Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection Thread

Asura

Hmm, not sure about that. No doubt it'll still be great but both games were technical marvels at release and may look and feel a bit dated by now, lessening their impact a bit.

The scale, atmosphere and unique feel will never change though. There is nothing else at all like these two games.

I'm confused by the Pixie Lott analogy. Are you worried the games will turn out to be really fucking annoying?

No, I just asked my 15 year old son for a "good looking celebrity" name. His fault.

I take barely any notice of the TV (with the exception of stuff like The Wire, Breaking Bad or Dexter and the like) and, apart from the glares I occasionally give my missus in the other room when she has the telly too loud and Simon Cowells' sneering laugh fucks up my chi, I dont pay it much attention.

:D

No, I just asked my 15 year old son for a "good looking celebrity" name. His fault.

I take barely any notice of the TV (with the exception of stuff like The Wire, Breaking Bad or Dexter and the like) and, apart from the glares I occasionally give my missus in the other room when she has the telly too loud and Simon Cowells' sneering laugh fucks up my chi, I dont pay it much attention.

I think you should ground him.

Christina Hendricks.

Hmm, not sure about that. No doubt it'll still be great but both games were technical marvels at release and may look and feel a bit dated by now, lessening their impact a bit.

Nah.

I played both Ico and SOTC well after their release and was absolutely struck by their visuals.

The plan tonight was to run through Moscow in Alpha Protocol, but I find I suddenly have de irresistibule urgement to pop Shadow in for a new play and just see how far I get before the yawns drag me away.

Poor Alpha Protocol, getting snubbed again.

I'd forgotten just how much wanton lizard slaughter SOTC dangles in your face. :(

"Want some more taiiiils??" :eyebrows:

Gruuu - why yes, yes I guess I do, sort of.. Wait, no. Enough already!

(Then, feeling somewhat saintlier, you scamper off again to skewer some poor bugger's caravan-sized skullcap with your pointer.)

stuff from kotaku liveblog...

The natural assumption is that they just took the PS2 version and ported it to PS3. It's not that simple. Sounds like they're doing some heavy texture re-work on these re-releases. Ueda says that immediately after finishing Shadow of the Colossus he felt bad that some things were cut, but now he feels it's a complete game. They are "brushing up" some of the art assets.
Ueda says he was not happy with the frame rate in the PS2 version of Shadow of the Colossus. He's shooting for a "solid 30 frames per second." He had originally designed it 30fps. Also, Ico will be re-framed for high-definition resolution, Ueda said in response to a question.
On top of uprezzing the two titles for PS3, they will also be playable in stereoscopic 3D. Ico and Shadow of the Colossus were both very 3D centric-designs, with a great perception of depth, but "a lot of these elements really come to life" in stereoscopic 3D.
There will be PlayStation Trophy support.
Spring 2011 for the collection.
The European Ico, which features a different ending, will be the universal release. The team calls this the "complete" version.
Ashcraft asks about the release situation -- the U.S. and European market will get a two-in-one release. One disc.

Don't give a toot about 3D but great news on the textures and art assets.

I think that often gets overlooked in these releases. The GoW collection looked great on the PS3 but in places the old PS2 blur-o-textures really gave it away. The PS2 had what? 128KB of texture memory? :P

Bit of an odd thing to say, Nap.

Not really, but I may be wrong.

Let me explain ... when I first played Ico and SotC I was blown away by the level design and story/interaction and all that. This stuff will obviously remain intact.

But they were also some of the technically innovative and prettiest games ever at that moment, with their washed out lighting and eerie mist, sense of scale, no HUD, stuff like that. However, since then we had games like Sands of Time, the God of War games and a whole new generation of technical wizardry and progress. At the same time, we now get the old games scaled up to HD resolutions making low res textures more obvious, low poly objects more obvious, etc. So not only will the then cutting-edge graphics seem less exciting by today's standards, we'll also be able to see the flaws more clearly.

So in that regard, I think there is a good chance the 'wow-factor' will be a bit less than when it was released all those years ago. At least on a technical level. I'm sure that once people get over that and just dive into the games the unique experience and emotional impact will still be there.

People excited about Ico should bear something in mind. It was subject to a backlash when it 1st came out, as people often do, it was pulled to bits by certain parties. If you wilfully charge through it, you can finish it in 5 hours or so. If you take in the scenery, appreciate the subtle story...atmospheric locations, etc...you'll get 8-12 hours depending on your pacing and lateral thinking.

It was subject to the usual "5 hours - 40 quid LOL" rubbish that inevitably gets thrown at a game that's adored in some quarters. So anyone going into it after reading this thread, youre in danger of setting the bar too high. Particularly Ico out of the 2 games, its a whimsical, chilled game that rewards taking your time with it, not expecting to be slapped around the face with some incredible rollercoaster of a ride. its more of a slow burn..you get 2 playthroughs (the 2nd with readable subtitles as opposed to just symbols). Then there are some secret unlockables and video options to play with. There are plenty of subtle touches you wont spot immediately...like a good album, you'll want to revisit it often if you take to the atmosphere and story.

I fear for it being subject to the same stupidly high expectations its reputation gave it at the time...people would come to it, hearing of people's joyful experiences, race through it, and be itching to get back online to proclaim its ordinariness..shortness, lack of depth etc. People hold it in such high regard because a lot of them came to it with relatively low expectations..a small game from an internal Sony studio. It didnt sell well, was barely advertised, and snuck out into retail.

Or tl:dr, it wont smack you in the face with awesomeness, but if you go in open minded, it'll charm you and earn a place in your heart. Just be wary not to approach it the wrong way.

@angel I was blown away by it, but for me it came out of nowhere at the time so I went in without any expectations and it turned out to be one of the best gaming experiences I ever had. But the only thing I had seen of it were a handful of screenshots and a, I must say, not overly enthusiastic review in some Playstation 2 magazine. At the time I thought the backgrounds were pre-rendered, Resi Evil style :)

Expectations were much higher for Shadow of the Colossus, which to my surprise delivered due to its unique gameplay, stunning creature design and awesome story.

I fear for it being subject to the same stupidly high expectations its reputation gave it at the time...people would come to it, hearing of people's joyful experiences, race through it, and be itching to get back online to proclaim its ordinariness..shortness, lack of depth etc. People hold it in such high regard because a lot of them came to it with relatively low expectations..a small game from an internal Sony studio. It didnt sell well, was barely advertised, and snuck out into retail.

I bought ICO at its PAL launch having been hyped for it but I was never a fan of it once I got my hands on it. Style over gameplay for me.

The no hype thing is incorrect though. The MGS bloke was wanking all over it at the previous E3, and it recieved decent coverage in the PS2 mags at the time. The PAL launch was stupidly timed as it clashed with MGS2, but I feel it was mostly ignored on forums at the time as there was still a huge amount of Dreamcast morners coming out with Sony can't make games lol comments all over the place back then.

So it's confirmed then, 30fps. It's a shame it wasn't 60 but they've said that they're improving the texture quality, so maybe it'll be OK.

I think 30fps ultimately fits better. I'm not even making the "cinematic" argument, it's just the it was clearly never designed to run at that high a framerate; could be they'd have to redo a lot of the animation and such to fit. The actual control of the game is methodical by its nature, so if anything I wonder if bumping the game to 60fps would make everything feel slower rather than more responsive.

I wonder if there's any scope for them improving upon the effects of the original, like the HDR, motion blur and fur shaders. I wouldn't say no to even more cuddly looking colossi.