Bioshock: Infinite - New E3 Demo - Post #307

The Sarge

So horde mode then. And one story DLC this year.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-30-bioshock-infinite-dlc-will-take-you-back-to-rapture

By Tom Bramwell Published Tuesday, 30 July 2013

The first of BioShock Infinite's three promised instalments of downloadable content is finished and goes on sale today, Irrational Games has revealed.

However, the bigger news is that the second and third DLC packs will form a two-part detective story set in Rapture.

"I know, right?!"

Called Burial at Sea, it will star Booker and Elizabeth as private investigator and femme fatale respectively, and you will get to play as both of them.

The DLC pack released today is called Clash in the Clouds. It's a wave-based arena game that makes the most of Infinite's varied combat system.

It also includes new voxophones, written by creative director Ken Levine, as well as kinetoscopes and other unlockable goodies to keep fans happy.

Clash in the Clouds will cost $5 on Steam, where it should be live at 12pm ET / 5pm BST / 6pm CEST.

Irrational said PlayStation Network and Xbox Live versions will appear as soon as Sony and Microsoft push the button on their weekly updates.

So is Clash of the Clouds any good? You can find out by reading my BioShock Infinite: Clash in the Clouds review. (Spoiler: it's not bad, as stopgaps go.)

As for Burial at Sea Episode One and Two, we don't know exactly when they will be released, but Levine indicated to me that Part One would arrive this year, while Part Two will probably be along a little later.

Burial at Sea is set on New Year's Eve, 1958, the night of the bombing that was the beginning of the end for Rapture. In the first episode you play as Booker, and then in the second episode you play as Elizabeth.

"At the very beginning, you're Booker, private detective in Rapture, in your office and this woman comes in, and you two don't seem to know each other, and we don't explain that," Levine told me.

"We always like to put people in a place where there's a story that ends up making sense, but we don't want the obvious... We like people immediately having a sense of wondering what's going on."

Interestingly, both Clash in the Clouds and Burial at Sea are entirely new content, with Irrational keen to avoid scraping things back up off the cutting room floor.

"We have a bit of a different approach to some people to DLC," Levine explained to journalists who assembled at a Boston hotel for the unveilings.

"When we started this, we really tried to listen to the fans, and to us the fans were clearly saying to us, look, we want the A team on the DLC, we want the same team who did the actual game, we don't want it to be stuff that's on the disc, we don't want it to be stuff that some marketing guy came in and said 'leave that aside'.

"So basically the day we finished - literally, pretty much the day we finished Infinite, we went to work on the DLC, starting pretty much from scratch on the game content."

While Clash in the Clouds is "a sort of a compromise between timeliness and scale", with no huge build-up, Burial at Sea is "a bit of a love letter to the fans", Levine said.

"We're pretty deep into this one - we're about to enter beta. I've been working on this with a lot of the narrative team since we shipped Infinite.

"So it's a two-part experience... The second part has a slight twist to it. You play Booker obviously in the first one, but we were listening to the fans and we know how they feel about Elizabeth, and we decided we wanted to shift things around a little for the third one, so the player character in the third DLC, you get to play Elizabeth, and the gameplay is quite different as her.

"She's not the tank that Booker is, and we'll see how all the story's coming together."

To read more about that, check out my BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea interview with Ken Levine.

I'm a bit disappointed that the first DLC is just the addition of a horde style mode, and that I'll have to wait unti later in the year for the first part of the story DLC, and then NEXT YEAR for the final part.

As much as I loved the game, all my interest and momentum from the game will have totally deteriorated by then, even with the whole 'back to rapture' angle. Wish I hadn't bothered buying the season pass to be honest.

It just means its gona be great. Ive still not played Dishonored, and that's just had DLC a year later, so find another game..play that...then dive back into Infinite when it's ready. Im happy I paid, the team deserve my money, I trust them to make a good bunch of stuff.

To be honest, I’d rather they stayed in Columbia for the DLC. I was sick of Rapture by the time I was three quarters through the original Bioshock, let alone by the end of Bioshock 2; I’d much rather explore more of Columbia, given that the world kept revealing new things right up to the end, rather than being exhausted within the first few hours.

Maybe the Rapture thing will just be the start, and we’ll end up exploring more

of the dystopian alternate 1980s you see at the end of BI. Or even something else entirely new. It was nice to have Rapture pop up in BI, but it seems like a bit of a copout to go back there again. Rapture is played out.

"We don't make DLC like other people"

**adds a horde mode**

"When we started this, we really tried to listen to the fans, and to us the fans were clearly saying to us, look, we want the A team on the DLC, we want the same team who did the actual game, we don't want it to be stuff that's on the disc, we don't want it to be stuff that some marketing guy came in and said 'leave that aside'.

"So basically the day we finished - literally, pretty much the day we finished Infinite, we went to work on the DLC, starting pretty much from scratch on the game content.

Read the important stuff, this is brilliant. Not enough credit to them for this.

That quote is about the Burial at Sea pack.

The point is its proper not on disc DLC by the main team, it doesnt just fall out of the sky (no pun). It takes time. In the meantime, fine, a horde mode.

Bioshock needs the 1 - 0 keys, it's bullshit on a controller. It's a design problem, not a "yay PC" thing. Hoping for some meaty DLC :D

I've only played it on PC but I just brought up the selection wheel when I wanted to choose vigors. I think I'm doing it wrong... :(

It just means its gona be great. Ive still not played Dishonored, and that's just had DLC a year later, so find another game..play that...then dive back into Infinite when it's ready. Im happy I paid, the team deserve my money, I trust them to make a good bunch of stuff.

It's all very well diving back in, but this isn't going to be a full game I'm diving back into, only a piece of DLC- it's going to be more of a 'quick dip' than a full dive, and I'd rather do that whilst I'm still thinking about the original game and it's still at least somewhat fresh in my mind. It's purely a personal thing, and it's nice in a way that they're making the effort to make something distinct, but a. that seems to be at odds with a horde mode, and b. I get the impression they realised they needed to release something sooner rather than later, hence a filler piece of horde mode anyway.

The games combat was its weakest point. An arena mode... sweet! :(

The game played out like an arena mode essentially anyway. Go in to one place, shoot someone, horde descends upon you.

Yeah while I enjoyed the combat I certainly wouldn't crave more. I love the game but I wouldn't want a HL2 arena mode and I absolutely adored that game.

Speaking of which, I love how they are calling this Bioshock Infinite: Episode 1. :lol:

Well, the news of that DLC gave me the spur I needed to get back into Infinite. Have to say, the combat doesn't do a huge amount for me - although it's fine, but just the artistry on display in the game is astonishing. It's by far the most glorious game I've played in years - sure, I'll happily accept it's not pushing as many polygons around as a Crysis 3, but it's just so darn crisp. Also, on a PC, the lighting is just plain wonderful.

Nice to start it again though...looking forward to finishing it this time :)

The problem with Infinite is that you have all these tools at your disposal, but the game isnt designed to make you use them. You can blast through with guns only, if you want.

It doesnt make any sense to say 'but you can mix it up however you want to' when there is no (or hardly any) use for the player to have to use the diverse tools. Its just poor game design.

Dishonored is a better game in every sense; story, exposition, combat.

I would be hard pressed to to say the story or the exposition is better in Dishonoured, in fact it's bloody awful.

In the first 2 minutes a character is killed and one kidnapped, with no precursor, no emotional attachment and therefore no drive to recover them.

And the mute character, but then sometimes with text prompt conversations, sometimes not and voice actors desperately trying to invoke the idea Corvo has said something. It amounts to the worst silent protagonist I have played.

The level design and gameplay is miles better than Infinite, but couldn't disagree more about the story and exposition.

I would be hard pressed to to say the story or the exposition is better in Dishonoured, in fact it's bloody awful.

In the first 2 minutes a character is killed and one kidnapped, with no precursor, no emotional attachment and therefore no drive to recover them.

I think it's pretty clear there's a lot of attachment and history between Corvo, Emily and Jessamine. Emily definitely see's Corvo as a father figure and if you explore all the optional diaries in the game you'll see that it's quite possible Corvo is not only Jessamine's bodyguard but also lover, and the father to Emily. Oh, and then the tiny fact that the heart you carry with you throughout the game is very likely Jessamine's. One thing Dishonored does absolutely brilliantly, is the story. It's just the fact it doesn't ram it down the players throat, it lets them explore the world and discover it for themselves if they desire. It's very much like BioShock 1 and 2 in that respect.

I haven't gone back to this yet (because it's not calling me back) but I think based on what I had played before I stopped that I agree with Matt Lee's (of Videogamer) criticism of it, or at least his noting of what it does wrong.

I think it's pretty clear there's a lot of attachment and history between Corvo, Emily and Jessamine. Emily definitely see's Corvo as a father figure and if you explore all the optional diaries in the game you'll see that it's quite possible Corvo is not only Jessamine's bodyguard but also lover, and the father to Emily. Oh, and then the tiny fact that the heart you carry with you throughout the game is very likely Jessamine's. One thing Dishonored does absolutely brilliantly, is the story. It's just the fact it doesn't ram it down the players throat, it lets them explore the world and discover it for themselves if they desire. It's very much like BioShock 1 and 2 in that respect.

Whoa! What? I totally missed that!

I haven't gone back to this yet (because it's not calling me back) but I think based on what I had played before I stopped that I agree with Matt Lee's (of Videogamer) criticism of it, or at least his noting of what it does wrong.

See I can't really understand this because whatever you feel about the gameplay (I found it a really well realised FPS with some neat twists with the vigors and the sky rails but not in the same league as the best in the genre - or even the likes of Bulletstorm) but the story is so madly compelling and well structured that I can't imagine walking away from it half way through.

Anyway Burial at Sea has me excited - I'm hoping that the 3rd piece explores pre Booker Columbia (and some other characters besides Elizabeth and Booker) but seeing a pre fall Rapture with parallel universe Booker and Elizabeth had me at hello. Shame I'll have to source another copy of the game when it lands...would be nice to have DLC that didn't need the original game at some point...

Having a pretty decent session on Clash in the Clouds tonight, really enjoying it.

The blue ribbon challenges force you to change up your play style, so it's not all shock jockey and shotguns abound. They're pretty tough too, managed to kill a handytwat using just sky line strikes! Go team Jon.

It's pretty addictive and I've only just finished the first of the four maps. By the looks of things there's some really nice unlockable art, kinectoscopes and character concept models too. You can also unlock gramophones that play all the oldie new music in the main campaign. There's a big museum that displays all your stuff once you have the top dollar.

It's well worth the 400 points for anyone in doubt, it opens up the combat system a lot, plenty of skyline tomfoolery and some hand sweatingly tough encounters to clear.

Impressed!