The Witness

Wools

oh! if you've finished it, i googled for info about the last trophy and found out there's

what:

there's a hidden room with more proper puzzles to do :D

i wasn't too bothered about doing the environmental '+' ones so this was great news.

how:

get all the lasers then look under the box at the top of the mountain, then solve the puzzle on the floor near the guy right at the end.

...and done. I'm properly grinning.

The last few puzzles had me all emotional, with all the glowing ambience on the soundtrack. Then a very pretty ending sequence. And then... next spoiler is for something cool you can find early on in a new game...

My god, the credits area/magic hotel/shapeless void/waking-up video. Absolute madness. Can't believe the piss jug he posted on twitter was genuinely a slow-burn injoke. All very pretentious but I think it's well-earned. My heart skipped a beat when I saw the last aerial view of the island from the window. Magnificent stuff.

Look forward to finding lots more secrets, but for now I'll go to bed a very happy chap. This fucking game.

Found my first bonus puzzle today after 212 regular.

It was a fantastic surprise and then, with my eye in, I soon found and completed one more, and then found a couple more that I haven't solved yet. Looking for these bonuses is my current preoccupation.

The best thing is leaving it for a night with a load of puzzles that I can't solve and then returning the next day only to solve one or two immediately and then make a little more progress. Quite amazing the difference a clear mind can make.

I've got three lasers lit now after uncovering something that actually made the final shady trees solveable

amazingly, I had completed missed the group of puzzles that opened the second gate door. With them completed the final puzzle was quite a lot clearer...

. There are loads of puzzles that I currently have no idea of with the last (or maybe second to last) one in the ruins currently irritating me a lot.

It's a sign of the games quality that I am putting so many hours into it when the puzzle genre has never been my thing.

I hate the jungle/sound garden. I have no ear for sound. This might be the one area I cheat at.

Brute forced the last three sound puzzles in the end. Not satisfying.

At 11 lasers, ~380 puzzles solved, +30 with 17 hours played (in three days oops). Looking forward to diving into the closing part later this week.

I adore most of the puzzle design and the manor in which it teaches you the rules. The recurring criticism I see about its rules (not here quite as much) is that it changes them on you. Makes you think the rule is something and then changes it. But I don't think it ever does that. It gives you puzzles that our minds read too much into. We over seem to naturally over complicate the rules, assigning more complex and strict rules than are actually required.

How it manages to express so much without ever offering a direct instruction beyond the fact that you should press A on things and can use a trigger to run blows my mind.

And on top of the puzzles it's the world that really makes it. Big and full of wonderful detail to get lost in but compact enough that if you get an urge to change area or a ureeka moment about a puzzle on the other side of the map you can be there in no time.

This really is my perfect type of game (apart from Civilisation but that's not a game, that's a lifestyle).

First obelisk down, more to go. Now at 378 +41 +1, and I've got two solutions of the theatre I haven't used yet. Haven't spotted any more doors on my travels will have to have a hunt for them. Much of tonight was dicking about in the boat trying to [spoilers]solve the environmental puzzles from the water, four done so far (the one involving the outside of the greenhouse is great) and I'm sure there's one on the ship, I can see part of the path & the end but haven't found the start years.

the fucking windmill environmental puzzles, I could have happily killed someone for a faster windmill

My god, the credits area/magic hotel/shapeless void/waking-up video. Absolute madness. Can't believe the piss jug he posted on twitter was genuinely a slow-burn injoke. All very pretentious but I think it's well-earned. My heart skipped a beat when I saw the last aerial view of the island from the window. Magnificent stuff.

thanks for pointing that out, i'd missed it :)

and last trophy spoiler

the time trial puzzle challenge with the record player is ace, tried it loads but not managed to do it yet, will keep trying :)

I've no idea how to solve that puzzle though.

which one is that?

if it's

the one with the guy on the floor right at the end

the rule for the

triangles

is

the number of triangles in the square is how many lines should be on the sides of the square - not sure i've explained that too well, but if there's 1 triangle, one of the 4 sides should be filled in/drawn on, and 3 triangles is for 3 of the 4 sides etc.

400 + 13 done so far, all lasers up and so far looked up three puzzles. Two of those I regret, but not the one in the Jungle area, the only one that feels frustrating because of bad design so far. The town I saved for last, since I was kinda dreading doing that since the puzzles seemed so hard, but it ended up being one of my favorite areas.

By the way, one of the videos surprised me immensely (the third one):

The candle crossing scene is the climactic scene from Nostalghia from Andrei Tarkovsky from 1983. It's one of my favorite films of all time, with one of my favorite scenes in full. But most of that power comes from everything that precedes it and the final shots (the black and white ones with the guy in the church) that they show are absolutely meaningless if you haven't seen the film.

I like Blow's philosophical approach, but I don't really like the execution. Most logs and videos are too long and too on the nose. They totally lack the natural and subtle way of communicating that is this game otherwise does so brilliantly.

Anyone having trouble finding hidden secrets:

The lake in the middle of the island is in fact a huge map, and everything in it - lanterns, fountains, lillypads and more - correspond to things you can find.

Anyone else found the super-secret endgame stuff?

The Special/Hidden panels were a total revelation.

Found my first one last night having completed over 300 "standard" panels... and now I'm seeing them everywhere!

They certainly address some people's initial ill concieved concerns that the games puzzles panels feel separate from the gameworld.

Same here - I thought that using the panel at the top of the mountain was the only possible action :facepalm::facepalm: .

Broken my self imposed rule to look up one panel in each of shady trees and the jungle, also to see how Treetops err, unfolds because I couldn't face that bit over again, but doing that that tidied up everywhere except the monastery, desert ruin and town. There's definitely a pattern here (groan), the environmental ones give me more difficulty than the logic symbol grids.

So what gives with that panel at the top of the mountain then? I clocked it was the same shape as the river below, but I didn't get what was supposed to be happening..

I came back to that one after having a revelation elsewhere.

The mountain top panel is actually a tutorial for many similar puzzles.

Full explanation:

the river itself is the line/puzzle...

I got the Keep trophy last night, which surprised me as I thought I'd have to do both of the top panels, and I didn't. Which was lucky, because I don't know how to do the other one...

I've found 15 of the "+" puzzles now, and seen a few others. I thought that was pretty good until I started to realise how many there must be.

I have 5 lasers turned on now. Not sure what I'm tackling next.

Full explanation:

Ah, awesome. That's kinda what I thought, just got lost trying to find the bloody thing! Hehe.

I have a question about "the end"

Does it end if I get in the elevator and wipe all my progress? (or is there a new game plus which keeps my progress? there's stuff I've definitely not done

It keeps a save file for you in the elevator (it doesn't look like you can get back out at first, but you can). A new game won't be NG+ or anything, but you can still load the old one.

Full explanation:

Are you just talking about the lines around the world in general? As in you didn't know about them? or is it something deeper than that?

Up to 464 + 39. Endgame stuff:

I'm at quite a nice point now where I can bash my head against some of the absolute nightmares in the hidden tunnels, then just go out and look for environmental puzzles in the lovely colourful world. Still haven't stumbled across this fabled "music box" I've heard about.

Also enjoyed unlocking a few shortcuts between areas, the world design is incredible at keeping things hidden until you come through them from the other side.

I'm up to 476 +20.

Endgame stuff too:

I've got just two (I think) left in the hidden area. The funny coloured one, and the rolling one. That orange tetris puzzle was an utter bastard! But I haven't googled a single thing while down here.

Have you found any recordings? I found two, and am wondering if there are any more. And yeah, no music box in my game so far.

Found a very amusing one which breaks the fourth wall and involves an argument about sandwiches, a rather nice surprise. I'm generally awful at noticing those things though.

Did you find the secret area early on in a new game yet? You've got to see that.

Solved the first non tutorial in the swamp before work, but it didn't seen to do anything? The cable on the other side of the panel didn't light up.

I couldn't figure that one out. Turns out that puzzle has two solutions. Hope that helps without taking away the satisfaction of solving.