IGNORED

Dark Souls - Prepare To Die... You Died.

The Sarge

Semi-retarded question: but i assume the 'female' Ghosts are the ones that scream at you?

If so, there seem to be only two of them, and farming them in the hope of a Ghost Blade drop is a complete nightmare!

I got 2 ghost blades in a few minutes last night, just killing the regular non screaming ghosts while wearing the serpent ring

The ghost blade is garbage tho. does fuck all damage, i just went back to using transient curse as it was a one shot kill with my zweihander

Semi-retarded question: but i assume the 'female' Ghosts are the ones that scream at you?

If so, there seem to be only two of them, and farming them in the hope of a Ghost Blade drop is a complete nightmare!

Yeah, that is the case. I got lucky and had one drop almost immediately - I don't think they're too rare, but you're right, it will be a pain!

I got 2 ghost blades in a few minutes last night, just killing the regular non screaming ghosts while wearing the serpent ring

The ghost blade is garbage tho. does fuck all damage, i just went back to using transient curse as it was a one shot kill with my zweihander

There are two kinds - one Jagged, one regular. I need the regular one for the Unique Weapons Trophy. ;)

What kind of cunt disconnects when he gets invaded, I mean really.

That'd be me. At Anor Londo I had such a tough time getting to the boss fight simply because EVERY time I turned myself human I'd get invaded. And I mean every...single....time. I fought these fuckers and always lost. The final straw came when I died, respawned at my bonfire, used my 2nd to last Humanity so I could get some sort of help against Smough & Ornstein, and was immediately invaded. I waited hidden behind a wall by the bonfire at the bottom of the circular staircase and after a minute two the staircase was called up meaning the invader was coming down. I had a clear view down the corridor and I watched and waited. The staircase came down but no invader came with it but still I stared down that corridor.

And then I was backstabbed.

The guy was completely invisible, and as I turned in surprise raising my shield I got backstabbed again and died. Now, I don't know if that's a genuine ring/spell or whatever but that's just fucking stupid. So, with one remaining humanity to call on the NPC for help in the boss fight I respawned and used it. Again I was invaded while I was fighting the knights on the steps and I quit to dashboard in annoyance and I've done that every time since. I accept invading is part of the game but at least let me see the fucker whose invading me.

Yeah, that is the case. I got lucky and had one drop almost immediately - I don't think they're too rare, but you're right, it will be a pain!

Woohoo! Got one. Only took about 10 runs. lol! Got Transient Curse coming out my rat-hole.

Only need Titanite Catch Pole and Sword of Moonlight.

Guess i better get farming that respawning Prowling Demon in Lost Izalith. Shame i don't have the shortcut open. It'll take forever to get there & back. Hmmm! Might farm Humanity instead, join that Covenant again. Damn grinding! :(

That'd be me. At Anor Londo I had such a tough time getting to the boss fight simply because EVERY time I turned myself human I'd get invaded. And I mean every...single....time. I fought these fuckers and always lost. The final straw came when I died, respawned at my bonfire, used my 2nd to last Humanity so I could get some sort of help against Smough & Ornstein, and was immediately invaded. I waited hidden behind a wall by the bonfire at the bottom of the circular staircase and after a minute two the staircase was called up meaning the invader was coming down. I had a clear view down the corridor and I watched and waited. The staircase came down but no invader came with it but still I stared down that corridor.

And then I was backstabbed.

The guy was completely invisible, and as I turned in surprise raising my shield I got backstabbed again and died. Now, I don't know if that's a genuine ring/spell or whatever but that's just fucking stupid. So, with one remaining humanity to call on the NPC for help in the boss fight I respawned and used it. Again I was invaded while I was fighting the knights on the steps and I quit to dashboard in annoyance and I've done that every since. I accept invading is part of the game but at least let me see the fucker whose invading me.

I dont blame you really, when all you want to do is crack on with the main game, getting invaded is such a pain in the fucking arse. Ive only been invaded while doing coop tho so its not so bad, but the PVP in dark souls is fairly broken with the fog ring and all, so its unsurprising some people dont like having campaign progress messed up by some fucking invisible cretin. I play dark souls, and demons, for co-op, ive never once invaded anyone or have any interest in doing PVP.

The guy was completely invisible, and as I turned in surprise raising my shield I got backstabbed again and died. Now, I don't know if that's a genuine ring/spell or whatever but that's just fucking stupid. So, with one remaining humanity to call on the NPC for help in the boss fight I respawned and used it. Again I was invaded while I was fighting the knights on the steps and I quit to dashboard in annoyance and I've done that every since. I accept invading is part of the game but at least let me see the fucker whose invading me.

That would be the spell

Hidden Body

Ancient sorcery of the lost land of Oolacile.

Turns body nearly invisible.

Although perfect invisibility is unachievable due to the risk of dissipation, the caster need only stand still for a moment to blend in to environs with astounding camouflage.

- Aura still visible as before.

- Stacks with Ring of Fog (vs. NPC's. Unverified vs. players).

- Invading human players may use this spell just to avoid being locked and perform a critical backstab so be careful as you won't be able to lock-on to them.

So i have finally caught up with the thread, 30 + pages i had to read, just shows how popular the game is the rate this thread grows.

Reached Blighttown last night and got a feeling its going to be pretty painful.

Quick question i want to start upgrading weapons is there a good place to gind for shards?

I am in need of some guidance regarding upgrading weapons, shield and gear.

How?

I have been using the Dragon Sword since the start and I can upgrade that but not wield it (not have the required dex). I have a lot of other weapons - winged spear, halberd, 3 massive axes I can not wield, katana, falchions etc - but no clue on how to upgrade em. Are there different upgrade path, what is the 'best' one, what should I focus on etc. Any help is much appreciated. Right now I am sort of stuck. I can not defeat the Blighttown boss so this is a good as time as any to upgrade my stuff.

FAO Deef

There are 5 upgrade types of weapons and armor in this game:

Normal - weapons can be completely customized with upgrade paths (see below). Uses normal and colored titanite for upgrades.

Special - can be upgraded to +5. Uses Twinkling Titanite for upgrades.

Dragon - can be upgraded to +5. Uses Dragon Scales for upgrades.

Boss - made from specific Normal+10 weapons/shields and boss souls. Uses Demon Titanite for upgrades.

Non-upgradeable - item cannot be upgraded at all.

To begin the upgrade process you must visit a Blacksmith or buy the armor/weapon upgrade kits and be at a bonfire. Special and Dragon weapons are very simple, you just use souls and the appropriate materials to improve them up to a maximum of +5. Boss weapons are fairly simple too, they just require a specific Boss soul and a normal weapon+10 of a specific type (ie for Quelaag's Furysword you need Quelaag's soul and a +10 curved sword type weapon), followed by a visit to the Giant blacksmith in Anor Londo to create it. Once crafted you can further upgrade Boss items to +5 max with Demon Titanite at any blacksmith/bonfire.

Normal weapons are where a lot of the confusion comes in; this is how it works:

First off take the Normal weapon you want and upgrade it to +5. This will take 9 Titanite Shards and can be done anywhere you can reinforce weapons. Once you hit +5 you have reached the primary Ascension point and there are several paths to choose from. Note that all of these must be chosen from "Ascend Weapon", NOT "Reinforce Weapon" and therefore must be done at a specific Blacksmith after obtaining the necessary ember:

Normal+6 - Visit Andre (Undead Parish) with 1 Large Titanite Shard. Requires Large ember.

Raw - Visit Andre (Undead Parish) with 1 Large Titanite Shard. Requires Large ember.

Magic - Visit Rickert (New Londo Ruins) with 1 Green Titanite Shard.

Divine - Visit Andre (Undead Parish) with 1 Green Titanite Shard. Requires Divine ember.

Fire - Visit Vamos (Catacombs) with 1 Green Titanite Shard.

Once you've completed the first stage of upgrades you can upgrade to the next multiple of 5 (Normal+10, Raw+5, Magic+5, Divine+5, Fire+5) anywhere you can reinforce weapons. Note that Raw weapons cap at +5 and cannot upgrade any more after that. The secondary Ascension point begins at Normal+10, Magic+5, Divine+5 or Fire+5 and is as follows. Again, these must be chosen from the Ascend Weapon menu option at the appropriate Blacksmith (after obtaining the necessary ember):

Normal+11 - Visit Andre (Undead Parish) with 1 Titanite Chunk and a Normal+10 weapon. Requires Very large ember.

Crystal - Visit Rickert (New Londo Ruins) with 1 Titanite Chunk and a Normal+10 weapon. Requires Crystal ember.

Magic+6 - Visit Rickert (New Londo Ruins) with 1 Blue Titanite Chunk and a Magic+5 weapon. Requires Large magic ember.

Enchanted - Visit Rickert (New Londo Ruins) with 1 Blue Titanite Chunk and a Magic+5 weapon. Requires Enchanted ember.

Divine+6 - Visit Andre (Undead Parish) with 1 White Titanite Chunk and a Divine+5 weapon. Requires Large Divine ember.

Occult - Visit Andre (Undead Parish) with 1 White Titanite Chunk and a Divine+5 weapon. Requires Dark Ember.

Lightning - Visit Giant Blacksmith (Anor Londo) with 1 Titanite Chunk with a Normal+10 weapon.

Boss - Visit Giant Blacksmith (Anor Londo) with a Boss Soul and the appropriate Normal+10 weapon.

Fire+6 - Visit Vamos (Catacombs) with 1 Red Titanite Chunk and a Fire+5 weapon. Requires Large fire ember.

Chaos - Visit Vamos (Catacombs) with 1 Red Titanite Chunk and a Fire+5 weapon. Requires Chaos ember.

These are the final weapon upgrade paths, and after choosing them you can finish the upgrades anywhere you can reinforce weapons, even the the final upgrade requiring a slab (see below). For this reason it is a good idea to get enough materials to Ascend all the weapons you plan to in a single trip (especially when going to Vamos), and then reinforce them later at a bonfire.

Upgrade materials

Once you reach the primary ascension point, normal weapons require different kinds of titanite to continue upgrading as listed above. These are all the upgrade items and the easiest (IMHO) place to acquire them. Note that if I list "feed Frampt" that means the menu choice, NOT choosing the item after picking "Feed Item":

Titanite Shard - feed Frampt a Large Titanite Shard or Green Titanite Shard for 5 of them.

Large Titanite Shard - Leeches in Blighttown swamp, or feed Frampt a Titanite Chunk for 3.

Green Titanite Shard - Leeches in Blighttown swamp drop 5 at a time (probably a bug).

Regular/White/Red/Blue Titanite Chunks - Black Knights in the final area, guaranteed drop.

Titanite Slab - Boss of Undead Asylum (revisited).

Red Titanite Slab - poison pit area in Lost Izalith (near boss).

Blue Titanite Slab - invisible pathway in Crystal Caves.

White Titanite Slab - Pinwheel/Skeleton baby room in Tomb of the Giants.

Demon Titanite - Guaranteed from Prowling Demons throughout the game, one respawns near the Lost Izalith shortcut.

Twinkling Titanite - Crystal slimes, guaranteed drop (plus other titanites).

Dragon Scale - Several bosses, Ash Lake area.

I am aware that some enemies do very rarely drop Dragon Scales and Slabs, but the droprate is bad enough (even with 30 humanity and a Covetous Gold Ring) that it's really worth just doing a new game+ if you need more.

To perform all these upgrades you need to find the appropriate embers; here are their locations:

Large ember (Normal+10, Raw) - In a chest in the Depths near the Butcher enemies.

Very large ember (Normal+15) - New Londo Ruins, 3rd floor of a building after draining water.

Crystal ember (Crystal+5) - Duke's Archives just before the Crystal cave field area.

Large flame ember (Fire+10) - Path to the left at the bottom of the staircase leading to Demon Firesage in Demon Ruins.

Chaos ember (Chaos+5) - In the lava near the Taurus demons after defeating Ceaseless Discharge in Demon Ruins.

Large Magic ember (Magic+10) - Duke's Archives in the room you fight Seath the first time.

Enchanted ember (Enchanted+5) - Darkroot Garden by the mushroom enemies near Sif.

Divine ember (Divine+5) - Darkroot Garden up the tower after defeating Moonlight Butterfly.

Large Divine ember (Divine+10) - Tomb of the Giants in the room with 5 giant skeletons.

Dark ember (Occult+5) - Painted World of Ariamis, 2nd floor of the Annex.

Also please note that in addition to changing weapon damage and damage type, each upgrade path can change the way weapons scale with your stats. Elemental weapon paths (fire/lightning) completely remove all stat scaling, Raw tends to balance between strength and dex, Magic/Enchanted focus on intelligence, and Divine/Occult focus on Faith. Chaos also removes all stat scaling, but chaos weapons will do more damage the more Humanity you have (up to 10). You do not have to be human to receive the damage bonus.

Until you get the serpent ring, I found the easiest option was to buy them from the blacksmith next to the Church/before the Garden.

God i always forget you can just go and buy them! :facepalm:

So tell me this is there any shortcut i can take from Blighttown to this blacksmith?

I shot the cat, hoping I could kill her... (covenant cat).

She just vanished promising retribution. Any idea when?

Also, any help with the 4 kings in terms of weaponry? Nothign I have (lightning spear) is really cutting it.

Aye, Iron Flesh is a massive help. I've just done it myself over lunch, though I summoned someone into my game, too.

What's the quickest way to and from the Catacombs blacksmith?

I'm thinking it's Firelink Shrine -> push through? It's not that far in.

Then coming back, I'll probably just make sure I've spent all my souls, and get myself killed. I can't picture how else to get to a bonfire without going right into Tomb of the Giants?

I shot the cat, hoping I could kill her... (covenant cat).

She just vanished promising retribution. Any idea when?

Also, any help with the 4 kings in terms of weaponry? Nothign I have (lightning spear) is really cutting it.

if you dont have iron flesh, wear havels armour & use a flame weapon

Speaking of Four Kings - they are a complete cunt on NG++! :(

To make my mood worse, i just died like a complete twat on the way to 'em. Serves me right for thinking those Darkwraiths aren't a problem. :facepalm:

Beer time. And reflection on ones foolishness.

All the upgrade paths complete. Just need Seath's Tail for the last rare weapon.

I was invaded 3 times in a row on Duke's Archives just now, all by the same Japanese player. He tried adjusting his set-up/approach, in an attempt to counter how i'd killed him previously. Little did he know, i'd immediately adjusted my strategy as soon as i saw his gamertag pop up. lol!

Keep 'em guessing, says Sir Curtis. :D