Depeche Mode.

max renn

I've listened twice, second time round I enjoyed it more, particularly Dave's vocals which are surprisingly strong. The backing track still sounds wrong to me, I can't let go of the past and miss the days of clean and different sounding synth sounds. It's my age I think.

Fingers crossed for the album, I really hope it has some variety.

I agree with the Wrong comment above, was a cracking first single and better than pretty much everything else on the album.

I can't talk about mode without listening, already stuck Wrong and the epic Its No Good on

They do choose odd lead off's sometimes, think Dream On was the single from Exciter, remember them standing in the studio for some sat morning ITV program with a load of kids standing round looking bored.

I can't talk about mode without listening, already stuck Wrong and the epic Its No Good on

They do choose odd lead off's sometimes, think Dream On was the single from Exciter, remember them standing in the studio for some sat morning ITV program with a load of kids standing round looking bored.

That was CD:UK I think, I seem to remember Ant & Dec introducing it with some piss take comment about DM sounding like, well, DM.

Third listen now and it's sinking in and growing on me. It's a powerful song, but definitely not an instant one with a catchy hook. I certainly wouldn't have chosen a track like this as the first one from a new album from a band that's been away for a few years. Brave move.

It won't get many new fans but if there's any justice in the world it'll get more airplay than the really dull new Bowie song. Knowing the radio in the UK it won't, so it'll probably be number 27 and then drop out of the charts.

Singles are irrelevent to Mode now, they dont attract new fans and probably know pretty well how many albums they will sell in each country

Cant think of a band with a more misunderstood reputation in this country, still i wouldn't like them if they were more popular like U2 or Coldplay

Here's the B-side

I like them both just fine but nothing blowing me away with either. Although as has been said 'wrong' was just immense and SOTU turned out pretty meh so who knows.

I still get excited about new DM material but we only generally end up with half a decent album. The years 1987 to 1994 were some of the best of my life thanks to this band and ridiculous to think they'll ever scale those heights for me again. Still a great band though and there's always some real gems on the new albums.

I really really like the single, its such a grower on me, listening again just now and I love the chord progressions in the verse and general down demeanour of it.

Newer albums have been patchy but I'd rather they were still going and releasing half a great album every now and then that what looked like happening a few years ago when Dave Gahan was in full on tattoos & drugs hell and nearly croaked.

Don't think you'll ever get the feeling back of being young and what music meant in your teens or 20s, its just not as important as you get on a bit I find. I don't expect these releases to matter to me as much as Black Celebration, MftM or even Violator.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That track has been on the DM website since October. They used it as a soundbed to a montage video to coincide with the tour announcement.

Compared to the anticipation I felt over Playing the Angel coming out and then less so with SOTU, the stuff I've heard form Delta Machine is leaving me well and truly unexcited.

So they played a live set last night which included some new material.

Dave's vocals were a bit off in places, but you should expect that by now.

(Only got the mobile link to hand:)

http://m.soundcloud.com/ultra_depeche/sets/depeche-mode-live-on-letterman?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter&utm_content=https://soundcloud.com/ultra_depeche/sets/depeche-mode-live-on-letterman

New single was premiered this morning, it's not bad, but still has the "crunchy" sound of the last 2 albums. A more instant track than Heaven though which was a grower.

Looking forward to the album with a small amount of trepidation now and avoiding the Letterman concert as I don't want to hear any new material in live format as Dave's voice has struggled with live performances for years and I'd rather hear the album versions first.

Apparently this has leaked although I think I'll just hang on for a week. I've got the deluxe CD ordered and it always feels like a massive let down when it arrives if I've already been listening to it for a week.

I did cave and give this a very quick listen though. I'm actually pretty hyped for this now based on some of these snippets. I can certainly hear the Violator and SOFAD throwback they've been touting. Certainly a lot more than than when they said exactly the same thing for the last 2 albums. :rolleyes:

I'm on full blackout now though and obviously don't listen to the below if you want to go in cold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvBf771nvCs

I'm not listening to the leaks at all. Been looking forward to it for too long to spoil the old school feeling of listening to it at home via physical media...

I even heard both singles from this (Heaven and Soothe My Soul) unexpectedly via the radio without downloading them first. It's been a while since that happened, especially with the lack of airplay DM get in the UK.

Deluxe version is on order, fingers crossed it's a good un.

I couldn't wait for next week, not going to rush to an opinion but this really needs to be played on some good hifi - the sounds are incredible - love the opening track Welcome To My World.

On first listen Welcome to my World, Slow, Should Be Higher, Child Inside, Soothe My Soul and Goodbye have caught my attention

Yeah, I caved about 10 seconds after posting. :facepalm:

Can't believe I'm putting spoilers in a music thread but these are for Cubik as appreciate he's on a blackout

Listened to it a few times now and despite having a fair few absolute belters, like the previosu two albums, it still feels a bit bloated with a few missed opportunities and missteps.

The opener 'Welcome to my World' is easily the best track they've done with Hillier though (except may Wrong), vintage Depeche with a huge towering chorus. Is this a Dave-penned track? I was a big fan of the Soulsavers album he did and this has a similar feel. Should Be Higher is also a fantastic track. Soft Touch/Raw Nerve feels like the track they didn't know what to do with and Secret to the End is great until they decided to add in an awful call and response section, it's all a bit WTF..

I suspect what will happen with this is what happened with SOTU and I'll create a cut down and reordered version for my ipod chopping out a few tracks and adding in a couple of the extra tracks. SOTU had a great album hidden away but it was all in the wrong order and didn't flow and then they left off 3 of the best tracks and stuck them on the bonus limited CD whilst including toss like Fragile Tension.

Count me as a massive Mode fan. SOTU is one of my top 5 albums of the last few years. Picked up a 3 disc remix album last week which has some great mixes.

Being trying to track down a mix of Nothing for years which my mate had on viynl.

Having listened to delta machine all week I have rate it as my favourite since songs of faith and devotion. Just loads of great songs on there and the whole thing just sits together really well (ie I've not felt compelled to skip at all!).

Great album.

Ps, that letterman set was amazing :)

I'm loving it too, a very consistent set with some of the songs somehow harking back to oddities on older albums, like Construction Time again, not too many skippers for me. I love the obligatory Martin ballad too, which is really quite creepy and off kilter.

I can't wait to get the proper cd's and put them in my proper stereo at home, which will bring the best out of all the lovely boops and beeps going on in the background.

Count me as a massive Mode fan. SOTU is one of my top 5 albums of the last few years. Picked up a 3 disc remix album last week which has some great mixes.

Being trying to track down a mix of Nothing for years which my mate had on viynl.

Which version? I've got:

Nothing (Headcleaner rock mix) - From Remixes 81-04

Nothing (Justin Strauss mix) - From remixes 81-04

Nothing (Zip hop mix) - From the Strangelove US single/Everything counts live UK single

Nothing (Dub) - From the Strangelove US single

Nothing (Remix edit) - From the Strangelove US singe/Everything counts live UK single

I'd guess on it being the zip hop mix you're looking for.