The Witness

Wools

So I finally got round to dusting the Marsh / Water area, that was so fun! Felt slightly ashamed as I had to do a bit of a google for when I arrived at the elevated platform (right near the end of the section) as I just assumed that the screen was out of reach, a bit of a weird one, that - you can reach that one particular screen from MILES away.

I then headed to the castle / fort / courtyard thing. Smashed the first half (with the hedges) pretty easily, but the second bit (with the glass floor tiles) was tough - if neat! :) I'm at the last puzzle of that bit now, man, it's a bit mind-melting!! At first I was like "oh I just do the same as the one above the hedg--oh wait." No you can't do that! :angry:

My 20 min commute flew by this morning as I puzzled over a photo of a screen on a screen on a screen. That's some meta shit right there. Itching to get back!!

I don't wanna read the thread too closely because spoilers. But I'm ~100 puzzles in and I'm not really feeling this at all. I don't mind the line puzzles, but after doing 5-10 at a time I get a bit bored and restless. I realise there's probably more to it. But it's going to take a LOT of line puzzles to get there and I'm not sure I have the will.

This is just perfect on SharePlay on PS4. I sat there playing it last night with my brother (50 miles away) with the two of us working stuff out and suggesting solutions. I fucking love technology sometimes.

Had the classic "just one more go" from about 11pm until it was way too late, and then (THEN!) we figured out a new rule. So now there are loads of puzzles out there that we can attempt, and I'm on the train to work. Stupid game.

I'm at the 'end-game' scenario which I've heard is a point of no return, but I want to make sure I get the "Complete a certain challenge" Trophy to get platinum.

Can anyone give me any none spoilery hints as to how I approach the certain challenge without initiating the end-game?

650 according to something I read the other day. I'm currently at 364 +27.

How do you know? I haven't been keeping track, and I've no idea if there's anywhere in game that it tells you.

I'm really enjoying this, especially the sense that there's something going on I don't understand at the moment. I'm really early on, only done one laser. I've come up against loads of puzzles with tetris blocks and triangles and coloured shapes and stuff in them, and I've absolutely no idea what I'm supposed to be doing with them. I don't want to spoil things for myself so I'm not googling solutions, but I'm pretty stuck.

I'm wondering whether there's a series of puzzles that teaches you what to do with the tetris blocks/coloured shapes in the same way there was for the white and black squares? Have I missed an introductory puzzle set? Or is it more a brute force thing until you figure out how those bits work?

EDIT: Wait, I think I may have just found exactly what I was looking for.

Can someone bloody edit the topic title to say how you check how many puzzles you've done? It's been asked about 50 times in the last few pages! :P

And scribblor, it seems you found those tutorials for the tetris shapes, but I did exactly the same! Seems very easy to miss those tutorials on the way into that area! Despite them basically being a strip of black screens amongst all that colour! :lol:

I see in today's Times that a simple test of perspective is being touted as a good early warning indicator for Alzheimers. Certainly feel my brain has been worked in this and utterly determined to progress without resorting to Google.

However, I have gone and purchased some graph paper today.

Also, this game should probably post a warning re red/green colourblindness and hearing difficulties.

Coloured stars are a nuisance, no mistake, they (seem to me to) have multiple qualifying statements to their main principle.

I found tri-wings simple once I had extrapolated from the single specific observation you find on the first set of training panels in the quarry to a general rule. You need some basic grip on stars too though for this area but not all their quirks (IIRC).

Of course, I find other things in this game utterly baffling, so not trying to boast.

I'm not very good at this but still very enjoyable.

Two lasers down shady trees and the first laser (desert-ish bit by the coast)

Where I am currently stuck:

Outlining the rocks section - all good but the third puzzle just seems to be completely different. Outlining the single rock doesnt work.

Jungle sound puzzles - stuck with the final board collecting dots to sound, just need to work a bit more on this I think.

Tetris shapes swamp - seem to have progressed through the starting puzzles but then the bridge to the next area doesnt open

Treehouse - final section seems to have gone to another level.

Greenhouse - puzzles have suddenly gone from four colours to loads! (no idea how to continue)

Desert - not sure how to even start these ones.

Quarry - simply can't comprehend the rule for the tri-wing shapes.

Town - made it up onto one roof but the next tetris puzzle again doesnt seem to unlock the next section, missing something with these.

Castle - fourth area added diagonal tetris shapes which I havent solved yet.

All in all so far so good. Making slow steady progress.

There should be a little fence that opens once you do them all? Go around the walls somewhere and it's opened up a little area. Is it just me or does area have no significance at all? Just seems to relate to the narrative rather than provide new puzzles or new insights into existing ones?

Ah, OK. Cheers. What about the windmill?

Ha, just got the vid from the grey door at the desert ... but honestly, with these videos Blow is just, well, being a dick.

This particular one appears to be a 15 minute physics lecture. I know the rough length because there's still two thirds of the line I have drawn left to go.

The other three I've seen are just as bad (yet completely different). Though at least the final* one discusses an interest concept.

*I've called it final because it takes up the last of the six slots.

But still, add these videos together, and you'll likely find this game has taken an hour of your life that you'll never get back. He's basically saying "Here's your reward for all your effort: some videos I find very interesting. What, you don't like them? They're boring? Well, I like them, and couldn't give a fuck if you do or not".

I dunno. I've found there's more to the films than you might think. :)

Treetops ones? They just have one rule and have been consistent with it.

Could well be (it's just the way the star symbol was worked so hard, and developed with little tweaks over the course of the treetops sequences led to me jotting down qualifying or subsidiary statements to the initial simple rule). I know I still haven't fully grasped this symbol since an early panel in the town eludes me.

I think I understand the stars. If so, it's a dead simple rule, I think. That and the tri-wing thing. I thought I understood the Tetris shapes until I can't do the gate on the left hand side of the sluice by Quarry.

That's exactly where the penny first dropped for me for the yellow blocks aka Tetris.

I can't figure out how to get to the treetops. I've run around at the ledge at the side of The Keep where there's a little draw bridge and down at the bottom but can't figure out how to get up there.

A clue would be much appreciated.

Take a different form of transport - you've found the back door!

@hobo: re: the swamp tetris shapes bit - which bridge do you mean? There's a puzzle on the main entrance bridge which is the key to making it move, not the (two sets of) tutorial screens..

Ah the main entrance via the boat?

After listing my stuck sections I just completed the desert temple and the last few symmetry tiles which didn't seem to open any further progression. Back to the swamp...