IGNORED

Bioshock: Infinite - New E3 Demo - Post #307

The Sarge

Hadn't completely decided whether I was going to get this or not - having given up on Bioshock 1 and ignored 2, for no particularly good reason in either case - and I was favouring console if I was going to but that GMG deal was just ridiculously good. I'd been curious to check out Spec Ops: The Line so even if never touch the other two freebies - fairly likely - then it's still an utter bargain. (Plus 6% Quidco cashback too if you're into that sort of thing...)

And it's going to look super sexy too. That IGN review being so glowing but mentioning the framerate, etc., as one of the few downsides on 360 would have swung it if GMG hadn't.

Can't wait now!

This is the first time I've abandoned Shopto for a preorder in years but the lure of playing this tomorrow for 30 quid from Simplygames was too great.

I was one of the few who thought Bioshock 2 was a markedly better game than the first so I'm very interested to see how this turns out. The mention of a drawn-out middle section in the IGN review does concern me slightly given some of the padding fetch-quests in the first game though.

Shopto can get stuffed when they are asking for £7 more.

OK here is my opinion:

Bioshock 1 was a metaphor for pre-war Iraq: Ryan was supposed to be Evil, but it turned out there was far worse. you went deeper into Rapture to do good, only to find out that you were manipulated into it.

Bishock infinite is a metaphor for post-war Iraq: you are trying to get out of it and wish it was all a bad dream.

Edited by Pob
Could be maybe a minor spoiler maybe

Just finished the Industrial Revolution flash game thing, a lot of content but I really had to push myself through all 59 puzzles and the reward? Pictures to advertise the game on Facebook...

Just got this delivered from SimplyGames, for £30 really decent service.

Moving all my pre-orders over to them now - they also delivered GoW Ascension three days early.

Is it worth completing the Infinite Industrial Revolution puzzles? Do you get anything worthwhile to doing them all?

I would've had mine delivered today, but its a winter wonderland now and no chance of post. :(

One thing IGN makes note of is that only two weapons and two plasmids can be hotkeyed when playing with a controller, whereas presumably on a keyboard you can use the number keys. I was thinking about carting the PC downstairs to play on my TV, but I'll keep it on the desk like a true master race hunchback for this reason. This often bugs me in games, Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Dishonored and Mass Effect are big culprits for this. You can't beat having all your skills and powers at the touch of a button rather than having to dip into a radial menu to select one which isn't hotkeyed, I find the stop-starting really dampens the excitement of an action scene on occasion. It seems odd that in any game where the gameplay is built around the player juggling lots of skills, the control input only allows you to use a couple of them at a time. Seeing as the vast majority of people will play the game with a pad, I wish they'd find a better way around this limitation, but I can't think of one other than reducing the amount of skills.

Skyrim is easily fixable with categorized favorites, works like a charm. Besides it's not like System Shock 2 had easily selectable powers and that was PC only. Down to a good UI designer and unfortunately none of the good ones will touch games dev as the money is utter fucking shite.

Nah what I mean is, in Skyrim you map anything to like across your number keys once you've added them to favourites. You can have 10 skills/spells/shouts/weapons at the touch of a button. When you play it with a controller (which I did for 100 hours!) you can only map a couple to the dpad, and you need to pause the action to equip other spells/shouts etc. With a magic build It's much more fun have to 10 spells available at a tap, mixing and matching them. Mass Effect is even better, it allows you to map squadmate abilities to your number keys as well as your own, so you've basically a load of instant-cast spells at your fingertips without having to pause/slow down the action.

Nah what I mean is, in Skyrim you map anything to like across your number keys once you've added them to favourites. You can have 10 skills/spells/shouts/weapons at the touch of a button. When you play it with a controller (which I did for 100 hours!) you can only map a couple to the dpad, and you need to pause the action to equip other spells/shouts etc. With a magic build It's much more fun have to 10 spells available at a tap, mixing and matching them. Mass Effect is even better, it allows you to map squadmate abilities to your number keys as well as your own, so you've basically a load of instant-cast spells at your fingertips without having to pause/slow down the action.

The Arkham games do a good job of giving pretty instant access to a whole load of gadgets via the d-pad. Another thing other devs need to copy from Rocksteady

Yeah, that's a very good example of doing it right. The second one lets you add them into combos with LB or RB and a facebutton I think, which works really well too. Comes in handy when doing some of the tougher achievements.

The attention to detail in this is staggering. The combat is very much like Bioshock so far. Probably a little bit on the hectic side for my tastes. I can see myself finding a vigor that I'll probably end up spamming, rather than experimenting in the way Ken Levine intended.

I'm really enjoying this so far. It's very much a new BioShock, albeit with less of a horror feel and grander fire fights; encounters typically involve more enemies but they go down quicker. On the downside it also has a very similar UI, an element that bugged me in the prior two games.

To be honest I don't want to say much about it as I've personally been feeling the benefits of trying to avoid pre-release footage; it was kind of unusual to be able to hit New Game and not know how things were going to start. Feel free to fire off any specific questions, though.

Oh, the PS3 version seems good to me. It's easy to point out the odd blurry texture but the overall presentation is beautiful, especially the lighting. The framerate hasn't given me any trouble, either; it isn't rock solid but I haven't run into the kind of sustained drop that affects playability. There wasn't a mandatory install, which is unusual for an Unreal game.

One thing IGN makes note of is that only two weapons and two plasmids can be hotkeyed when playing with a controller, whereas presumably on a keyboard you can use the number keys. I was thinking about carting the PC downstairs to play on my TV, but I'll keep it on the desk like a true master race hunchback for this reason. This often bugs me in games, Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Dishonored and Mass Effect are big culprits for this. You can't beat having all your skills and powers at the touch of a button rather than having to dip into a radial menu to select one which isn't hotkeyed, I find the stop-starting really dampens the excitement of an action scene on occasion. It seems odd that in any game where the gameplay is built around the player juggling lots of skills, the control input only allows you to use a couple of them at a time. Seeing as the vast majority of people will play the game with a pad, I wish they'd find a better way around this limitation, but I can't think of one other than reducing the amount of skills.

It sucks and it is stupid. But it can be done, so I don't know why developers don't it.

Using a pinnacle profile you can map every shortcut the keyboard offers. You can even make double tap commands. Voila. No better way to play this and no need for any skills to be reduced.

Oh, the PS3 version seems good to me. It's easy to point out the odd blurry texture but the overall presentation is beautiful, especially the lighting. The framerate hasn't given me any trouble, either; it isn't rock solid but I haven't run into the kind of sustained drop that affects playability. There wasn't a mandatory install, which is unusual for an Unreal game.

Yeah, the framerate holds up pretty well, I've only seen one noticable drop for a second and two instances of screen tearing, but the game's overall image is too blurry looking for my liking, is it sub-HD or is it the type of AA? Either way it spoils the game's visuals :(

Here are some PS3 framebuffer shots I reeled off:

bioshockinfinite_4l6p0f.png

bioshockinfinite_10tfzn0.png

bioshockinfinite_48ryfy.png

bioshockinfinite_65czeu.png

bioshockinfinite_80ta0d.png

bioshockinfinitemxy13.png

bioshockinfinite_1njxb4.png

bioshockinfinite_3t9ylz.png

bioshockinfinite_5h1a91.png

bioshockinfinite_15vsyfq.png

bioshockinfinite_6qbpll.png

bioshockinfinite_16ddoga.png

bioshockinfinite_77hqp8.png

bioshockinfinite_8qqqup.png

bioshockinfinite_9xip68.png

bioshockinfinite_12gyosd.png

bioshockinfinite_15myq3i.png

PS3 vs PC

bioshockinfinite_2cqzzm.png

VyREbGg.jpg

The game is very enjoyable so far :)

I can't read what it says on the pig sign in the PS3 screenshot. And I can just about make out the individual sausages on the hotdog stall on the PC version when zoomed in. Other than that there's little to differentiate between the two. And this is why we eagerly await the opportunity to spend £400 on PS4.