Bioshock: Infinite - New E3 Demo - Post #307

The Sarge

Doom is 20 years old and still plays amazingly.

So i got about 20 mins in, and its confusing the hell out of me, it doesnt bother with any modern game style easing you in or explanations. I was seen by a camera, attacked by 6 zombies, but you swing your wrench so slowly its useless. The story seems good and id like to see Bioshocks roots, but its really clunky.

Well i am playing on a pad on a tv so its trickier. Spent some time adding mods which decreases performance until you fix some stuff (running on a laptop HDMI'd to tv). The music is twice as loud as the rest of the audio by default, and it kicks in with this weird terrible late 90s drum n bass crap every time you meet an enemy...so that had to be turned off. An hour in now and enjoying the storyline, even if it is still very clunky. The enemy gun turrents are a pain, combat is still poor but im treating it like an RPG. Seeing so many Bioshock influences already, hypos, local adversaries like the computer system Xerxes just like the "owners" of certain areas like Dr Steiner. Obviously audio diaries etc. Gona persist with it.

Finally got round to finishing this. Simply amazing.

Bioshock infinite now joins Primer and Donnie Darko on my "things it hurts my head to think about" list.

It's this kind of game that makes me want to convince non-gaming friends that they're missing out, though I'm sure they'd just spend ten minutes walking against a wall in the lighthouse before declaring it's stupid because they can't go swim in the ocean instead:( Ah well, their loss.

quick question for those that have finished it:

There's a bit just after you rescue Elizabeth, where you're ambushed while trying to buy a ticket for an airship.

You're given the option to "draw your gun" at the ultra-shifty ticket clerk, or "ask again" for a ticket.

What happens if you "draw your gun"?

Finally got round to finishing this. Simply amazing.

Bioshock infinite now joins Primer and Donnie Darko on my "things it hurts my head to think about" list.

It's this kind of game that makes me want to convince non-gaming friends that they're missing out, though I'm sure they'd just spend ten minutes walking against a wall in the lighthouse before declaring it's stupid because they can't go swim in the ocean instead:( Ah well, their loss.

quick question for those that have finished it:

There's a bit just after you rescue Elizabeth, where you're ambushed while trying to buy a ticket for an airship.

You're given the option to "draw your gun" at the ultra-shifty ticket clerk, or "ask again" for a ticket.

What happens if you "draw your gun"?

I drew my gun and the police and seemingly everyone else milling around the room attacked as it was a trap. I assume the same thing happens if you ask again. I think its one of the games fake 'choices' (like the who do you throw the ball at or choosing the cage or the bird charm for Elizabeth - regardless of the choice the game carries on in the same vein).

I drew my gun and the police and seemingly everyone else milling around the room attacked as it was a trap. I assume the same thing happens if you ask again. I think its one of the games fake 'choices' (like the who do you throw the ball at or choosing the cage or the bird charm for Elizabeth - regardless of the choice the game carries on in the same vein).

Really? something different for me then (spoiler warning):

I politely put my hand onto the counter, and the shifty ticket clerk put a knife right through the AD on Booker's hand. He spent the rest of the game with a bandage covering it:) I wonder if that changed anything else...

I'm going to have to replay this, aren't I :(

:)

Really? something different for me then (spoiler warning):

I politely put my hand onto the counter, and the shifty ticket clerk put a knife right through the AD on Booker's hand. He spent the rest of the game with a bandage covering it:) I wonder if that changed anything else...

I'm going to have to replay this, aren't I :(

:)

I assume Elizabeth also runs off after that fight no matter what you choose, but I expect Booker says something different to her on the gondola. After pulling the gun he says something like "I've learned that if you don't draw first, you don't get to draw at all", which wouldn't make much sense to say if you didn't draw your gun

I assume Elizabeth also runs off after that fight no matter what you choose, but I expect Booker says something different to her on the gondola. After pulling the gun he says something like "I've learned that if you don't draw first, you don't get to draw at all", which wouldn't make much sense to say if you didn't draw your gun

Can't remember what he says to be honest, but she bandages his hand on he gondola, so the AD isn't visible. At the time it seemed like quite a big change, but I'm racking my brains now to come up with any time after that where his hand-mark made a difference.

Finished it on the hardest difficulty and only died about 5 times so it's very doable; did the final battle comfortably first time.

Ending is just as good second time around and there are so many little things that you notice fitting together, especially listening to the voxophones again.

With regards the choices, i much preferred

your hand getting stabbed, which means you've got a bandage on your hand the rest of the game and you completely forget about the A.D brand until the end.

Also the choice of who you throw the ball at affects who turns up a bit later to give you a gift, and if you don't kill Slate he turns up in the prison near Chen Lin looking lobotomised.

First game i got 1000/1000 in since Dark Souls so it sits on a high pedestal.

I've not been following this thread, and I know it's divided a lot of people (as did the first Bioshock) but I think I'm near the end, just

released Elizabeth after seeing the future her, and all leading up to the 'reveal' I was dreading what was going to happen. From what I've gleaned from peoples reactions to the ending I'm not sure it's going to get much better

So, yeah, it's fucking great.

Just finished, enjoyed but I much preferred the original's setting, characters and plot.

The ending just fell completely flat for me ,

which was a shame as I don't mind 'out there' endings i thought it would go straight up Dark City at some point) but this just seemed a convoluted mess, dragged out for ages

Well worth playing but I have no real desire to go through it again. Columbia didn't captivate me in the same way Rapture did.

Nah, I loved the ending. It all came together in the end, it was fantastic. Most games have utter, utter fucking dogshit endings and the fact this did more than "And they died" or "And they lived happily ever after" or "and you killed the bad guy, well done" is worthy of praise in itself.

I find it funny that people complain (not here, the internet) about games having short endings, then when presented with a 20 minute mind blowing epic....wah wah info dump. Yes...AMAZING info dump.

I don't know how far into this I am but i find the game seems split between the very nice setting and story they have created and the old school gameplay you'd expect in any other shooter. I feel as though there isn't enough interaction and things going on in the world when you aren't shooting for it to feel like anything other than a stage.

It also seems a little too keen to force you into an arena to fight. I was just sniping people through a door and went a little too far into the room and was instantly locked in. Most of these battle seems to follow the pattern of wheeling out one of those robots at the end too which is a little boring now.

I am definitely enjoying it but mostly to see what the story is about, I turned the difficulty down from hard to normal to move things forward a little faster :)

I'm enjoying this immensely. I love how 'videogamey' it is, with Sega blue skies, goddess type statues in a nod to Dragon Quest and Zelda, time slips, Ghibli etc. I'm even reminded of Mario.

The gameplay is much improved over the first Bioshock. Whilst still erring on the clunky side the combat is frantic and fun. Mixing up and upgrading vigors/weapons is much more intuitive too.

Overall it's just so polished and intelligently made. I love soaking it all up and just letting it have its effect on me. It's completely out there and high concept. Can't think of any other studio that comes anywhere near it.

One of the highlights of this generation.

Got round to playing the last 3 / 4 hours of this today to finish it up. So I can now finally sum it up.

The shooter mechanics throughout the game where ok. Quite enjoyable having skylines occasionally at my disposal but everything else was the standard Bioshock fare. Columbia just dripped with atmosphere and the storyline had me hooked from start to finish. But, I'm not convinced by the ending. It feels like something Damon Lindelof would come up with. One revelation was brilliant, everything else felt a bit like it was added to the story late, possibly after Ken Levine had spent the proceeding hours rolling and smoking about 10 joints.

Edit: if forthcoming Bioshock games are still based around the endless looting concept then I'm done with this series.

But, I'm not convinced by the ending. It feels like something Damon Lindelof would come up with.

Nah, there was nowhere near enough "LITERAL BONESCRACK JESUS BONESCRACK" for that to be the case.

Finished this today.

Wow. Mind blown by the ending. Best ending to a game since Metal Gear Solid 3.

Some crazy mad battles towards the end. 20 hours playtime according to Steam. Bloody hell. That ending is going to stay with me.

Just reading through the thread and taking it all in, but one thing that people say about the ending...

That our Elizabeth is not there. Is that the case? Doesn't one Elizabeth not disappear before it cuts to black? I'm sure there is one remaining, or am I misremembering?

"our" liz dropped you at the baptism area and left, she's now outside of the events that transpired in my interpretation, due to all the doors opening for her. So I think didn't dissapear after leaving Booker.

So I've just myself got round to playing Infinite over this past week and finished it in the early hours of this morning. I got into a momentum and just couldn't stop until the ending.

Mind. Blown!

The combat is certainly the weakest part, some bits were a bit of a slog and one particular boss was just plain torture on hard. Saying that, I think with better choices of upgrades for weapons and vigours I could make 1999 mode more manageable.

Everything else about the game was great though. Looked gorgeous, Elizabeth is a joy and the finale made it all worth while and will no doubt make a second playthrough even more interesting.

I've been thinking about it A LOT since I finished it last night, and I'm still not sure if I like it as much as BioShock (though, if I don't, it's bloody close, and the fact that it's in the running is as high praise as I can give). The story is great, and the ending works better (what with the meat of BioShock's story having come earlier, and the end itself being something of a damp squib, albeit one I quite liked), but the world, while still fantastic, doesn't work quite so well as Rapture, and isn't filled with as interesting a cast of characters. Andrew Ryan, Sander Cohen et al all made more of an impression than anyone from Columbia bar perhaps the Luteces. This isn't really a criticism per se, what with BioShock remaining one of my all-time favourites, but it's still true.

The other thing that bothered me in the context of Columbia were the Vigors. In Rapture, filled with the best, brightest, and craziest, Plasmids made (some kind of) sense. In (on?!) Columbia, largely filled with people who seemed almost like religious, pious common folk in the main in comparison, the Vigors (and their advertising) seemed a little out of place, which was something I found jarring at first, and never quite reconciled.

Of course, almost all the 'game' stuff seems to go Infinite's way, at least on the surface; it looks nicer, the sound design and soundtrack/score are more memorable, it controls/plays better, etc. It's an evolution, and it shows. I would argue, however, that in BioShock the Plasmids felt more integral to the game, and I had more use for more of them, whereas in Infinite I mainly just switched between two or three, with another one or two maybe used on occasion, and the others used once or twice out of idle curiousity. I suppose this is as much my failing as the game's, and will likely change on further playthroughs, but it still fed the feeling I had that, as good as it all was, Infinite wasn't as pure a BioShock game it's predecessor(s). It almost feels to me like Rapture is an amazing setting designed to be BioShock to it's very core, whereas Columbia feels like an amazing setting which has had BioShock forced onto it. Perhaps that's fitting, in a way...

Story-wise, I think I have it all pieced together now, thanks to this thread and a few places elsewhere, though...

...as is always the case with these kinds of things, a few things don't feel like they've pulled together quite right (the post-credits sequence jars, and where are the alternate Bookers and Elizabeths in the other timelines (only one (of the Bookers) is accounted for, I think), for example), and I almost feel like I'd have preferred a few details to have been omitted/left to the imagination, if anything. I will go through it again though, just to see things like the Lutece statue transformation, etc, and see how it all holds together when you know what's coming.

It does also feature one of my all-time favourite moments in gaming, too...

When the Songbird drowns. It's a sad, poignant moment, and I was just starting to wonder as he disappeared from view where she'd transported us, and then I moved toward the window and saw Rapture... I think at that point I might've cheered. Or laughed. Or both. Or some combination of the two, perhaps. Then I don't think my mouth closed for about a minute. I was spellbound. Absolutely fucking fantastic. I just wish I hadn't just followed Elizabeth straight into the Bathysphere now...

To summarise, I thought it was brilliant, though it was a kind of slightly flawed brilliance, which in itself almost adds to the charm. Typing this has made me want to play it again asap too, even though I know I should play something else first. Whether I manage to or not, it's a game that'll stick in my mind for ages, has given me some of the best gaming moments I can remember, and sits proudly alongside the original BioShock, Fallout 3, Arkham Asylum et al, as one of my favourites of this or any other generation.

Tl;dr - BioShock Infinite is quite good, and I liked it enough to write a really long post of complete nonsense about it.

EDIT - had a bit of a weird issue with spoiler formatting then, which lead to my deleting the post in double-quick time (to avoid anyone seeing anything), and then a repost complete with some hasty editing. What actually was visible shouldn't have spoilt anything (there was just one word in there which might clue the quick of thinking in), but if anyone did see it, and it did, then I'm genuinely sorry.