Gaming pet hates

Sigourney Beaver

Linking in with something someone mentioned before – a designer implementing a great idea then other designers either ignoring it or constantly trying to reinvent the wheel – I want guidelines in all exploration games, as seen in Shadow Complex and Dead Space.

I’m not saying they should be nerfed, but scoring around for the correct direction, path, exit or whatever stops being fun after a while and simply becomes first tedious, then teeth-grindingly frustrating. I’m stuck in the supposedly ‘easy’ Metroid Other M because I can’t find the correct hidden egress, and I don’t care whether other gamers or the designers think I’m thick, I just want a line pointing in the right direction along the floor when I get totally lost.

Make it toggle-able in the menu, limit it to 3 uses per level, take it out of ‘normal’ difficulty and have it only in ‘easy’… whatever, just have it as an option somewhere, for those of us a bit challenged in the spacial awareness area.

I'll drink to that.

For me, the tracking felt like an enhancement in Dead Space for the 'survival horror' type game. Nothing worse than gearing up for "bad things to happen" when you walk down a corridor only to find yourself walking for ages with nothing happening and ending up back at the start of the level/room you've just been in and then having to walk back.

The only thing is Dead Space managed to integrate it nicely into the game where as other games it might seem out of place (alhough at least a little arrow in the air ala Dead Rising helps).

^That used to be far more annoying when the PS3 would automatically go to your games list from startup. You daren't leave the room after turning it on, lest the room be filled with "bud-dum-dum-clash-- YEAAAHHH!!!" (Rock Band 2 left in the disc drive) over and over again at a million decibels.

Now it goes to the "what's new" section, and we're spared the terror. Never have I been gladder to be presented with unprompted adverts!

Yeah, I ... sort of ... turned off the 'what's new' because I didn't like having to scroll forever to get to PlayTV. And I've never been able to find the option again to turn it back on.

Ledges.

1.) When controlling a character near a ledge, you suffer a 'thumbstick twitch' and the character plummets off the side. I wouldn't just walk off a ledge to my doom in real life, so I don't expect my character to either. Although this isn't so bad if there's a facility to save yourself a lá Batman: AA, or if the character has the ability to automatically grab the side of the ledge if he falls.

2.) As witnessed in a recent video for Spider-Man: SD. Spidey is stood as if both feet are planted firmly on the ground, but has a foot hanging out over a ledge in thin air. Obviously Spider-Man could get away with this as he's, well, Spider-Man, but that's not the effect the programmers were trying to achieve. It's 2010, it's about time ridiculous crap like this was eliminated.

Stupid little victory poses after *every battle* in turn-based RPGs. Isn't it enough that I'll be spending 40/50/60+ hours on your game, without adding another 5 just wasted watching your stupid unskippable little end--of-fight animation then results screen?

Ledges.

1.) When controlling a character near a ledge, you suffer a 'thumbstick twitch' and the character plummets off the side. I wouldn't just walk off a ledge to my doom in real life, so I don't expect my character to either. Although this isn't so bad if there's a facility to save yourself a lá Batman: AA, or if the character has the ability to automatically grab the side of the ledge if he falls.

I hate to break it to you, but if you were walking on a ledge and you suddenly suffered a massive involuntary loss of control of your limbs like a mad old drunk you probably would fall to your death.

I don't really agree with some peoples opinions on game lengths. It's possible to make a long game that doesn't get old, just look at RE4 or SMG (the first 120 stars). I liked Uncharted but it's not true when people say, "It's 6 hours long but that's completely fine since another second would've diluted the experience."

Following on from the above paragraph, it annnoys me whenever developers mention the gen after this one. There were more good games last gen. Where is this gen's GTA3 or DMC? Yeah there are equivalents but what has shaken the place up like those games? I feel like the big 3 companies only deserve to make us buy new expensive consoles once there are more good games.

The above two aren't really hates, just differences of opinion. The whole "non-linear games are better" thing is what's really annoying me. I swear, it's Americans who are obsessed by it. Or maybe just gamefaqs. Not every game needs a damn openworld. Especially not Burnout.

I don't really agree with some peoples opinions on game lengths. It's possible to make a long game that doesn't get old, just look at RE4 or SMG (the first 120 stars). I liked Uncharted but it's not true when people say, "It's 6 hours long but that's completely fine since another second would've diluted the experience."

It's true that you can have a long game that doesn't get old, and Resident Evil 4 is a perfect example of that.

It doesn't follow, however, that every game should be that long, or that any game that isn't that long is therefore somehow inferior. What makes a game too short is a lack of satisfaction, not an arbitrary completion time.

NPCS in RPGs that just stand around forever waiting for you to return.

Sandbox games that wont let you complete a mission in a logical way. ie ok I know where that train is going I'll go straight there.

Collision that doesn't fit the visible mesh, and invisible barriers in general.

Bad AI.

The dumbing down of games to the point where you can't actually ever fail.

Huge tutorial missions that you can't skip second playthrough. Yes I know I grow up and learn the skills that shape my character as I go along.....

Non platform games that put platform game play mechanics in.