Depeche Mode.

max renn

Fucking hell, genuinely shocked and upset.

Edit - Had to add more to this after my initial short post.

I saw that the thread had been bumped and opened it in anticipation, genuinely hopeful that something new had been announced, only to see this terrible news.

I've been critical of DM's output over the last few albums but they'll always be my favourite band and have a very special place in my heart.

They absolutely defined my later school years and all the way through college, moving out and buying a home, marriage and kids. My first trip to London (other than school trips) was to see them at Crystal Palace for the Devotional tour.

My wife was heavily pregnant when we went to see them during the singles tour so even my eldest daughter was indoctrinated in the ways of DM since a very early age.

The running joke of Fletch standing at the back pressing a key or two ran on for years but he was part of the glue that held them together and ultimately played a large part in the band that released the best album of all time (violator if you haven't guessed).

RIP Fletch and thanks for all the joy you've brought to my life. Violator is currently playing loud and I'll have a beer in your honour.

Gutted. Bothered Fletch (and Daniel Miller) at a Fad Gadget gig once and he was gracious enough to put up with my drunken gushing.

Despite Dave's near misses over the years I've never really thought about them dying. We're getting old. :(

Very sad news, whilst he may never have been the creative force behind the band in any of their stages he did undoubtedly seem to be what help keep them going or bringing them back together.

In reading one of the obits they mentioned how he had suffered from depression and a breakdown after a string of bad investments quite some time back - I know they're all minted but it does seem that being in the band has not only given them a huge amount but exerted a toll on them all too.

18 minutes ago, StephenM said:

:( 

Just in case anyone hasn't seen it, this was a great little article -- https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/andy-fletcher-depeche-mode-tribute-1359330/

It just articulates really well why someone like Fletch, keyboard plugged in or not, was instrumental.

That really is lovely write-up. 

Watched some vintage DM on YouTube last night and really struck me just how long the band have known each other. That Basildon scene in the late 70s/80s with Vince Clarke, Alison Moyet and Martin and Fletch served up so much great music for me.

I've been kind of OK with the idea of DM never doing anything again for some time now but not like this. This is gonna hurt for a while.

Good write up that really brings home certain things about their longevity, over 40y as a band together & longer now without Alan Wilder than with him.

Think I've said it in this thread before but from where things were at the peak of Gahan's addictions I'm amazed they are still going in any shape or form now and take any good new material as bonus stuff.

Don't know how hard Fletcher passing will hit the remaining 2 founder members, possible more than people will expect if he was the more 'functional' member of the band keeping things together and moving along.

It will hit Martin really hard. Regardless of his musical input, Fletch was Martin's rock and doing anything as DM again now? I just don't see it happening. I get the feeling Dave has been on the cusp of calling it a day for many years now, this may just be an obvious end for them both.

I haven’t really followed them much since Ultra, but the run of albums from ‘Some Great Reward’ to ‘Songs of Faith & Devotion’ was stellar. Andy was the glue which held Dave and Martin together as far as I can tell. Don’t think him and Alan Wilder got on that well.

Weird to think of DM continuing as a duo, albeit with a team of supporting musicians. Seems like an appropriate time to bring the band to a close, although the thought of never seeing them live again is sad.

• 1 month later...

Fletch's cause of death has been announced.

In a statement on social media, the band said: “A couple weeks ago we received the result from the medical examiners, which Andy’s family asked us to share with you now. Andy suffered an aortic dissection while at home on 26 May. So, even though it was far, far too soon, he passed naturally and without prolonged suffering.”

• 1 month later...

I’m surprised it’s so soon, but I suppose it is quite a while since the last album so may have been planned ages ago. 

I wonder who the producer will be? They seem to be the most important person in how DM sound these days, hopefully it’ll be someone who’ll turn down the channel that has Christian Eigner’s “pots and pans” style drumming on it. 

43 minutes ago, cubik said:

I’m surprised it’s so soon, but I suppose it is quite a while since the last album so may have been planned ages ago. 

I wonder who the producer will be? They seem to be the most important person in how DM sound these days, hopefully it’ll be someone who’ll turn down the channel that has Christian Eigner’s “pots and pans” style drumming on it. 

#BRINGBACKALAN :D

3 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

#BRINGBACKALAN :D

I resisted the temptation to mention Alan as I've finally accepted that it's not going to happen.

Getting Flood back would be nice. Hopefully it's not Ben Hillier.

22 minutes ago, cubik said:

I resisted the temptation to mention Alan as I've finally accepted that it's not going to happen.

Getting Flood back would be nice. Hopefully it's not Ben Hillier.

Yeah, I know. Alan coming back is as likely as Half-Life 3 being released.

1 hour ago, cubik said:

You don’t really hear him on the studio stuff though do you? He’s only there to ruin the songs when they play live. Never mind bring back Alan, bring back the tape machine for gigs. 

I’d like to see someone with a warmer electronic sound come on board to produce, definitely somebody less rawk!! Someone like Royksopp or Apparat. 

12 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

You don’t really hear him on the studio stuff though do you? He’s only there to ruin the songs when they play live. Never mind bring back Alan, bring back the tape machine for gigs. 

I’d like to see someone with a warmer electronic sound come on board to produce, definitely somebody less rawk!! Someone like Royksopp or Apparat. 

Pye Corner Audio gets my vote.

I'd be happy with Tim Simenon again. Ultra doesn't get the love it deserves as it gets lost in comparison to the golden period of Black Celebration to SOFAD. I think it's worthy of inclusion.

2 hours ago, Quest said:

Martin-Gore-Studio-70Martin-Gore-Studio-3916_1553015948081587_7680506636648314756_o.jpg.baa8965dee854dcbce617fabbc4b9060.jpg

I wonder how many he can have switched on at once?

Imagine, just off frame to the left, there's a single four-gang adapter and hundreds of loose plugs that he has to manually switch. :D

• 5 weeks later...

That'l be a strange press conference, just the two of them. I'm genuinely surprised they're announcing anything this soon after Fletch's death, they've never been the type of band to be in a hurry about anything.

Fingers crossed for a decent producer. Hopefully the headline statement will be that they're sacking the drummer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/09/2022 at 21:27, cubik said:

Exciting times, but I didn’t expect anything so soon after Andy’s death. 

I’d be happy even if it was just a rerelease of Strange and Strange Too on Blu-ray

I'd be far happier with those than I would be with a new album.

spacer.png

New album "Memento Mori" (latin for remember that you [have to] die) is released Spring 2023

It's sad to see the mighty DM as a duo. I know Fletch wasn't the most musical of the bunch but it's weird without him, he was a real constant throughout their career.

A quick moan from me - Looks like Anton has outdone himself yet again with the laziest logo yet, hope the actual artwork is a bit more inspired.

Text taken from an article from Clash that was posted and then taken down:

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Class of 2020 inductees Depeche Mode announced today at a special event in Berlin that they will be releasing a new album and embarking on a world tour in 2023. The Memento Mori Tour will support the band’s forthcoming 15th studio album, Memento Mori, due out in Spring 2023.

On O2 or Virgin Media? Secure your Priority Tickets now here for the UK date at Twickenham Stadium on Saturday 17th June 2023 ahead of the general sale.

Dave Gahan and Martin Gore revealed today that the Live Nation-presented tour will begin with a special, limited series of North American arena dates starting March 23rd, before the band heads to Europe for their summer stadium tour.

These limited North American dates will feature stops at New York’s Madison Square Garden, Chicago’s United Center, Los Angeles’ Kia Forum and Toronto’s Scotiabank Arena, among others. The band will then begin their European stadium tour on May 16th, with noted stops including the Stade de France in Paris, Berlin’s Olympic Stadium, Milan’s San Siro Stadium, and London’s Twickenham Stadium.

The Memento Mori Tour will be Depeche Mode’s 19th tour and their first in over five years. The band’s most recent outing, the 2017-2018 Global Spirit Tour was its longest to date and was one of the year’s highest grossing tours, with the band playing to more than 3 million fans over the course of 130 shows across Europe and North America.