Bioshock: Infinite - New E3 Demo - Post #307

The Sarge

• 1 month later...

Yeah it was definitely my GOTY, I love narrative-driven FPS games and this is a perfect example of one. It looked beautiful and I didn't get bored of the combat but I think that's because it reminded me of older games with a focus on intermittent arenas to defend from waves, rather than constantly pushing ahead. And the story and voice acting are really engaging.

Before this the last game I stayed up all night to complete in one sitting was Half Life 2 :wub:

my only issue i have with Infinite is how they obviously changed how systems worked half way through the development. Liz's dimentional tears of strategically placed "handy" things was really hamfisted. What i would have liked to have seen would be the ability for liz to open tears in the world in combat, and fall through them to avoid things / get out of trouble, maybe putting you into another part of Columbia. it's a shame we never got to experience many (if any at all) of the pocketed alternate dimensions like Paris / the 1980's or something completely random throughout normal play.

the combat didnt need to be anything more than what was in Bioshock2. What would have been super rad, would have been shit like liz opening a tear in an "arena fight section where those handymen were, and you jump in, run infront of a bus in a busy street, and open another tear back to where you were, and the bus coems hurtling through and kills the handyman. proper collisions of worlds rather than the shit we ended up with. They wouldnt have had to been random, but scripted "puzzles" that would play out if you did XYZ

and yet it's still one of the best things i played last year.

also the motherfucking microwave gun from the DLc <3

Oh man I hated that bit. I had no ammo left after the checkpoint for the guns I had, so had to beat those weird puppet men to death with my sky hook.

Apart from the initial encounter, you can sneak past those entirely.

It'd be fascinating to get a book or an in depth look at the development of Bioshock Infinite. Looking at the initial 'gameplay' trailers - even quite late trailers - and what was talked about, and what made it into the final game but didn't lead anywhere (Songbird) it seems that the end result missed out on loads of what was intended. An account of what happened and why decisions were made would be very interesting.

I still think it was a great game, but sometimes a painful experience for the potential missed.

Edit: An example of something that seems to have been a super late change but one which fundamentally effected the experience and even the story - a few months before release they were advertising the 'heavy hitters' - Motorised patriots, Handymen, Boys of Silence (also completely changed clearly very shortly before release) and the 'Siren' - the Siren even had a backstory, an actress I believe.

Except in the actual game the Siren of course had become

Lady Comstock

I've flicked through it in Forbidden Planet, but it seemed to me just some (admittedly interesting) development of art with no significant detail behind it on what the process was or why particular changes were made.

Another example from that book however - it talked about 'the Founders' as a faction of Columbia, the ruling cabal, and there are a few cool pictures of Founders wearing Freemason style costumes. I've also heard Ken Levine talking about the Founders before release, and after release I saw people in reviews etc mentioning 'The Founders' as if they actually feature in the game - but they don't. They never appear or are mentioned beyond some Vox Populi grafitti. As far as the actual game is concerned 'The Founders' don't exist.

I just wanted to make sure you had. I agree with you by the way. I think it was rushed to come out to hit the last significant year of the current consoles. It was brilliant, but it coulda had a lot more content and stuff fleshed out. Thats videogame storytelling though...its always a compromise on any big title just to get it out the door.

Yeah, it's especially weird because the trailer features a Founder character who doesn't appear in the final game, and is far more interesting than anything we got (what was with that weird eye/voice shift?)

Apparently the game got overhauled a year before release in an "oh shit we really need to get this out", the shooting was changed to be more CoD like, the multiplayer was dropped, and Elizabeths combat abilities were removed and the Tears were simplified massively (this is especially noticeable because the "you don't need to protect her" is the only time the game uses a big pop-up UI box).

Oh, another thing I mentioned to Nicky yesterday; I was on a tram thing and Booker says to Elizabeth 'I was sent here to get you to wipe out a debt I have', or words to that effect. She says nothing. Then, not five minutes later, Booker says it again only this time Elizabeth freaks out, smacks you with a wrench and runs off. Then she spends the next hour or so saying how she hates you, can't trust you and that you're just a means to an end. Then she is holding your hand and stroking your face a second later. It's like significant chunks of story were chopped, or something, and it all feels a bit disjointed.

Yeah, there's a few bits like that - in the bit with the workers auction, if you attack someone, the voiceover instantly switches from prerecorded looping messages about working hours to various messages that imply he's holed up in his office and bargaining about better working conditions, which don't really fit what's going on.

It implies there was supposed to be some form of violent protest or workers strike going on involving that character, and they just placed the audio for the cut section there, even though it doesn't fit the bit before or after (where he becomes a voice just ordering people to kill you).

Oh, another thing I mentioned to Nicky yesterday; I was on a tram thing and Booker says to Elizabeth 'I was sent here to get you to wipe out a debt I have', or words to that effect. She says nothing. Then, not five minutes later, Booker says it again only this time Elizabeth freaks out, smacks you with a wrench and runs off. Then she spends the next hour or so saying how she hates you, can't trust you and that you're just a means to an end. Then she is holding your hand and stroking your face a second later. It's like significant chunks of story were chopped, or something, and it all feels a bit disjointed.

Thats him saying it at first like hes rescuing her, then hes kidnapping her. Theyre not the same at all. Also, the wrench is from Bioshock 1.

Thats him saying it at first like hes rescuing her, then hes kidnapping her. Theyre not the same at all. Also, the wrench is from Bioshock 1.

I did it yesterday and he definitely tells her twice - I had the subtitles on so I was able to check what I'd heard. Also, she does hit him with a wrench and knocks him out, leading to the vox grabbing him and making their offer before they lob him out on the docks or whatever it is.

I was just reading back through some of the more recent(ish) posts in the thread and hadn't realied the 5gb size of DLC wasn't for the 360 version. So freed up some space, bought the season pass, played through Burial at Sea part one.

Mixed feelings on it. Enjoyed the combat, story didn't really work for me. And for Bioshock it's the story that's the most interesting thing. The length issue wasn't so bad... took me about three and a half hours but I do tend to do a lot of exploring and digging about. It's not in the same class as something like the Minerva's Den DLC.

Biggest problem with the story was the ending seemed to come out of nowhere. I think that's a length issue really- there wasn't enough time to probably build up a mystery or sense of expectation over what had happened to Booker before.

I mean, it was a surprise ending but in only in the way I thought "Wait, what- we're at the end of the game now..?! Oh..."

Maybe because that final fight with the Big Daddy was too easy. Old Man Winter + Radius gun, backed up with some shotgun blasts. Would have liked a bit more variety in enemies- the guy showing up throwing snowballs was over-used as a special splicer enemy.

I still love the art design and the world they've created, I suppose it felt more like an introduction to a game rather than something that's satisfying on it's own. Still... only part one. I'm looking forward to part two.