IGNORED

Depeche Mode.

max renn

Listening to the album now, initial impressions aren't amazing, but Heaven did grow on me so a few listens are needed before I come to a conclusion...

Thoughts so far...

Welcome to my world - Bit dull

Angel - House of the rising sun

Heaven - Quite like it now, didn't at first.

Secret to the end - A bit "simple"? Chorus is like a playground chant

My little universe - Blues guitar seems out of place

Slow - Slloooooooooooooooowwwww...

Broken - Not bad

The child inside - Not bad Martin track. What's with the weird "wheeeesh" sound every so often though?

This is as far as I've got, I can't help think that there's some cracking songs just waiting to be released with a bit of non-Hillier polish...

The main thing with his production style is the tendency to have whizzy noises every so often, for no apparent reason. It's a bit like someone who has got their first copy of Photoshop and enhances all their photos by putting unnecessary lens flare on them.

EDIT - Soft touch, Raw Nerve.. Now that's more like it - Excellent!

Bump.

After having the album for nearly a week all I can say is.......

It's a damn sight better than the last 2. It could never live up Violator or Songs of quality as that's a tricky thing to do to but there's some bloody good songs on there. The only thing that confuses me is why some of the extras on the second cd are better than the album tracks..

• 2 months later...

I'd been a fan since about '86 but seeing that film was the start of a serious obsession for about 6 years. Met loads of great people over that period due to DM, not least of whom is now my wife and mother of my 2 kids. Fuck me, 25 years!!!

Some great stuff on that vid, love a young Anton Corbijn just milling around in the background and also at 6.15, Duke Nukem!

• 2 years later...

not quite a new mode album but Dave Gahan & Soulsearchers just released a new album, Angels & Ghosts. Its available for streaming with an apple music sub, don't know about spotify or others.

there were a couple of cracking moody tracks on their last collaboration and I'm already enjoying a a couple of songs on first listen on this one (tracks 2&3 in particular so far)

edit

track 3 Tempted is the one, its one of those beautiful moody ballads that builds up and suits his voice perfectly, got it on repeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHtKIxLfEYY

It's on Spotify, I listened to it last night. First impressions were that I thought it was all a bit "flat" but I'll give it a good few goes before coming to a proper opinion.

In related DM news, the MG EP that came out a week or two ago is pretty good.

Second listen and it's all a bit samey. I think if I put this and the previous album on shuffle I'd be hard pressed to pick out which song came from which one.

It's definitely moody, and Dave's vocals are on fine form, but the production didn't do much for me. Admittedly, it's been at background music volume - I'm one to persevere so I'll give it another go on headphones at some point.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to Twitter the producer isn't Hillier so fingers crossed we may get an album that doesn't sound like the last three did.

There's some highlights on the Hillier stuff, but I'd prefer them to get a bit more electronic and a bit less distorted.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The commentary tracklisting on that forum omits a hell of a lot of stuff. All I really need is a Blu-ray pack of 81-98, combined with Strange, Strange Too, singles like See You and oddities like the "official" Condemnation video Corbijn seems to be embarrassed about, EPKs, etc. Bit of a waste of time if this isn't that comprehensive, commentary tracks be damned.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mr Cochese said:

Maybe they're going to unveil Dave Gahan's new beard.

Or another tattoo...

Thankfully it won't be another album produced by Ben "make it sound murky" Hillier.

I hope the new producer (James Ford) gets them back to a cleaner less distorted or crunchy sound, with a bit more variety.

It's probably going to be another album, announced months before release with a half arsed attempt at building up some hype over the coming weeks. Don't they know that the cool kids these day announce albums the day before they come out?

I write this as a massive DM fan but I can't get overly excited about these things anymore. Saying that, I'll be day one purchasing it, along with the singles.

On 03/10/2016 at 17:45, cubik said:

Thankfully it won't be another album produced by Ben "make it sound murky" Hillier.

I hope the new producer (James Ford) gets them back to a cleaner less distorted or crunchy sound, with a bit more variety.

I quite liked the murk, actually. But agree it's time for a change.

In case anyone's not looped in, live stream of the announcement at 12pm today on http://www.depechemode.com

Christian Eigner and Peter Gordeno are both there, so the buzz going around is that it'll involve a live performance of some sort. I'd be hype if it wasn't for the inevitably overlong wait before the actual album.

First the positive:

WOOHOO! NEW DM!!

Now the negative:

Same old 6 months prior to release announcement.

Snippets of songs sounded a bit meh.

Anton's artwork (I assume) for the new logo is shockingly unimaginative, and his work (for DM, not in general) has been on a similar downward course to DM's output over the last few albums.

I guess the tour will be stupidly expensive.

I suppose I can't expect them to be the band they were when I was a teenager, I'm no spring chicken either.

As @StephenM pointed out, I wish they'd mixed it up a bit and announced a finished song ready to buy today, or played live or had a big group hug with Alan or something.

Now some more positive to balance out the negative:

WOOHOO! NEW DM!!! They're still going after all these years and everything they've been through.

I'll have to be patient for Spring to come. Hurry up!

37 minutes ago, cubik said:

...or had a big group hug with Alan or something.

Haha did you (or anyone) actually watch the thing in full? A journo asked the Alan question and it was the most awkward thing I've seen in a while.

It was all hugely anticlimactic and I think DM remain one of very few bands who would feel the need to call a press conference just to say "We're going on tour, but can't tell you anything about it, or about the album it is around.'

My point is that they could tell me the London date by painting it on my walls in faeces and I would still be rushing to buy a ticket as soon as they go on sale. Doesn't seem like a 'special event' is really warranted. 

26 minutes ago, StephenM said:

Haha did you (or anyone) actually watch the thing in full? A journo asked the Alan question and it was the most awkward thing I've seen in a while.

It was all hugely anticlimactic and I think DM remain one of very few bands who would feel the need to call a press conference just to say "We're going on tour, but can't tell you anything about it, or about the album it is around.'

My point is that they could tell me the London date by painting it on my walls in faeces and I would still be rushing to buy a ticket as soon as they go on sale. Doesn't seem like a 'special event' is really warranted. 

Or the Italian women who sounded like Bjork, asking Dave to do his famous dance moves :facepalm: