Amnesia: Dark Descent (OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL IS THAT)

Roll on tomorrow, when the wife is out of the house and I can experience this in the dark with the speakers up!! Right? :mellow:

At night, in the dark and with headphones is how you play it!

At night, with my headphones on, with a lamp on in the corner (because otherwise I might strain my eyes. Yup, thats the reason). Had a bit of a gamma issue with the TV in the archives, causing me to run out of lamp oil. But during the second part of that section I had my heart in my mouth and was hovering off my chair. Quite amazing. Got through the the back hall, and I've left it there for a bit because it seems nice and gentle enough there.

Ok, well I managed to put about 4 hours into this, this evening.

To be honest I'm a bit underwhelmed. This thread made it sound like it was a terrifying game that constantly kept you on edge. So far I've basically seen a few enemies that disappear once I go round the corner, then when I got to Storage there was one guy that could hurt me if I moved around too much but generally as long as I crouched down and looked at a wall he passed me by. I'm supposed to be looking for elevator parts at the moment but I'm struggling to keep interested. Are there more enemies and different scenery other than castle walls?

Ok, well I managed to put about 4 hours into this, this evening.

To be honest I'm a bit underwhelmed. This thread made it sound like it was a terrifying game that constantly kept you on edge. So far I've basically seen a few enemies that disappear once I go round the corner, then when I got to Storage there was one guy that could hurt me if I moved around too much but generally as long as I crouched down and looked at a wall he passed me by. I'm supposed to be looking for elevator parts at the moment but I'm struggling to keep interested. Are there more enemies and different scenery other than castle walls?

Cannot possibly be playing it in the right conditions.

• 2 years later...

Dark Descent isn't really that old, and sort of set the bar for first person survival horror at the time, so I'd say it definitely holds up today. I can't speak for the PS4 version specifically, it is a fairly visually impressive affair, but the sound production is top-notch, with some of the best use of surround sound in a game, ever. One best enjoyed in the dark, with headphones on.

Justine was a small extra episode set in the same world. AMfP I was less impressed with (didn't like the purple prose), but is comparable in length to DD. Worth a play if you liked the first Amnesia, but doesn't reach the same heights of emotional tension.

23 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

I loved Soma and Outlast, and this seems to fall into the same genre of story-heavy running away from horrible things game, so I am very interested in getting them for PS4.

Have they aged well?

Very story-heavy and I very much enjoyed how it was fed to you. As for the running-away, yes there is some of that but when you run away you intend you hide sooner rather than later. Just like SOMA really.

Amnesia on ps4? Holy mackeral!  Incredible game, completed it else I would be all over it. As it is, will wait for a sale to play Machine for Pigs.

MUST purchase this title, for anyone who wants a true horror game, this is the daddy.

• 1 month later...

Well boys, it took me six years, but I finally finished it. Half a bottle of single malt, an 80s megamix playlist, a well lit room, a few friends on Discord and a very closely followed walkthrough might have been necessary. By my God, I finally did it.

QmFdwji.jpg

Hmm, finished a machine for pigs today. Bit shit isn't it. I can see what they were going for but the combination of wacky drops from 144fps to about 20 every time the environment changed somehow (enemy spawn, gust of wind, door unlocks etc) coupled with the enemies being laughable made it quite disappointing. No inventory, no reason to rifle through the environment, annoying overblown music etc. We already know the Amnesia experience can be condensed because plenty of custom stories have done it, including Justine. Having played and not really warmed to everybody's gone to the rapture a few days ago, I think I'll be avoiding future output from the chinese room except where glowing reviews advise otherwise.

Also WATCH OUT

south-park-s10e06c02-awareness-of-manbea

• 3 years later...

I started this years ago but didn't make it very far before ditching it for something less stressful. I'm playing it again now seeing as it's the season and all, and weirdly I've found the early hours much less terrifying. Tense as hell mind, but I'm haven't been panicking at least.

Then I reached the flooded bit, and had to turn it off. :ph34r: