The Witness

Wools

I've become less enthusiastic about this as the months/years have gone by. I'm sure it will be great, but I am slightly concerned about what exactly I'll be doing for these 100 hours and whether I'll actually be having fun. It does look bloody lovely on the graphical side.

I'm thoroughly looking forward to this. Loved Braid, and the thread on here when people started to piece together the story and figure out the hoops you had to jump through to get the stars was something else.

I guarantee that buried somewhere within The Witness is something completely mental and mind-blowing.

I predict £15.99.

I think it might be closer to £30. Supposed to be a 40-100 hour game. He has supposedly put all of the money made from Braid into this. He's worked right up until release and apparently a physical version will follow later, so I'll be waiting on that - but I'm very excited for this.

I think it might be closer to £30. Supposed to be a 40-100 hour game. He has supposedly put all of the money made from Braid into this.

And then some, he goes further into actual debt for every month he doesn't get this out, the Braid royalties stopped covering the burn rate a while back so he's practically literally betting the farm on this game now.

Which is the sort of thing other acclaimed indie games have had to resort to doing over the years, Shovel Knight and Journey being two other high profile examples.

Correct on price then *smug mode*

It'll be more than worth it. I consider this and many other titles as the new mid-tier indies. Not small projects, and not really tiny teams. The creativity shown by these teams should be rewarded and the price point is absolutely reflective of the quality these games are offering.

I think times have moved on since Braid and people should be supportive (and generally, they will be) of the growing importance of the space these games occupy.

I'm a bit confused as to why this isn't full price. Isn't 70 hours as long as most full priced games. Is it simply that people expect this to be cheaper because of who made it?

Yes - that and I'm guessing it was still cheaper than a typical big publisher triple A game to make. And because people are stupid and would have immediately been turned off even more at considering it as a full price release going by neogaf and this 40 dollar price tag.

My understanding is it's all kind of puzzles. It's basically 70 hours of exploring an island full of all kinds of ingeneous puzzles. It's been clearly made with a lot of love and polish and I'm very excited to play it.

I'm imagining it as the game I wished I was playing while playing Myst back in 1993. With added LSD. That is definitely worth £40.

Yes - that and I'm guessing it was still cheaper than a typical big publisher triple A game to make. And because people are stupid and would have immediately been turned off even more at considering it as a full price release going by neogaf and this 40 dollar price tag.

Apparently I'm stupid then because I'd rather it was cheaper instead of being a 70-100 hour long puzzle game. That's how long I put into TW3. Obviously I have no idea how The Witness will be received but I'd bet that the majority of people don't finish it.

Edit:

He tells GameSpot that most people will need about 20-25 hours to beat the game's 667 puzzles. However, completionists could spend closer to 100 hours before they're done, he said.

Ok, 20-25 hours is a more realistic estimate.

The line mechanism is clearly just a means to express solutions to more abstract puzzles learnt through the exploration of the environment. Remember we've only seen a couple of dozen puzzles on very simple ideas. That concept will hopefully branch off in many different directions.