rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
ThePixelbarks

MOBA Central: LoL/DOTA2/HotS/Marvel's/DC's/KingOfFighter's one/The Other one/LotR has one too, right?

MOBA CENTRAL!

This is a thread to discuss all matters regarding this strange genre of games. A team based Player v Player RTS where you only control one unit. Great fun to be had by all!

The most popular examples of this are:

League of Legends
Heroes of newerth
Valve's DOTA2 (currently in beta)
&
Blizzard's DOTA (In Alpha at the moment, but I'm looking forward to playing it.)

UPDATE: We have started a League of Legends team! ANYONE can join in, as the more we have the merrier it is.

You can set up an account right here and join us right away! ----> HERE!

Once you've set an account, then feel free to add us all to your friends list. There tends to be a fair few of us on every night! ----> MOBA Username list

We also have a mumble (Voice chat) server set up, the address for that is: mumble://muklol01.mumble.com:6675/?version=1.2.3

If the community of these games puts you off, play as a team of friends, and Voila! All the raging little kiddies have vanished! SO JOIN RLLMUK!

• Upvote 2

Never heard of it, is it RTS/RPG?

Strangly it's a hybrid of the two. It's all top down, but you only control one character. So like a lot of action RPG's like Titan's Quest.

I started to investigate Heroes of Newerth but got put off by tales of the mega-cunt community and just how ludicrously technical the game is. Supposedly LoL is better but it's still DotA at heart, think I'll just wait for whatever Valve are cooking.

I've not suffered any of this elitism yet, as it does a good job of seperating the newbies and the "pros". Given that it gives everyone a level based upon how well they have been doing, it's easy to be matched against someone of a similar skill level. Also, there is a system in place that rewards the top players for playing against people of a similar skill. So I've not had the trouble of being steamrolled by the opposition.

I downloaded League of Legends over the weekend, went through the tutorials and had a few games. It's pretty damn good actually. Far better than I was expecting. The few games I've had have been well matched with people my own level and I've seen no evidence of trash talking. People have actually been quite nice and helpful.

Tonight I might try out Heroes of Newerth.

Here's a great video comparing the two:

Having spent another couple of evenings playing League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth, I must say I'm pretty impressed.

Some bullet points:

- active community, easy to get games at a newbie level

- lots of other newbies who are understanding and helpful

- a number of mid-level players who are willing to advise and assist

- the range of maps, heroes, and strategies mean these games have HUGE depth

- the learning curve is NOT as steep as people make out

- the community is NOT as toxic as people make out

If anyone's interested in playing some games, wants to team up, or wants any advice, let's discuss it here.

Don't suppose there's any way of getting the thread title to be "League of Legends / Heroes of Newerth"?

Just to let everyone know that Heroes of Newerth is going Free2Play for a few days, starting today:

http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/newsletter/vol9/news.html

lots of changes, including many to make the game "newbie friendly", with lots of guidance and help with selecting and levelling your characters.

There are also games tagged to provide mentorship, to really help out the new player:

http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=258774

Awesome.

• Upvote 1

Just joined 3 games of HoN that said "Noobs welcome" and got loads of abuse for being shit :unsure:

I don't think this is for me

Just joined 3 games of HoN that said "Noobs welcome" and got loads of abuse for being shit :unsure:

I had the exact same experience with League of Legends a few months ago. Great game, but at a certain level the vast majority of players became very abusive for even the smallest of mistakes.

I put up with it for a fews days, but then decided it really wasnt for me.

I haven't played HoN, but I've been told it's even less noob friendly.

The HON team has set up a specific set of games which have mentors in them for this week. It's linked in the second link in my post above.

Basically, if you open the "public games" tab, and search for "lncip", you will get their games listed. These games are for new players and new accounts only, during the Free to Play period. No abuse.. promise :)

Yeah thanks very much for posting that link, I did follow it - unfortunately it looks like there's only one of those games open at the moment, and it took about 45 minutes for it to actually start because they kept kicking people who weren't on Free-to-Play accounts. And then it wasn't really much fun!

Will give it another go tonight though :) It's one of those games that I really, really want to like but it's not clicking for me yet

League of Legends is free to play with micro-transactions to get new heroes etc. I also really like League of Legends, and it is a more accessible game.

Heroes of Newerth is significantly more polished, and some argue is a deeper game, but this also brings a community with high expectations of performance from even "newbie" players. It's difficult to get games with other new players in HoN due to the match making system and public game system not effectively matching people. However, this F2P period, combined with the tutorial games being held, is a great opportunity.

I'm far far far from a decent player at either game, I just enjoy them and have a thick enough skin that I find abusive crybaby quitters an amusing sideshow. What I really need to do is find a group of people, or a clan, to play with and improve.

I'll be on HoN most days at the moment, so feel free to add me as a friend (details in my sig).

Will give it another go tonight though :) It's one of those games that I really, really want to like but it's not clicking for me yet

This is one of the problems. It's a great game. Unfortunately the community and poor game finding/matchmaking make it really difficult for new players to get any good at it.

It's quite good fun, I do seem to get one-shotted a lot though. I think possibly I'm not levelling up quick enough!

This is one of the problems. It's a great game. Unfortunately the community and poor game finding/matchmaking make it really difficult for new players to get any good at it.

Heroes of Newerth's game finding/matchmaking is excellent after you've played a few matches, it's just that there isn't any equivalent to Starcraft 2's placement matches so it might take a while for new accounts to reach their 'true' rating.

I've been playing HoN solidly since the closed beta and I'm still not bored of it - along with DotA it's one of my favourite games ever. If anyone ever wants to play matchmaking I'm hovering between 1800-1850 MMR on the MrPeckerston account.

I've been playing LoL on and off recently and have been enjoying it. Not had an issues with new player bashing or anything, everyone's seemed fairly helpful towards each other. I'm Jonster on there if you ever fancy a game.

there's quite a lot of anger in HoN :o

There is, but just don't take it too seriously. I'm sure some people are determined to adhere to the unreasonable, inconsiderate, abusive, stereotype. I just treat it as part of the entertainment.

I've had some great games this weekend, as there are people posting "Beginner" games, as opposed to the usual "noob" games (which aren't really noob at all and any remotely new player gets flamed).

Right, as DotA2 is seemingly not that far away. I propose that as a forum, Rllmuk gets together and starts a team. And I can think of no better way, then practising on Leauge of Legends.

For those who are worried about the communities, trust me, this game is far better played with other people you know. It's a superb little game, completely free to play (without any sort of "pay to win" in the background, as you can't buy anything with real money that would give you an advantage).

League has also just added a new game mode by the name of Dominion. Which plays very much like BF2/ Arathi Basin in WoW.

Here's another vid with a wee overview on just exactly the game is:

If anyone feels like joining, here's a link: TAA DAA (Might as well get a few referrals in the process ;)

Ah, marvellous. I started a few weeks ago and played a handful of games, but it's clearly going to be better with a properly organised group. Sign me up. :)

My username is mogster85.

I'd be up for this but not sure how much time I'll be able to put into it, I'm Jonster on League of Legends

I have been distantly fascinated by the genre, which is obviously extremely popular amongst a certain audience, yet I've never been compelled to give it a go. If a bunch of 'mukkers are wading in I'll sign up to LoL and see what all the fuss is about.

Been playing this for a while, it's great, the only problem is the odd dickhead who thinks everyone is a noob and begs you to report other players for being a noob the entire game.

Had someone on my team the other night playing Akali who thought another guy was a noob because he kept getting ganked, after complaining she went afk in are base and we proceeded to win the game 4v5.

I'm up for some MUK games of League of Legends. Pixelbark - what are you recommending we do, just add each other as friends, or is there a clan system?

My League of Legends username is in my signature -- add me as a friend on there.

So, can someone explain what League of Legends is, what it's about, how much it costs, etc? :) I really know very little about it, other than it growing from some kind of Warcraft 3 mod. Really I'm just up for it because I'm up for most multiplayer titles that Rllmuk gets behind.