Bioshock: Infinite - New E3 Demo - Post #307

The Sarge

I presume I'm about half way through it having just met the Vox.

That about right?

It's good so far, not earth shattering, although I do like the phasing mechanic that's just been introduced.

One thing though is there is seemingly very little AI on show. The soldiers/cops/whoever just run around a bit before charging at you.

Still, it's pretty and enjoyable enough.

Yeah the AI isnt fantastic. Especially annoying is when you possess a vending machine and it automatically alerts everyone in the vicinity to you as being there and hostile.

Still, lines them all up nicely for you, to do a

Bucking bronco, switch to Devils kiss (with the tornado hat equipped)=Utter carnage

Like I said before though, the combat is not state of the art, however the total package is outstanding.

Yeah the AI isnt fantastic. Especially annoying is when you possess a vending machine and it automatically alerts everyone in the vicinity to you as being there and hostile.

Still, lines them all up nicely for you, to do a

Bucking bronco, switch to Devils kiss (with the tornado hat equipped)=Utter carnage

Like I said before though, the combat is not state of the art, however the total package is outstanding.

I don't know. Could have done with a tacked on multiplayer mode, if you ask me...

;)

The gameplay is in no way sub par. Its fun, and vastly improved over Bioshock. I just think overall i was a little disappointed but it may have jsut been because of the hype train. Still a great game tho. Id say Bioshock has the better setting, story and characters, but infinite has the better gameplay and graphics.

I'd agree with this. I stopped playing Bioshock half way through and came back to finish it six months later. This game I started again almost as soon as I finished the first run and can't seem to get enough. I've never done that with a game before*. Overall I think this is a much better game.

*I tried it on Dark Souls but I didn't get too far

Theres a lot of unnessecary Leigh Alexandar type nitwittery going about, youtube vidoes dedicated to "whats wrong with Bioshock Infinite". I've no idea why.

It is an incredibly hyped game which has failed to deliver what was promised in the early trailers and gameplay videos. I don't think it's a surprise to see people talking about what was wrong with it, certainly my reaction was to discuss my disappointment before I delved into finding out exactly what the fuck just happened in the story.

I'm not saying it is a bad game but having seen the trailers then seen the percentages on metacritic I was expecting it to be brilliant and you can see that it had the potential to be something great but there are places where it falls down, overall it feels like they made compromises to get the game out, polished up something that was maybe 60% of the game that so many people bought into and generally disappointed everyone in the process.

I wish I had enjoyed it more and I think everyone commenting on where it went wrong probably does to, the moaning isn't coming from a negative place. Sure, the publisher made their money and I'm sure they are happy but from a player perspective and for the very art of video games, fixing the flaws people have noticed would have made it the game everyone expected it to be.

There's nothing wrong with the story here, or the way it looks or the shooting. I just wish there was more to the gameplay than shooting. The environments and characters of the first Bioshock and this deserve at least a bit more interactivity imo.

Maybe some minigames like the pipedream one from the first game? Or something else. What would you add if you could?

I understand you can pick any creative work to pieces if you try hard enough, where do all the civilians go yadda yadda yadda, but IMO games like this are just so few and far between we have to make the most of them to appreciate the experience as fully as possible. When playing through the first time it was a case of wandering around,trying to take it all in,making a few notes of things which might turn out to be significant at the end, and then simply loving the ending, the presentation, the way it all makes sense

for a SF addict anyway

. Second time around it was all about spotting the missed story clues which pop up right from the beginning, and challenging myself to use all the available tools in combat on 1999 mode. It was a good challenge for me but was only attractive in the first place because I felt combat could be both inventive and enjoyable. Witcher 2 was like that - really tough in places, but full use of all the various traps and ranged options made it feasible - I'm totally crap at pure fighting games and get bored with straightforward FPS.

My number one tip for the final battle is to have upgraded possession on hand for the rocketeers and make liberal use of shock jockey traps in the forward most area and along the front of the sidewalks.

Maybe some minigames like the pipedream one from the first game? Or something else. What would you add if you could?

Angry Joe had a video review with some really fair criticisms. He said the vigors are great in combat, but would have also been interesting for us in environment based puzzles- like in singularity/half life 2. The most they get used for is money from vending machines.

I think that would have made the gorgeous locations fleshed out a bit more other than for combat/looting/drooling. Might be wishful thinking though, as so much work has clearly been put into the rest of the experience as it is in just making it a much better bioshock game. It destroyed the original Bioshock for me. What is interest is seeing people holding that up in terms of story/location/characters in comparison, but if you look back, bioshock 1 was so typically gamey:

- Had traditional levels with traditional bosses- the idea of steinman and his build up was cool only to fight a dull bullet sponge enemy. Yawn. And end boss lol and bland endings. The game really ended at meeting Ryan in terms of narrative. Also the sphere travel really meant it didn't feel seamless as a world. Rapture felt like isolated sub compartments rather than a full on city. The journey around columbia actually feels like a journey.

- Fuck the pipe hacking

- Respawning enemies meant I could never full relax and explore

- After the twist, the story element was pretty poor and the exploration started to suffer just before with collect a thon quests

Also I'm playing through System Shock 2 right now and I'm shocked at how much of it is Bioshock! Well, the other way around, but you know what I mean! I thought Infinite was a massive improvement in pretty much every area.

My number one tip for the final battle is to have upgraded possession on hand for the rocketeers and make liberal use of shock jockey traps in the forward most area and along the front of the sidewalks.

For me what made it pretty easy was-

using Return to Sender traps on the generator- like covering them with it. A big bunch of the front, side, back. Right on the actual thing. They just soak up the bullets, leaving you free to take down the Zepplins yourself- which is pretty easy- and using the Songbird for the rocket ship nearer the start and then to mop up any of the motorised patriots. Generator power was about 70% by the time the fight ended.

For me what made it pretty easy was-

using Return to Sender traps on the generator- like covering them with it. A big bunch of the front, side, back. Right on the actual thing. They just soak up the bullets, leaving you free to take down the Zepplins yourself- which is pretty easy- and using the Songbird for the rocket ship nearer the start and then to mop up any of the motorised patriots. Generator power was about 70% by the time the fight ended.

That's really smart, and I wish I'd thought of that.

Ha, brilliant thinking. I bet that vigor would help a lot with sirens too. Never got round to using it much myself - maybe next time round!.

Same here, on 1999 mode my generator was around 70% full at the end of the game the way I played it

If you control the crowd they dont even get close. Watch the songbird clock on the top right, it recovers twice as fast when you bring him onto the deck, rather than attacking a barge. I used devils kiss with blood to salts on it, so i had constant salt refills. That clears out all the soldiers easily. Any patriots were taken out by songbird, until it reaches a point where as soon you kill them, the barge drops 2 more instantly. You just use return to sender on them, and you can shoot them in the back easily as theyre focussed on the generator. The heavy weapon dudes I just posssessed instantly, they didnt even get a look in.

If you do it right, youre literally sitting waiting looking at the zeppelins and leasiurely sending songbird up to blow them up.

Oh and the frame rate doesnt chug if youre doing it right too because the crowd doesnt build up.

Please tell me this is fake.

In a recent interview with Kotaku, Breen Malmberg, a gamer and a Christian, explained his convictions:

"As baptism of the Holy spirit is at the center of Christianity - of which I am a devout believer - I am basically being forced to make a choice between committing extreme blasphemy by my actions in choosing to accept this 'choice' or forced to quit playing the game before it even really starts.

Of course I cannot hold true to my beliefs and also commit this act, so I am therefor[e] forced to not play the game."

Far be it from me to quibble with Malmberg's conscience, but it seems a little strange to draw the line at baptism. Video games are chock-full of actions that are specifically forbid in most religious texts and, for some reason, are easily ignored. Murder is probably the most salient example, but premarital sex, taking the lord's name in vain, and wizardry are also on the docket.

Apparently he got a refund by Valve. More at Kotaku.

Hahaha what the fuck?!

If you need further convincing, I will use the analogy that if you were a muslem, it would be like forcing the player into an in-game action of "press x to spit on the face of allah" in order to proceed any further with the game and with no choice or way around doing so.

I don't even know where to begin.

It sure beats "Press X to cut leg".

I started this at the weekend and I'm finding it an excellent game, I'm only on page 32 of this thread as I'm staying away from spoilers on it but I have a quick question for you all.

I'm up to the point where you fight an airship and so far all the music in this game is blowing me away, the re-arranged tunes are something I could listen to over and over again.

Is there a soundtrack available for this that contains these tunes?

Sorry if this has already been covered in the thread, I am going to catch up in here but only once I finished the game.

I started this at the weekend and I'm finding it an excellent game, I'm only on page 32 of this thread as I'm staying away from spoilers on it but I have a quick question for you all.

I'm up to the point where you fight an airship and so far all the music in this game is blowing me away, the re-arranged tunes are something I could listen to over and over again.

Is there a soundtrack available for this that contains these tunes?

Sorry if this has already been covered in the thread, I am going to catch up in here but only once I finished the game.

OST was only available with one of the special editions- songbird one or maybe the tier below as well. They don't sell it separately right now but I think you can find a collection on youtube.

And yes, get out of the thread and don't come back till you're done!