The Witness

Wools

I'm ashamed to admit even after completing the whole game that aspect just never clicked for me. I later read about it somewhere.

Spoiler

I'd seen the patterns around the environment, of course, but just never tried drawing on them for some reason. So obvious in hindsight.

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I'm ashamed to admit even after completing the whole game that aspect just never clicked for me. I later read about it somewhere.

Hide contents

I'd seen the patterns around the environment, of course, but just never tried drawing on them for some reason. So obvious in hindsight.

I didn’t think it was possible to complete it without doing that at least once.

21 hours ago, Jamie John said:

The excellent Watch Out For Fireballs podcast duo have just done an episode on this excellent game:

(I haven't actually listened to this yet, but I'm sure it's great.)

It’s a great podcast even if they found the game fairly problematic.

21 hours ago, Count Buffalos said:

It’s a great podcast even if they found the game fairly problematic.

Yeah, I finished listening to it today.

Although I understand what they're saying and I think their evaluation is as astute as ever, I can't say that I had the same experience they did when I played it about four year ago; I thought it was brilliant and unique and it made me feel like a genius. I was inspired enough to do the HotMK bit and get the platinum for it, and listen to the hour long lecture, ha.

That said, I didn't know about any of the stuff to do with Blow himself at the time, and even though the WOFF guys say that they've tried to divorce the art from the artist, that's pretty much impossible to do; I wonder if they'd have found it as condescending and pretentious as they did if it had been made by someone less controversial.

• 2 months later...

Interesting. I watch a little of that channel and enjoy his chatting over a tricky sudoku. So will have to give that a watch.

I actually played the first few areas of this again the other week. Really nice feeling to experience a little of it again but it cannot hold the same magic a second time. The feeling of discovery and ah ha moments is unsurprisingly gone.

1 hour ago, Don Wiskerando said:

His reaction at 1hr 10m to the Apple Trees is wonderful and is exactly what sets the game apart for me.

Does he usually play games other than sudoku?

I don't think so, definitely not streaming at least.

I've been watching the Sudoku playthrough as well and Simon is a genius, cracking puzzles in seconds that took me hours to twig. Its great to watch and remember how amazing the puzzle design and progression is in this game, without having to go and re-do the whole thing (and of course you can just fast forward the vod to skip solving time). 

Anyway because I'd been watching that, this popped up in my Youtube recommended. Aside from the insane memory required there are some incredible long-range solves as well. Absolute insanity!

Mega Spoilers!

On 02/09/2021 at 20:51, therearerules said:

A sudoku expert is currently streaming his run through of the witness, and it's simply a joy to watch. It's not much of a spoiler to say you can see the whole reason behind the game come to fruition as he plays. Hugely enjoyable:

This has turned into an essential evening catch-up for me. Such a nice guy, and his gentle enthusiasm makes for great comfort viewing.

12 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I've been watching the Sudoku playthrough as well and Simon is a genius, cracking puzzles in seconds that took me hours to twig. Its great to watch and remember how amazing the puzzle design and progression is in this game, without having to go and re-do the whole thing (and of course you can just fast forward the vod to skip solving time). 

Anyway because I'd been watching that, this popped up in my Youtube recommended. Aside from the insane memory required there are some incredible long-range solves as well. Absolute insanity!

I've only been watching for 30 seconds and I've already sworn 3 times. This is crazy.

On 16/06/2021 at 17:01, Jamie John said:

That said, I didn't know about any of the stuff to do with Blow himself at the time, and even though the WOFF guys say that they've tried to divorce the art from the artist, that's pretty much impossible to do; I wonder if they'd have found it as condescending and pretentious as they did if it had been made by someone less controversial.

How controversial has he been? I've seen him make some slightly arrogant/overblown comments on other games but it doesn't bother me really. He's certainly earned bragging rights.

11 hours ago, Made of Ghosts said:

How controversial has he been? I've seen him make some slightly arrogant/overblown comments on other games but it doesn't bother me really. He's certainly earned bragging rights.

I think he said that women were biologically disposed to be disinterested in programming.

It's not just the fact he's a bit arrogant, he seems like a pretty horrible person politically too. 

Braid and The Witness are both incredible games but I'd be loathed to support a new release from him again.

He seems to be a wealth of Dunning-Krugerisms. He was arguing in favour of a recall election and one of the things he trotted out was that if people just vote for what seems okay then it works out fine, like Brexit.

On 02/09/2021 at 19:51, therearerules said:

A sudoku expert is currently streaming his run through of the witness, and it's simply a joy to watch. It's not much of a spoiler to say you can see the whole reason behind the game come to fruition as he plays. Hugely enjoyable:

Enjoying this - all the moreso after reading a comment that likens it to Paddington Bear streaming games for the first time, which is hilariously accurate. "Oh thank you so much, you don't have to give me money..."

On 02/09/2021 at 19:51, therearerules said:

A sudoku expert is currently streaming his run through of the witness, and it's simply a joy to watch.

I just don't get why people watch game streams - why watch when you could do it yourself? I've seen my kids watch streams, and they just look like the most inane waste of time.

Or at least, that was the case until I tried this one out yesterday morning, and now I'm nearly finished with part 6. I love the enthusiasm for the puzzles in general, but especially his joyful appreciation when a puzzle blows his mind with its design - it's such a great way to re-experience the game, and if anything it makes me appreciate it even more than I did when I played it myself.

Anyway part 7 is tonight and I'm thinking of watching live so I can type "BEAM" in the chat and I don't know who I am any more.

The Witness is to this day the only game I have the Platinum on. I’ve got close with a couple of others but my time is more valuable than the grind. The Witness doesn’t require you to do all the trophies to get the Platinum, only to complete “The Challenge”. 

The beauty is, because of 

Spoiler

the time limit and randomised puzzles plus it resetting if you pause

it’s impossible to cheat at this. You can only do it if you’ve properly learned all the systems the game has taught you. The game is a masterpiece in designing a language, teaching it to you, and then saying “show me”. And for that reason, irrespective of whatever Jonathan Blow says, or the subtext behind the game, it will always be special to me, because it’s about the journey. 

Strong agree, Gigawatt. I replayed this game in full (100% completion) recently, for the first time since it came out, and my appreciation has only grown, which doesn't happen with a lot of games. And especially surprising, given that I still remembered a lot of the tricks and "a-ha!" moments. So as a playthrough it was less exciting and revelatory than the first, but I think that let me take a slightly more detached view, and really appreciate the artistry. Forgive me donning the wank hat, but it is such a finely crafted thing. A jewelled puzzle box.