Depeche Mode.

max renn

I'm an old cunt.....38 years to be precise.

This puts me in the unenviable position of being a fan of the 'old' Mode.

When I was a kid (before I discovered Celtic Frost and Carpathian Forest )...I loved Depeche Mode.

The last album I bought was in 1987 so it's more than likely I maybe be considered out of touch!

However listening to them again lately, it seems to me that the darker stuff is just so...bleak and befitting of the time. (Even though it's 20-odd years since I heard a new tune) It has such a great flavour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x1oNU4PKn0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDqhTUgtRs0

Any other appreciators?

Any recommendations?

Wow I really like that B-side!

What Album is it?

Cheers for the recommendations :)

It's from the Walking in My Shoes single, from the Songs of Faith and Devotion album.

One Caress from the I Feel You single, is another excellent b-side.

Nearly all of their singles and albums are on Spotify BTW.

The last album I bought was in 1987 so it's more than likely I maybe be considered out of touch!

Any other appreciators?

Any recommendations?

If the last album by DM you bought was in 1987 then you missed their best album by a long shot - Violator

Also the follow up, Songs of Faith and Devotion is a wonderful piece of work, even if it is "rockier" than their usual synth based stuff.

For me, these 2 (along with the previous 2, Black Celebration and Music for the Masses) make up the best of their back catalogue.

Also, the lead singles from the last 2 albums have been very good. The albums are a little patchy though.

Precious (Great song, crap video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts2DXY0zfLs&ob=av2e

Wrong (Great song, great video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bsXOcK9_Cw&ob=av2e

cubik

• 2 years later...

I love DM, have done since school but I've found the last few albums have been a bit.....meh. I described them as patchy in the post I made in 2010 in this very thread and I very rarely listen to them even though the earlier stuff (SOFAD, Violator, MFTM and Black Celebration in particular).

The thing that gets me about the later albums, particularly the last 2 (Sounds of the Universe and Playing the Angel) is the distorted sounds they use, especially for basslines. They just sound so "grungy" (not in a check shirted rockers kind of way) and samey throughout the albums. I find them monotonous.

In the days of Alan Wilder, they had some killer sounds and basslines in particular that varied from crisp and clean to dark and sinister and the albums worked as a whole but each track had an identity, whereas the stuff from the last 2 albums just almost blends into one.

The new song on the tumblr linked above is another example, it could easily have been lifted from Sounds of the Universe, and I really hope it's a B-side. The distorted/clipped sounds just make it murky, and Dave's lyrics (I assume he wrote them) are pretty poor. I'm not happy to be writing this, as a new DM release used to be an event in my life that I looked forward to, but this just reminds me of a poor mans version of House of the Rising Sun.

Fingers crossed that the good tracks are still being polished and will be on the album and this is a throwaway taster.

I've got nothing against the new material. It's not like, a favourite or anything. And I agree it's more of a B side standard. But it's not bad.

I do have a feeling it's a Dave track. It sounds like him trying to do Martin's lyrics, you know what I mean? And that's how b-side quality songs end up on albums. See the last album: Ghost, Light, Sun/Moon/Stars - all great songs that should've been on the album. Unlike, say, Hole To Feed.

On the other the hand, I think recent DM (Playing the Angel and SOTU) are both great. So I'm looking forward to the new album, whether it sounds like this sample or not.

Got some tickets too. Hurrah!

Inspired partly by this thread (and the general DM hype going on at the moment), I'm listening to nothing but DM today.

Just reaching the end of Black Celebration. It is still by far my favourite, I think.

In fact, that's what I love about the band so much. There's something for every mood. I'm inviting hate from moaners, but - for example - Exciter is a great way to listen to DM in the summer. Ultra, on the other hand, feels a bit out of place in the sun.

Am I over-thinking how I listen to music?

Also, given that it seems absent above in the b-sides videos, this:

The lyrics are a little on-the-nose, but by God it's a motherfucker of an album-closer.

Fuck's sake why won't my YouTube vids auto-embed?

Clean. My all time favourite track by DM by a long shot.

The bassline is dark and moody but clean (no pun intended).. No distortion or crackly feedback or clipping like the newer tracks, just pure synth goodness.

edit - And I agree that Dangerous is a bloody brilliant b-side, as are My Joy, Surrender, Newborn, Death's Door and Shout.

i love me some mode, my fave band of all time and horribly under appreciated in this country. they've been a constant listen to me since my teens and I never go very long without listening to something by them, their body of work is just stunning.

i thought the last album had some great moments, in chains, wrong, ghost and corrupt were up with their best stuff

new song sounds like its got too many words in places, where do I sign up for the 3 cd ltd box edition for too many £

• 2 months later...

I'm rarely a fan of the DM remixes, only one I've ever thought stood up to comparison with the original track is the Goldfrapp remix of Halo, its beautiful.

What I do like is when they play songs acoustic or just in the studio 'live', bonus track on last album was Stories of Old redone which was fantastic.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh yeah, on that versions front - deluxe edition - 2 discs, and a book. First disc is the album. Second has four extra tracks, and that's it.

So I'm a bit uncertain. The SOTU set was epic and I'm sure it sold enough - I guess most Depeche fans, like me, like all that stuff!

And it just seems odd to do a 4-track bonus CD. Also, no mention of a DVD (although they've definitely been filming material for a DVD while recording, some more in-studio sessions). And with no DVD, that means no 5.1 mix.

Odd.

I've just heard the new single on 6 music and my review is...........

I'm not feeling it. It's got that distorted muddy sounding backing track feel that almost everything off the last 2 albums have had,

The vocals are clear as day and quite good, but the music just doesn't seem like DM anymore. It could be any number of anonymous bands trying to sound a bit moody.

I loved DM because they were primarily an electronic band and they made a successful and great move into the rockier side of things with Songs of Faith and Devotion. Ultra was a good follow up too but since then it's been diminishing returns.

Hopefully it's a grower but I'm not expecting miracles from the album. Shame really as I've always loved them. I'm listening to the classic It's No Good now to cheer me up!

I think I feel the same way, but maybe less so.

It's fine, it's okay, but it doesn't sound particularly Depeche Mode other than the vocals (ie. I can hear that it's Dave and Martin).

But, equally, I loved Playing the Angel and SOTU overall, and some tracks on SOTU in particular are weaker than this.

So I reserve judgement on the album and remain very excited!