Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection Thread

Asura

I know there are quite a few people waiting for this (I'm definitely one of them). Well, this week Walmart in the US listed it for preorder via their website. Obviously that's not proof, but it lends some credence to the idea that we'll see something about this collection soon; with The Last Guardian being shown at TGS this year I presume that's when we'll hear more.

500x_500x_icops3.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5635508/walmart-lists-ico-shadow-of-the-colossus-set-for-ps3

The only disconcerting thing is that they list the release date for the 1st of April, 2011.

Are these going to be spruced up?

or just the originals?

( not being a God Of War fan, not sure what happened with that pack.)

The God of War pack was widescreen formatted, 60fps, and in high-definition. It also looked a little bit better in places too, plus the video sequences were also high-def I think. The disc also had a slew of documentaries on, as well as a demo of GoW3.

I'm hoping Ico and SotC get the same treatment; HD 60fps SotC would be amazing.

There is a case to be made for keeping the low trudging frame rate for SotC though. Although I hope that's wrong and 60fps suits it just fine.

Admittedly, it did add a little to the "epic-ness" of it. Still, I'd love to see it at 60fps.

The only disconcerting thing is that they list the release date for the 1st of April, 2011.

In the US that's the start date of the third quarter of the fiscal year, which I suppose you could interpret one of two ways: 1) Walmart are listing the latest possible release date given the release quarter they've had the game pencilled in for, or 2) they're listing the earliest possible date given what they've been told.

Or 3) they're taking a wild stab in the dark and know nothing more than any of us.

The God of War pack was widescreen formatted, 60fps, and in high-definition. It also looked a little bit better in places too, plus the video sequences were also high-def I think. The disc also had a slew of documentaries on, as well as a demo of GoW3.

I'm hoping Ico and SotC get the same treatment; HD 60fps SotC would be amazing.

The video sequences were anything but HD, and the original was 60fps... though it was kinda variable in places.

discussing the framerate of shadow of the colossus. I know this is rllmuk, but come on.

As much as I agree that the game is a masterpiece despite it's framerate issues, I think we can all agree that a version with 60FPS or even a locked-in 30 FPS would be an utter delight.

The video sequences were anything but HD, and the original was 60fps... though it was kinda variable in places.

Ah OK, I wasn't totally sure but I thought they were (I played GoW 2 and 3 back-to-back recently so it's probably my recollection of the 3rd one colouring my memories of the 2nd).

Plus, 24fps? :huh: 60 would be awesome for both games.

ICO had bags of charm but none of it had anything to do with the shitty resolution it displayed at. Why would you not want it in HD with more detail and a huge draw distance for those moments when you're stood at the top of the castle looking down with just the wind and Yorda for company?

Crazy people.

Exactly. Especially when most people will have played Ico, and a large proportion SotC, on CRT screens, which will have made a vast difference in hiding the low resolution. Stick them up exactly as they were, but on an HD LCD screen (less so on a plasma, but it'd still be an issue), their low resolution (and low resolution textures) will stick out like a sore thumb.

Exactly. Especially when most people will have played Ico, and a large proportion SotC, on CRT screens, which will have made a vast difference in hiding the low resolution. Stick them up exactly as they were, but on an HD LCD screen (less so on a plasma, but it'd still be an issue), their low resolution (and low resolution textures) will stick out like a sore thumb.

Yep, they certainly do. Ico in particular looks awful on my Panasonic which makes pretty much everything look half-decent.