IGNORED

Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

The Sarge

I finally finished the game last night.

I think, altogether, I'm a bit disappointed with it.

Not least because of that EPIC ENDING SEQUENCE. Aka end credits.

I like, on the surface of things, the idea of the game not overloading you with plot, and letting you construct an idea of what's going on by yourself. I thought Demon's Souls did this quite well. There was enough to go on to basically understand what had happened in the various areas of the game, and what you had to do to stop it. In Dark Souls, there was this big opening sequence that mentioned a whole mess of crap that was not directly mentioned until much later in the game, and even then didn't make much sense. I kept expecting that after the NEXT area, after the NEXT boss, I might be told what the fuck was going on and why I was going to all the trouble of fighting Ents and dragons and piles of faeces dropping on my head, but no - each fight just leads to another fight, with no explanations and no indication of what's going on. You get more plot from item descriptions and loading screens than from a straight playthrough of the game.

I like a bit of mystery and intrigue in a game's story. Games are a unique storytelling form in that they allow you to go in and explore and pick up more of the story for yourself if you want. But for me, Dark Souls epitomises the worst of Japanese storytelling. Too obscure and inaccessible. I needed a reason for what I was doing, and I didn't get one. By the time I went after Nito in the Catacombs, I just wanted the game to be over. I was hoping for an end cutscene that might tell me what the point of it all was. I didn't get one.

He knocks you down and there are 3 items at your feet. It was one of those!

AHH ok , I'd been there already and picked up the stuff, then went up to his area, got kicked down, went back up, and introduced him to the business end of my spear.

I have so much stuff in my inventory that I've not looked at. It's a bit of a joke now. Soon I will have to have a thorough audit and weapon forging session!

Bugger. Hit Shiva of the East by mistake. How much does it cost to reset NPC hostility? Tell me it's not Soul Level x 2000................

OK then, it's not Soul Level x 2000. I hope that's eased your mind for the depressing realisation that it is.

Transient Curse is your friend. The ghost placements are so disgusting and mean. Go in, do what you need to do and then leave.

Do I need to go down there? I have the next key plot item from Anor Londo so if I can avoid it, I'd very much like to.

Right.

So i got back to the real world start again and found a way that avoided the regen'ing skellys. Got into some town or other on the side of the hill and killed a bunch of Zombies and stuff. Burg town ?

Anyway, wondered around for about an hour or so looking for a bonfire to save at, but found some evil looking chap who kicked my arse back to the start point. Where everything that was very much dead is now very much alive.

I hate games that make me play zones over and over again with no save points. It means i have to go and buy the book or use FAQ.com to plan routes to the bonfires each time.

Also ... what is the point of having pots and boxes all over the place that make a great noise when you break them, If you're not going to put anything into those pots for me to find? I don't see the point of making things breakable if theres no point in breaking them ? why waste time on a loverly bit of animation. I just run past them all now.

I do love the random burning word/advice though. not just .. "press x to hit" but messages about the "loverly view" or "watch out, tough guy ahead" these bits are good, it looks very nice and it's got loads of potential ... if only i could find a bonfire when i want to go off and make dinner without having to die to save the game. Its the sort of shit FF always pulls and it's annoying.

if only i could find a bonfire when i want to go off and make dinner without having to die to save the game. Its the sort of shit FF always pulls and it's annoying.

Press start, pick quit game. You'll be right where you left off when you load it up again.

Avoid New Londo - it is a waste of transient curses since you cannot do anything there (no shortcuts, no bosses) beyond collect a few items. You can do this stuff after Anor Londo though.

I found an amazing farming spot while looking for a sunlight maggot. (Btw, anyone found one of those? I want to trade it for the old witch's ring). You need to be in Chaos Servant covenant at level 2 by offering her 30 humanity (not so hard when you can farm humanity in the Duke's Archives). This opens up a shortcut between the Demon's Ruins and the end area of Izalith (very easily accessible from the chaos servant herself when you've beaten the boss there). In the shortcut there's a Titanite demon who drops 2 demon titanite every time you fight him. That's right, every time you fight him. HE RESPAWNS!

The downside is all the weapons you can upgrade via Demon Titanite are pretty shit. Well, the Quelaag Furysword is good until you get a fire Uchi+10, I haven't tried my true greatsword of Artorias yet, and the stats on the bow I made from Gwyndolin's Soul look really good. But yeah, upgrading the Crystal Ring Shield to +5 has had no discernable effect. And Ornstein's Dragonslayer Spear is pretty shit for damage, although the secondary attack is pretty novel.

Avoid New Londo - it is a waste of transient curses since you cannot do anything there (no shortcuts, no bosses) beyond collect a few items.

I found an amazing farming spot while looking for a sunlight maggot. (Btw, anyone found one of those? I want to trade it for the old witch's ring)

I got mine from one of those little crawling creatures that doesn't attack you in that same passage as the Titanite Demon (I think...I want to say there was a hostile NPC down there as well.).

Avoid New Londo - it is a waste of transient curses since you cannot do anything there (no shortcuts, no bosses) beyond collect a few items.

Whaaaaa?? What about the boss fight, with the 4 kings? I havent gotten that far, but i heard thats where it is. I got as far as opening the floodgate in new londo, am i wasting my time going back through there or something? For what its worth tho i loved new londo. Its so goddamn creepy.

Whaaaaa?? What about the boss fight, with the 4 kings? I havent gotten that far, but i heard thats where it is. I got as far as opening the floodgate in new londo, am i wasting my time going back through there or something? For what its worth tho i loved new londo. Its so goddamn creepy.

Sorry, yeah, I meant that you need to do Anor Londo first when I was replying to Klaark's post. You should go there. Fight the boss. Have a lol.

I got mine from one of those little crawling creatures that doesn't attack you in that same passage as the Titanite Demon (I think...I want to say there was a hostile NPC down there as well.).

Yeah, I've been killing them (and done the NPC there too), but no luck so far. Was it a random drop? The guide says there's a 'special chaos bug' at one point but doesn't mention it in the rest of the guide. Also there are supposed to be 9 bugs down there, but i've only ever seen 8.

OK then, it's not Soul Level x 2000. I hope that's eased your mind for the depressing realisation that it is.

TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT!!! kill him get his sword, go back to the forest and kill his an invisible ninja bodyguard, to get a ring that turns your rolls into ninja flips!!

Do I need to go down there? I have the next key plot item from Anor Londo so if I can avoid it, I'd very much like to.

No. After new Londo. Its annoying regardless, If you want to join an EXCLUSIVE convenant go there RIGHT AFTER Anor Londo. Youll have to do a boss fight first as well, but you seem to really wanna go there, so there goes a better incentive. do not talk to anyone or anything. I repeat do not talk to anyone or anything. Im avoiding spoilers.

Avoid New Londo - it is a waste of transient curses since you cannot do anything there (no shortcuts, no bosses) beyond collect a few items. You can do this stuff after Anor Londo though.

I found an amazing farming spot while looking for a sunlight maggot. (Btw, anyone found one of those? I want to trade it for the old witch's ring). You need to be in Chaos Servant covenant at level 2 by offering her 30 humanity (not so hard when you can farm humanity in the Duke's Archives). This opens up a shortcut between the Demon's Ruins and the end area of Izalith (very easily accessible from the chaos servant herself when you've beaten the boss there). In the shortcut there's a Titanite demon who drops 2 demon titanite every time you fight him. That's right, every time you fight him. HE RESPAWNS!

The downside is all the weapons you can upgrade via Demon Titanite are pretty shit. Well, the Quelaag Furysword is good until you get a fire Uchi+10, I haven't tried my true greatsword of Artorias yet, and the stats on the bow I made from Gwyndolin's Soul look really good. But yeah, upgrading the Crystal Ring Shield to +5 has had no discernable effect. And Ornstein's Dragonslayer Spear is pretty shit for damage, although the secondary attack is pretty novel.

OH WOW, but like you said those weapons arent so so great. but after a while you can handle yourself so well that having a cool looking weapon in exchange for lower damage isnt so bad.

Well, I just decided to man up and DO IT. Last boss was no trouble at all. NG+ here I come. I have stocked up 60+ humanity so I can co-op every boss this time! Yay! My objective this time: cut off all the tails I never got to before!

Right.

So i got back to the real world start again and found a way that avoided the regen'ing skellys. Got into some town or other on the side of the hill and killed a bunch of Zombies and stuff. Burg town ?

Anyway, wondered around for about an hour or so looking for a bonfire to save at, but found some evil looking chap who kicked my arse back to the start point. Where everything that was very much dead is now very much alive.

I hate games that make me play zones over and over again with no save points. It means i have to go and buy the book or use FAQ.com to plan routes to the bonfires each time.

Also ... what is the point of having pots and boxes all over the place that make a great noise when you break them, If you're not going to put anything into those pots for me to find? I don't see the point of making things breakable if theres no point in breaking them ? why waste time on a loverly bit of animation. I just run past them all now.

I do love the random burning word/advice though. not just .. "press x to hit" but messages about the "loverly view" or "watch out, tough guy ahead" these bits are good, it looks very nice and it's got loads of potential ... if only i could find a bonfire when i want to go off and make dinner without having to die to save the game. Its the sort of shit FF always pulls and it's annoying.

Bonfires are not save points, they're just progression markers or check points for when you die (plus the other stuff like refilling flasks etc). The game constantly saves - you only need to hit start and select "Quit Game" - returning to the title screen before you switch off the console - from wherever it is you are and the next time you boot up, you can pick up from where you left off.

As for dying and getting kicked back to Firelink - welcome to Dark Souls, enjoy your stay!

Ok, so I decided yesterday that I had had enough of that dick dragon the bridge, so I got my Uchigatana up to +10, got out my Dragon Crest Shield and purchased Great Magic Weapon, and had a proper showdown with him on the middle of the bridge. It was all sorts of epic - most of his attacks were easy to dodge, but i had to hide in a stairwell for a while halfway through the fight as he went nuts and started breathing fire constantly, doing that weird dash / fire move about 20 times in a row. Once he'd calmed down and let me come out and play again, I gave him a few more chops and he was done. Slightly disappointed with the 'reward' for it though; a mere 10K of souls for what has so far been the hardest fight I've done seems a bit weird.

After that I decided to have another go at the boss of Anor Londo; using pretty much the same tactic as above, it turned out not to be quite as bad as my first few attempts had led me to believe. Not using lock on was the key, at least while they were both there anyway.

I then went upstairs and just outside the next room, someone had left a message saying 'Amazing chest ahead' :lol: I like how they made the character model HUGE, just so you can get a better look.

After that I went back to grind some slugs for titanite, and stumbled into a hidden area I had previously missed:

Great Hollow, which seems to be where all the Crystal Lizards have been hiding. I've killed about 10 there so far, and missed a few too. It's a proper nightmare for falling and dying accidentally though; jeezus. The dodgy clipping on things makes it even hairier than it looks at first.

Then I went on to Ash Lake, quite possibly the worst looking area in the game (that I've seem so far). Had a nightmare with the Hydra there for some reason - didn't struggle at all with the one in Darkroot Basin, but this one was a right dick. Got him eventually, then found all the dragon scales I needed to get my Drake Sword up to +5 too. Nice stuff. Those clam things can go eat a dick though. And they give shit souls. Not worth the effort of fighting them at all.

Oh, and the Fire Great Scythe +5 is amazing.

Ok, so I decided yesterday that I had had enough of that dick dragon the bridge, so I got my Uchigatana up to +10, got out my Dragon Crest Shield and purchased Great Magic Weapon, and had a proper showdown with him on the middle of the bridge. It was all sorts of epic - most of his attacks were easy to dodge, but i had to hide in a stairwell for a while halfway through the fight as he went nuts and started breathing fire constantly, doing that weird dash / fire move about 20 times in a row. Once he'd calmed down and let me come out and play again, I gave him a few more chops and he was done. Slightly disappointed with the 'reward' for it though; a mere 10K of souls for what has so far been the hardest fight I've done seems a bit weird.

After that I decided to have another go at the boss of Anor Londo; using pretty much the same tactic as above, it turned out not to be quite as bad as my first few attempts had led me to believe. Not using lock on was the key, at least while they were both there anyway.

I then went upstairs and just outside the next room, someone had left a message saying 'Amazing chest ahead' :lol: I like how they made the character model HUGE, just so you can get a better look.

After that I went back to grind some slugs for titanite, and stumbled into a hidden area I had previously missed:

Great Hollow, which seems to be where all the Crystal Lizards have been hiding. I've killed about 10 there so far, and missed a few too. It's a proper nightmare for falling and dying accidentally though; jeezus. The dodgy clipping on things makes it even hairier than it looks at first.

Then I went on to Ash Lake, quite possibly the worst looking area in the game (that I've seem so far). Had a nightmare with the Hydra there for some reason - didn't struggle at all with the one in Darkroot Basin, but this one was a right dick. Got him eventually, then found all the dragon scales I needed to get my Drake Sword up to +5 too. Nice stuff. Those clam things can go eat a dick though. And they give shit souls. Not worth the effort of fighting them at all.

Oh, and the Fire Great Scythe +5 is amazing.

That amazing chest ahead sign was from me :lol:

Well unless mine disappeared and someone else put it down which is entirely possible!

The only weapons I am using are my halberd + 10, and lightening spear + 2. Both awesome :D

I have a few questions for peeps-

I have a few boss souls, are any of these worth using at this point?

I am a bit stuck in Darkroot, in two places. The first is against the wolf. I managed to make a bit of damage, but then….. Another TWO wolves rolled into play >_< That must be practically impossible to fight all three of them at once. I thought he was a boss! The other place I am stuck is that I keep getting killed by the ghost behind the sealed door there. I cant lock onto him, so what is a good weapon to use against him? I guess some kind of scythe?

Sens fortress seems like a huge level, and it looks like there is another boss character on the roof. How do I get to him? Do I need to drop down in the first area to where all those demons that drop demon titanite are?

The catacombs seems pretty huge as well, and need to do a bit of exploring there. I accidently attacked the skeleton blacksmith there, when those stupid wheel skeletons rolled in >_< Is this bad??

Any suggestions for next level to tackle? I can currently go to Anor Londo, New Londo, Tomb of the Giants, Demon ruins.

Peeps have talked about ash lake and the great hollow, have I missed these levels somehow?

Many, many thanks in advance :D

Christian

The only weapons I am using are my halberd + 10, and lightening spear + 2. Both awesome :D

I have a few questions for peeps-

I have a few boss souls, are any of these worth using at this point?

I am a bit stuck in Darkroot, in two places. The first is against the wolf. I managed to make a bit of damage, but then….. Another TWO wolves rolled into play >_< That must be practically impossible to fight all three of them at once. I thought he was a boss! The other place I am stuck is that I keep getting killed by the ghost behind the sealed door there. I cant lock onto him, so what is a good weapon to use against him? I guess some kind of scythe?

Sens fortress seems like a huge level, and it looks like there is another boss character on the roof. How do I get to him? Do I need to drop down in the first area to where all those demons that drop demon titanite are?

The catacombs seems pretty huge as well, and need to do a bit of exploring there. I accidently attacked the skeleton blacksmith there, when those stupid wheel skeletons rolled in >_< Is this bad??

Any suggestions for next level to tackle? I can currently go to Anor Londo, New Londo, Tomb of the Giants, Demon ruins.

Peeps have talked about ash lake and the great hollow, have I missed these levels somehow?

Many, many thanks in advance :D

Christian

Do Sen's Fortress to get to Anor Londo.

Boring mechanics stuff:

I noticed a couple of odd things. The self-damage from Power Within seems to scale up with the MagAdjust of your Pyromancy Flame, but it doesn't increase the damage you do. Sadly, breaking the Pyromancy Flame (I spent about ten minutes fire-punching the NG+ Hollow Warriors outside Firelink for 5 damage :lol:) doesn't affect the MagAdjust, so it's not the equivalent of Demon's Souls' Cursed Weapon with a broken Talisman of Beasts.

Tests!

Broken Pyromancy Flame+0 -17HP/sec :(

Pyromancy Flame+0 -17HP/sec

Pyromancy Flame+13 -39HP/sec

The other odd thing is that I don't take any damage from non-lethal falls when I equip my Demon's Great Hammer+15 alongside a Composite Bow+13 in the right hand slots, no idea what's going on there.