematic nature of Catwoman's portrayal was also distracting.

I'd agree that the story mode is not as good as Asylum's, but it's still a fantastic game, with one of the most empowering combat systems ever. (I've probably spent almost as much time in the combat challenge maps as I have in the story!)

IIRC the consensus on Arkham Origins is that it's a bit buggy and not as great as Rocksteady's first two, and by the third entry in the series the appeal of the games' basic design was beginning to wane (Wayne!!!) - but it's still worth playing?

I played through on Normal... although partway through I began wishing I'd selected Hard instead, as I would've liked the combat sections to be more of a challenge, if not the stealth sections and boss fights. I also should've turned off tips earlier than I did -

a couple of deaths on the Freeze boss robbed me of the chance to figure out what to do myself!

I'm wondering whether, rather than finishing the rest of the side-missions and Riddler trophies on my current Normal game, I should start a new file on Hard and do everything on there. I'll be playing it on Hard eventually anyway, so I might as well start it now while I have fewer side-missions and Riddler trophies to re-do! I don't really want to go to New Game Plus just yet - not sure I can handle the absence of counter markers, especially on the League of Assassins ninjas!

I'll probably play through Harley Quinn's Revenge before doing that though. I heard it's not that good, but I'll give it a go.

The way the game integrates the Catwoman missions seems a bit off. First, it's weird that her opening mission - really little more than a training fight explaining how Two-Face captures her - doesn't get included in your first story playthrough, and can only be accessed via the menu. And yet when you start New Game Plus, it is automatically placed before the credits begin!

Also, with Catwoman, I am utterly terrible at timing the leaps on her wall climbs. :(

My side mission progress:

Finished the Zsasz phone calls, the Bane side mission, found Mr Freeze's wife, and a couple of the others.

I've only saved two Riddler hostages so far, done the normal AR Training missions but not the advanced ones, only one or two Identity Killer clues, had a couple of encounters with the Mysterious Rooftop Watcher, a couple of Deadshot murders.

The thing about the Watcher and Deadshot events is that they seem to come up at random, just like the political prisoner attacks - are the triggers tied to your Riddler trophy count? I only had a couple of encounters with Deadshot and the Watcher throughout the main game - and then when I had continued the game after the end credits, I had one more from each almost immediately!

At first, I kept roaming around the City, wondering if the angles of the Watcher's symbolic lines on the map meant anything beyond what the scanner analysis shows - it'd be nice if you could actually use your own puzzle-solving skills to figure out where he is, instead of relying on scripted in-game detective work, but apparently not. The first time I met him I saw him on a roof and went up to meet him - but the two subsequent meetings have only come about as I randomly ran into him face-to-face after I mistook him for a normal enemy, which didn't feel very dramatic!

The Mad Hatter's tea party and the Ra's al Ghul vision were fun, but not as clever as the Scarecrow hallucinations in Arkham Asylum. You can overhear guards wondering whether Scarecrow's imprisoned too, but it's a shame that there don't seem to be any real Scarecrow tricks in this game. (Unless there's the unlikely possibility that they come up in one of the incomplete side-missions. Don't tell me if they do, though!)