rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
FishyFish

Locke & Key Netflix Series.

I've enjoyed the first three episodes, and it seems to be ramping up a bit after moping around in high school drama for a bit too long.

I also decided to read the comics to see what the fuss was about and what I was missing. A dozen issues in and the answer is not much, it's decent enough and certainly enjoyable but nothing amazing, same as you could say about the TV series. 

The head key bit is certainly better done in the comic, but that's arguably near unfilmable. The ghost however was pretty crap, not sure why they opted for what they did rather than just do what the comic did there.

But then, the dodge stuff I'm finding pretty moronic, certainly in the way he just turned up and it's all instant best buds for no reason. And while the comic has been a bit more visceral at times, it's not dependent on it.

I'll be happy to keep watching, and reading :)

• Upvote 1

I’m 20 mins into ep1 and the background music is incredibly similar to the Simpson’s theme tune

Finished this.

Spoiler

Enjoyed it throughout, earlier elements came back in a way that was interesting. Unfortunately, the final episode felt anti climatic and had no real closure at all.

Especially as I guessed 

Spoiler

one of the three twists it revealed. However the final twist

Spoiler

being that there are now 2 demons was a bit shitly handled and the fact that Dodge's plan was somewhat convoluted was both strange and now makes sense as I write about it.

Want season 2 

• Upvote 2

I'm just over half way through. I was very disappointed to begin with, it really misses the horror and bleakness of the comics.

But I realised that they've sort of Disney-fied it, what with the teenage school drama, characters doing dumb things that make little sense and the jolly spooky music constantly playing in the background.

Now I've lowered my expectations I'm enjoying it for what it is.

Finished last night (after realising the last episode wasn't 7!). It's ok I guess but has some classic "characters act stupidly to serve the plot" type contrivances. It was interesting enough to spur me into reading the vastly superior comic so I'll give it that.

I loved the comic and thought this was pretty good. Nothing's really going to live up to the comic if that's what you're expecting but by Netflix standards this was a pretty good Stranger Things-syle urban horror/fantasy thing. 

For those asking how different it is - it seems to cover most of the same events as the comic but in a vastly different order (one major plot twist at the end, that isn't in the comic, being a notable exception). Its more faithful than a lot of other recent adaptions like Preacher and The Boys that are basically the same characters in totally different situations. 

Started it thinking it was going to be really awful (hadn't heard of the comics).. and.. it's not actually that awful. I quite like the mystery elements, and I do feel there's a cool underlying foundation to the whole thing. It's not first class TV and although it was an interesting and brave experiment to not use actors to play the majority of your characters.. I'm sort of quite enjoying it? I think?

40 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

I have only watched the first episode but it's giving me Eerie Indiana vibes so far. Think I will watch on to see where it goes. 

Eerie Indiana is miles better than this.

• Upvote 1

So, I owe this (and its fans) an apology. Really didn’t like Ep 1, and said so. But I stuck with it and it improved a LOT. Ended a little weakly, perhaps, but it turned into an enjoyable ride, and I would happily watch a second series.

• Upvote 3

I really tried to give it a chance but it was pretty weak in my mind.

So many plot holes, characters doing stupid things and just stuff that didn't make sense. And the 'reveal' that was done one or two episodes before the end was very flat, because they only introduced that element 5 minutes before the reveal.

The final 5 minutes 'and this is how it actually happened...' montage was particularly groansome.

• Upvote 2

I thought this was a great watch! Kinda like a Harry Potter lite. No intention of reading these comics but will gladly catch season 2! 

• Upvote 2

Fan of the comic, I found my gf started watching this so I tagged along. I quite enjoyed it for the first few episodes and then just kept watching out of curiosity, minus the one or two decent episodes it gets worse and worse. Really misses the edge of the comic and changes far too much. Some really strange choices too, like for the Bode ghost they fully rebuild him in full CG detail and it looks awful. All they had to do is have a ghostly silhouette.